AT-CTI Fact or Fiction

TerryCraft

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2012
Washington DC
www.faa.gov
First let me introduce myself, I am Terry Craft, currently the Manager if External Training Initiatives within the FAA - ATO Safety and Technical Training workgroup. The FAA AT-CTI Program falls under me. Additionally, I run the AT-CTI Program with regard to the schools and the Program. The actual hiring and application process is handled by HR.

I drop on to SuckMic on occasion to find the most outrageous story of the week, and iut is really fun when there is a good rumor. Unfortunately there are a number of rumors lately that are not so fun, and definitely not funny. As with all rumors there is a little bit of fact that gets expanded into a rumor that has no resemblance to the original fact.

Yesterday I had my monthly telcon with the CTI Partner schools where I discussed the rumors and what I do know, and what I do NOT know to be fact. So here goes:

Rumor: There will be no Fall 2012 Panel: False There will be a panel next week.

Rumor: There will be no CTI's selected from the Fall Panel: False

FACT: The selections made at the fall panel will be significantly less than previous panels. The reason is we have close to 1,400 people "in progress" meaning they have been selected for an interview and/or have received a TOL and are waiting on Academy seats for Initial Training. Unfortunately we are only hiring about 1,000 people for FY13 (October 12-September13).

We have all we need for this year, and enough for the first two quarters of next year. Additionally, we cannot hire over our ceiling of around 15,500 controllers due to budgeting. For many reasons beyond the scope of this message, we did not have nearly the number of people retire as we anticipated. This has left us with a large number of people waiting for an Academy seat, and with no place to put them until people retire.

FACT: The list used by the Fall Hiring panel will be the same list that was used in the Spring panel. It will not include applicants from the most recent announcement. I have not yet received an official reason for this but I am investigating. This decision comes from HR not the CTI Program. Usually, and I do not know this to be the case, it has to do with an error in the announcement which precludes us from using it. I "say again" I do not know this to be the case, but when I find out I will let you know.

Unfortunately I cannot monitor the boards to try to correct rumors but I will be dropping in to help you understand the issues as they come to my attention.

Finally, I want you to know that there is no one who does not recognize what a great resource you are and the value you bring to air traffic control. Being a controller and teaching at the FAA Academy years ago, I see what great employees you make and will let you know what I know when it is necessary.

Remember, Change is Needed for the Jawbreaker Machine!

Terry

bartock

Newcomer
Jun 10, 2011
Thank you for your post regarding the upcoming panel. My question is this; Were the rejection emails sent out yesterday only sent to those who will not be referred, or were they sent to everyone who had applied? I was referred to the March 2012 Panel, but received the email from ACD stating that my application will not be used in this panel.

It would seem to be easier to send out a bulk email to applicants and then manually select them for referral if indeed that was the case.

Again thank you for any clarifications you might be able to give.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you so much. I think the most stressful issue for most of us is that we want to hear this information, but there is no good source or place to find it, leaving us in complete mystery; hence why we turn to StuckMic to find any information possible - even completely incorrect. Hopefully information like this will be easier to come across in the future.

TerryCraft

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2012
Washington DC
www.faa.gov
Thank you for your post regarding the upcoming panel. My question is this; Were the rejection emails sent out yesterday only sent to those who will not be referred, or were they sent to everyone who had applied? I was referred to the March 2012 Panel, but received the email from ACD stating that my application will not be used in this panel.

It would seem to be easier to send out a bulk email to applicants and then manually select them for referral if indeed that was the case.

Again thank you for any clarifications you might be able to give.

It is my understanding that everyone who applied to the August Announcement received the email. Those that applied previously AND in August, if you were eligible for the Spring panel you should be referred for the fall panel.

TerryCraft

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2012
Washington DC
www.faa.gov
Thank you so much. I think the most stressful issue for most of us is that we want to hear this information, but there is no good source or place to find it, leaving us in complete mystery; hence why we turn to StuckMic to find any information possible - even completely incorrect. Hopefully information like this will be easier to come across in the future.

