Associates V. Bachelors

eaamaniac_7

Newcomer
Apr 30, 2018
This fall I'll be starting classes at Lewis for ATC, but I've got a dilemma. Associates, or Bachelors. I already have an associates from the Air Force for aviation maintenance tech. so if I do the associates I would only have to do core classes. I'd rather do the associated unless there are significant advantages to the bachelors. Does having a bachelors give you a leg up in the hiring process or a significant pay increase? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

BAS92

Rookie
Dec 30, 2017
This fall I'll be starting classes at Lewis for ATC, but I've got a dilemma. Associates, or Bachelors. I already have an associates from the Air Force for aviation maintenance tech. so if I do the associates I would only have to do core classes. I'd rather do the associated unless there are significant advantages to the bachelors. Does having a bachelors give you a leg up in the hiring process or a significant pay increase? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
I have my associates in physical science and mathematics, and I was working on my CTI degree when I applied for the 7/17 announcement. I got accepted and made the cut. You have the take the ATSA whether your OTS or CTI. Weighed the pros and cons and applied. Figured I’d take my shot to get paid to learn at the academy rather than paying for the rest of the CTI degree and delaying my academy time another 1-2 years. It’s up to you.

Stingchik4

Jan 29, 2014
I have 2 Associates degrees- 1 in Criminal Justice and the other in ATC (CTI). I got picked up off the 2014 OTS bid and it didn't help at all back then and hasn't done anything for me now except cause me to make student loan payments every month. My 2 year school was essentially everything they teach you in Basics (and a few other unique classes). Do I regret finishing up the degree even though I got scooped up? Well, I decided to finish because I've never quit anything and didn't want to not finish with only a few quarters left. I figured it was worth spending the additional money to actually have something to show for it- another 2 year degreee, haha. I wanted the peace of mind that if the government changed their minds and went back to requiring CTI or military I'd be covered. As far as a 2 year or 4 year for you, I'd just do the 2 year route. Like I said, mine hasn't helped me at all yet, but maybe if I decide to go into management etc down the road it may look good in the resume. Who knows. Just my two cents.

N603NH

Apr 11, 2015
Earth
What degree will help you more if you don't end up making the cut? There is a lot that can go wrong in the process to CPC. Weigh what degree will help you more.