Aspen - ASE

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Do you guys actually have a radar room, or is the BRITE scope in the cab the only thing you use? I went up there a few years ago and saw BRITE in use, but I forgot to ask if there was an actual room downstairs with a ARTS II scope or something.

tmasterson2121

Newcomer
Feb 28, 2014
Kase

Looking for recent info on this facility. I'm a single guy so no family to worry about. Just wondering if it is worth it to go there. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Stuff like living conditions, staff conditions, etc

CraZyAzN911

Jan 4, 2011
ZDC
Re: Kase

Aspen is a very expensive place to live. I'm not sure that any of the controllers actually live in aspen. Basalt, Glenwood Springs, and Carbondale are cheaper. If you are big into the outdoor it would be a good place for you, and of course there is lots of snowboarding and skiing. I'll try to get my buddy to post on here that went there back in March. Are you at the academy now and they gave you a choice to go to aspen?

tmasterson2121

Newcomer
Feb 28, 2014

Yeah I'm at the Academy now and that will be one of my choices. Apparently it is one of the hard to staff locations.

harv

Jun 15, 2008

hear is the prior post that might have some info for you.

[merged threads, thanks! -mod]

Stingchik4

Jan 29, 2014

Tmasterson, did you receive a printed list to choose from? I'm curious what other choices are on there...

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Do you guys still run opposite directions with tower visual separation? For example, you used to launch RWY 33 departures while aircraft simultaneously flew the final to RWY 15. I'm reading a news article from the Aspen Daily that is suggesting you need more separation than that now. What's the scoop?

CraZyAzN911

Jan 4, 2011
ZDC
aspen has a waiver because there is no other option. there is a mountain on one end, it's one way in, one way out.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I'm not at Aspen but I was just in a meeting discussing opposite direction operations and national directives will not allow the use of visual separation at all. Places are to develop local procedures but they must still fall within the constraints of the national order.
Billings just started (officially) doing ODO again this week. Visual separation can be used in certain instances.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
The paperwork they gave us was an ATO document stating the criteria we had to apply provisions of the 7210.3 and it specifically said to develop cutoff points and that visual separation is not authorized. Now I've looked at the 7210.3 2-1-30 and it doesn't have the visual separation wording in there. I'm part of the council at my facility developing our new ODO procedures and would love to be able to use visual if needed but I'm not seeing anything that would explain why we can't; other than they just said no. I doubt there's anything that would qualify us for a waiver either. Ugh.
See if you can talk to someone in the Denver district that'll let you have a copy of the Billings procedure. As far as I know, they were the first one to get a procedure approved and are the only facility besides Aspen that can do ODO. (maybe just district wide, idk.)

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
I heard something in Detroit about new ODO procedures nationwide. I should have listened better... but something about they can't set a national standard for the cutoff point because at some airports that standard will fly an airplane into a mountain (I thought they said mostly Alaska, but perhaps Aspen as well). So the ODO procedures were going to be more vague. Just stating that you had to have cutoff points. Previously we could not have tower apply visual separation at all, but I believe they said there were certain instances with the new procedures (which we do not currently have, but are working on) where the tower can provide visual... sadly I cannot remember what those instances were.

EDIT: There was also something that said, if there is only one plane involved (ie wants to land opposite direction) then it isn't considered and ODO because there is only one plane.

gr8whitehntr

Rookie
Oct 13, 2011
On my list. Near the top of my preference list any new infoor anyone currently there with insight? I don’t like the 50 mile commutecomments I saw on previous posts.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Its the worst facility to work at in the FAA! No money and a long commute. I also was told it's impossible to get a release date. My buddy said he'd have a better life working a Home Depot, in his home town. Although, you could find a sugar mamma in Aspen (Mary Samsonite, lol)!

What other choices do you have?