AT-SA?

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
Except in the real world you have to not crash the planes while also calculating the overtake speed to see if you will keep separation elsewhere. Subconsciously or consciously we use math ALL THE TIME in this profession.
Obviously we use math all the time, but it's tied to the reality of the traffic you have presented in front of you. I think AT-SAT math is a way to weed out those with traits who get hung up on distractions and neglect separation. It's a test of the bigger picture, otherwise I think that section would be 100% math with no simulated traffic.

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Obviously we use math all the time, but it's tied to the reality of the traffic you have presented in front of you. I think AT-SAT math is a way to weed out those with traits who get hung up on distractions and neglect separation. It's a test of the bigger picture, otherwise I think that section would be 100% math with no simulated traffic.
I also wonder if its possible that the test applicants will take is not the exact same one that controllers took, since the test was still in its research phase as I understand it. Perhaps they ended up taking some parts of it and scrapping others. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part haha.

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
I took the new test twice, 2 different versions and i believe my class was the last to take it. Its completely different and good luck

Ryanmas9

Trusted Member
Aug 11, 2015
Monroe, NC
Thanks Amber glad you guys were the last because I know we didn't take it. We just took some test that had you balance a line inside of a box while listening to 3 different conversations and having to identify certain things that were said....but the rest was old SAT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jokat989

Rookie
Feb 4, 2013
I think that the test might think that a good controller will be the person who will make a mistake and move on and keep working. If you screw up and keep thinking about that screw up, you just throw yourself further down the shitter. If you are the kind of person who dwells on your mistakes and let's those thoughts distract you from a different task, mybe this isn't the right career.

CTI-LUVR

Aug 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Can you tell us generally speaking what is covered on the new test?
I dont think very much information has come out yet about the test. There are some current controllers and new recruits at the academy that have taken a "version" of it. I'm sure as we all start taking the test, there will be a lot more information about what to expect.

I'll make sure to pass along any information I receive from our CTI facebook page.

italk2planes

Nov 20, 2012
I had to take a new atsat twice and it's pretty much the same sort of deal. They took away some tasks and added in a couple new ones. E.g., no letter factory but they had a task that was pretty similar just a different 'work environment.'

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
I cant wait for everyone posting "damn i sucked balls on that one"

Lol thank God I have a TOL and don't have to worry about that

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
For those of you that don't know....

The AT-SAT stood for "Air Traffic Selection and Training"

The AT-SA stands for "Air Traffic Selection Assessment"

Maybe that will help with your Googling endeavors....

THE MORE YOU KNOW!