Thanks you for the feedback. I will drop in and not just lurk but answer questions as necessary. As you can imagine this could become a full time job so I can not do it everyday.

SweetJohnnyCage

Sep 6, 2011
It is my understanding that everyone who applied to the August Announcement received the email. Those that applied previously AND in August, if you were eligible for the Spring panel you should be referred for the fall panel.
That makes perfect sense (no sarcasm intended).

Thanks so much for the clarification Terry. It means a lot to us that you came here, made an account, and gave us all the info you had.

Do you know if there will be a March panel as usual?

Aviator786

Rookie
May 23, 2012
Thanks you for the feedback. I will drop in and not just lurk but answer questions as necessary. As you can imagine this could become a full time job so I can not do it everyday.
I really do appreciate the information as well. I just don't understand why when I asked Aviation Careers this morning if they would be considering any, even past, CTI applicants they said no. And that they have no further information regarding it.

Rich

Aug 9, 2008
MA
www.air-traffic-control.com
TerryCraft IS Terry Craft with the FAA and until "I" say otherwise, you can take this as fact.

I just had to remove a user from the site for trying to start controversy in this thread. Be advised that I am not going to tolerate adults acting like children. If you are looking to start rumors and cause trouble I will be removing your account. People come to this site to acquire information, share experiences and meet those in the field of aviation. I am in the process of removing those who simply don't need to be here.

Thank you very much Terry for helping to make these clarifications. It is greatly appreciated.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
That makes perfect sense (no sarcasm intended).

Thanks so much for the clarification Terry. It means a lot to us that you came here, made an account, and gave us all the info you had.

Do you know if there will be a March panel as usual?
If there will be another panel it will be the same time it has been for the past 4 years.. the announce will post sometime around the FIRST week of January and close at the END of January.

Once again giving HR all through February to sort through the names, and then give the list over to the District Managers to make their selections on the panel in March.

So keep an eye out after the holidays for a new job announcement... IF THEY CHOOSE to have one..

KrusT954

Rookie
Oct 7, 2009
So if this is my 3rd panel, im still going to be referred, which is great but will i even know when a referral list is generated? Is it going to show up in aviator or will i get some other type of notification? Thank you again for all your help Terry

beretta01

Rookie
Sep 19, 2011
Tampa, FL
Thank you SO much, Terry! I must say, it is very impressive that you took the time to post this extremely helpful information on this forum; it speaks volumes about what kind of operation you run!!

One more question: to your knowledge, will our Geographical Preferences be the same as the ones we picked in the Spring panel or will they be the states that we have selected in this most recent announcement? Thanks again for all of your help, Terry!

Ryan

smit0258

Newcomer
Sep 2, 2011
DO you know if they will be using the states we had down for the spring panel then? Or will they update our info if we changed our states?

TerryCraft

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2012
Washington DC
www.faa.gov
If there will be another panel it will be the same time it has been for the past 4 years.. the announce will post sometime around the FIRST week of January and close at the END of January.

Once again giving HR all through February to sort through the names, and then give the list over to the District Managers to make their selections on the panel in March.

So keep an eye out after the holidays for a new job announcement... IF THEY CHOOSE to have one..
Josh;

This is not necessarily true. We have a lot of students eligible to take the ATSAT that were not able to in the fall as that was also cancelled due to funding. It is conceivable that we will ATSAT first , then announce, then have a panel. This COULD push the panel into April ish

TLC

TAJ

Trusted Contributor
May 16, 2010
TerryCraft IS Terry Craft with the FAA and until "I" say otherwise, you can take this as fact.

I just had to remove a user from the site for trying to start controversy in this thread. Be advised that I am not going to tolerate adults acting like children. If you are looking to start rumors and cause trouble I will be removing your account. People come to this site to acquire information, share experiences and meet those in the field of aviation. I am in the process of removing those who simply don't need to be here.

Thank you very much Terry for helping to make these clarifications. It is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for laying down the law.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Mr. Craft, thank you so much!

I wish more people within the agency would come on this site and chime in as you did. You have no idea how much we appericate this. Thanks again!