AT Basics Course

Tac

Newcomer
Mar 18, 2015
I've seen in a couple threads here and on .65 that some people got enroute but were hoping for Terminal/Tower...I got Tower and was hoping for Enroute...if someone just happens to call HR to inquire about mutual voluntary switching and they say yes...hit me up, I'll switch!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I am in the same boat. I got Tower and was hoping for enroute. I'd be glad to switch too if they'd let me.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Don't bet on it. HR doesn't have time to please everyone and answer ten million phone calls asking to switch. As we tell two year olds "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit"

Michael

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2011
Florida
I'll say this, don' get your hopes up about the pay out here. Depending on your situation and how understanding SO's may be, you will have to live very meagerly to "save" anything. Here's a quick breakdown:

- You make $10.97/hr

- Per diem for housing is the $50 something (they have gone back and forth a couple times).
---> If you stay at the likes of Kim's Place, or IB (have been hearing not so great things about there lately), or Walnut then sure, you'll be able to pocket a little extra. If you stay at Anatole (where I am along with half of my class, we certainly enjoy and appreciate it here, nice amenities, it's the closest to the academy, very nice and new units and buildings) then it will use up all your housing per diem but you get a little more personal space which is what my wife and I wanted for when she comes to visit.

- Food is $37.40 every 30 days. (So minimum of $1122)

- You'll get reimbursed for travel at the beginning (for instance I drove from Sarasota, FL and got about $550 for the cost equivalent of what they'd pay for a plane ticket).

Once you sign up for health insurance (do it ASAP), and elect to start maxing out all the options you get for savings, etc. You'll take home just under $600 every two weeks. I'll say that I picked a somewhat decent/fair med plan and it's just myself, not wife.

This is just an example of my case. Everyone will vary somewhat but that's the gist of it.

DL0509

May 26, 2016
Is Anatole usually packed or hard top get since it's new?
It depends on the provider you go through. Premier rental usually has more availability but they charge an application fee. Corporate Housing Solutions usually has a wait but they dont charge any fees.

Nkayrob

Newcomer
Oct 5, 2016
This is a problem I ran into myself. I have been out of Air traffic for 5 years and I know that things change on a daily basis but I have small children and a husband to worry about so I was weighing skipping the basics course. After reading the paper that came along with the sign up sheet I realized that there is a website and a code on that paper that takes you to a site that has I'm guessing the material for the AT basic skills as well as a practice assessment. I'm guessing this is their way of helping out those who skipped the course. I'm still going to take the course though just because I do better with learning visually and in a classroom environment.

Truth

Jun 22, 2011
I am in the same boat. I got Tower and was hoping for enroute. I'd be glad to switch too if they'd let me.
I got Enroute and was hoping for Terminal, just due to when I was a military controller I was pigeon holed into Radar and never had a chance at a CTO, thus I can not get a contract job and I've spent the past 2 years hating that I excelled in Radar.

But at the same time, for the most part, Enroute makes more money. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in this for the money as I really enjoy ATC, but the extra money gets me over the butt hurt of not getting terminal.

MI ATC

Rookie
Jun 9, 2014
If you are going to go to basics just to collect extra per diem, you're an idiot. That per diem will get mostly eaten up with housing. Instead, get to your facility 6 weeks earlier, start your real seniority date, get a pay raise, and start collecting night/sunday/holiday differentials.

If you think you need the extra knowledge in basics, then by all means go. But to suggest taking the course to "make extra per diem" is flawed logic. You are just delaying a pay raise and a bunch of actual pay "extras." Not to mention 6 extra weeks as a developmental when all is said and done.

Michael

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2011
Florida
It depends on the provider you go through. Premier rental usually has more availability but they charge an application fee. Corporate Housing Solutions usually has a wait but they dont charge any fees.
Negative. I did not pay any application fees with Premier.

Mark123456

Rookie
May 13, 2012
Any idea how long the course is? I have the option to decline it but I'm debating on accepting the course. It's been 2 years since I've spoken to an aircraft and as we all know, new rules come out all the time with the add-on I've been out of the game.
Basic class runs for six weeks.

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
If you are going to go to basics just to collect extra per diem, you're an idiot. That per diem will get mostly eaten up with housing. Instead, get to your facility 6 weeks earlier, start your real seniority date, get a pay raise, and start collecting night/sunday/holiday differentials.

If you think you need the extra knowledge in basics, then by all means go. But to suggest taking the course to "make extra per diem" is flawed logic. You are just delaying a pay raise and a bunch of actual pay "extras." Not to mention 6 extra weeks as a developmental when all is said and done.
Except that you would not start at a facility 5 weeks (basics is 5 weeks-ish not 6) earlier.... You would still be in the same class as those that took basics. There is not really a limit to how many people can be in a basics class, but there is a limit in how many can be in the initial classes (therefore they limit basics classes to the same amount). The benefit to taking the basics class is to have seniority over someone that skips it (they were an employee a month earlier).

But I do agree that doing it just for per diem is not a good reason. Do it to build relationships with others there, it will make studying easier in initial.

Reactions: Jabberfest

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

You would not get to your facility any faster by skipping basics. You will just join up with your classmates in Initial *five weeks later. Thus, you will graduate at the same time and start at your facilities around the same time. If anything, your classmates who took basics will have more seniority than you since they took their oath five weeks earlier. For that reason alone, I think taking basics is worth lt. Furthermore, its the best time to form relationships with your classmates and get into study groups, which will be extremely helpful later on. And finally, it never hurts to refresh yourself on the basics. If anything, its five weeks of easy pay and it will help get you into the swing of things. I highly recommend not skipping basics, regardless of your experience.

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008

If by skipping basics meant you started the academy at the same time in a different class, then I would agree with you. But since it just means you delay going by an extra month (four weeks, five at most) and join your class after basics then the logic of making easy per diem is a good one. Must have been a while since you went to the academy.

jacksonwalmart

Newcomer
Nov 18, 2016
Basics is four weeks. I would advise against skipping basics at all cost, if you are at all able to do so. Its an easy refresher if you've ever had any aviation knowledge so there shouldn't be any fear of you failing out (only the last test counts.)

The four weeks of basics is great for 1.) getting easy per diem money 2.) starting your FAA seniority should there be the need for a tie breaker down the line and 3.) (and more importantly) getting to know your classmates who, like it or not, are your new family while in OKC. The instructors push it a lot and a majority of the recent students (who passed lol) will tell you that your relationships in class can make or break people. They are your study partners and the people you will rely on to progress through your training. Classes that study together, drink together, go out and do fun stuff on the weekends (i.e. more drinking) together, do better than classes that don't.

Some people that come in after basics is done to join classes have said they felt alienated from the group or just took an extra couple weeks to feel welcomed. That may just be an emo kid feeling and be totally dependent on your personality type, but its something to consider.

If you have family/financial reasons to miss basics, then that's understandable, but if you are thinking of skipping it just because you think you know it all and you just flat out don't need people to get you through OKC, then I would heavily advise you to reconsider.

Good luck out there though!
agreed100%

shayne55

Rookie
Apr 13, 2015
I would 100% recommend going to Basics. The per diem and refresher part of it aside, that is the best time to build your study group and meet your classmates. We had someone join our class when we went across the street and they frankly just never were part of the group the same as the rest of us. You get a chance to settle into OKC as well over that time so when you get across the street you're settled and ready to bunker down.