AT-SA?

lbetelak

Aug 23, 2016
LOL 47x476? I didn't go to MIT, I guess I'm out
How does someone who was off the street separate aircraft let alone do the mental math at the same time? Wouldn't it be a test where no atc knowledge is needed if they open up to someone who has no atc or cti exp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
How does someone who was off the street separate aircraft let alone do the mental math at the same time? Wouldn't it be a test where no atc knowledge is needed if they open up to someone who has no atc or cti exp?

It's "separating aircraft" with the depth of an iPhone game. You don't need ATC experience to handle these games, which is exactly what they are, on the test.

They exist to judge your ability to maintain situational awareness and control, no real world aviation experience required.

Reactions: Purplelobj

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
It's "separating aircraft" with the depth of an iPhone game. You don't need ATC experience to handle these games, which is exactly what they are, on the test.

They exist to judge your ability to maintain situational awareness and control, no real world aviation experience required.
Exactly. It tests your ability to multitask, not get tunnel vision, do complex mental math, and rebound from errors.

Wrench978

Mar 23, 2015
ZSU
For those of you that don't know....

The AT-SAT stood for "Air Traffic Selection and Training"

The AT-SA stands for "Air Traffic Selection Assessment"

Maybe that will help with your Googling endeavors....

THE MORE YOU KNOW!
Air Traffic Skills Assessment

Bogier6

Jul 9, 2010
Find a practice test online for the old atsat. It will be similar enough to give you an idea. They didn't have online practice tests when I took it, went in blind.

lbetelak

Aug 23, 2016

Good to know. I'm picturing trying to vector planes like in radar lab while figuring out 45x457 and that doesn't seem fair at all let alone if you've never vectored aircraft before

MikeKiloRomeo

Feb 28, 2016
I took it at the academy. I'm sure I signed a privacy agreement, so I won't give details. It's not all that different than the AT-SAT. I forget if they have the dials part. You can get the green book for the train A train B stuff, but the letter factory is no more. It's an apptitude test so expect to do various things at once and don't get bogged down. Use the breaks when you take it! It's not a race to see who can get done first - it's your career.

Last edited:

callmedragon

Rookie
Nov 8, 2010
I am a CPC, I took it during the testing phase. It sucks a lot. The mental math/vector thing is crazy difficult. The good news is I am pretty sure I set the bar low for everyone(not on purpose)

Steveo989

Newcomer
Sep 9, 2016
I would approach this like a difficult college professor, expect to finish and get a terrible grade only to realize it was graded on a curve and you did better than the majority of the class.

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
I am currently in a CTI program, but applied off the street for this last application considering i just started the program last semester, But i passed the biographical assessment and just scheduled my date for the ATSA. Would anyone recommend studying the old green book? and is there anything not in that book that would be recommended to look over?

No one knows.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
First things first, this is a new test that is similar to the ATSAT but not the same. There are no study guides so please stop asking. Practice doing mental math is the best advice that I can give.

Second, IF you pass the ATSA you probably won't find out until Jan at the earliest. No results will be released until everyone has tested. Factor in the holidays and it'll be Jan before you know it.

Timeline for after the ATSA:
Jan-ish notification of passing (no scores given)

PTOLs will be distributed... Everyone who is moving along will be split into 3-5 groups, and also into enroute or terminal (no you can't switch). You will be given a PROJECTED class date. Very tentative.

The group with the first projected class date will begin their medical, background, drug test, and psych test. (They don't interview anymore). If you have any hiccups, just go ahead and add six months to your timeline.

When the first group is finishing up, the second group will begin their paperwork.

After completing your paperwork wait, wait, and wait some more. It is literally like one flight surgeon that reviews everything and will take a long time.

Eventually you will get a class date... I am guessing summer 2017 at the earliest.

tanman1415

Newcomer
Oct 19, 2016
USA (United State of Arizona)
I like how this statement is on almost every forum, yet everyone keeps asking the same question.
First things first, this is a new test that is similar to the ATSAT but not the same. There are no study guides so please stop asking. Practice doing mental math is the best advice that I can give.

Second, IF you pass the ATSA you probably won't find out until Jan at the earliest. No results will be released until everyone has tested. Factor in the holidays and it'll be Jan before you know it.

Timeline for after the ATSA:
Jan-ish notification of passing (no scores given)

PTOLs will be distributed... Everyone who is moving along will be split into 3-5 groups, and also into enroute or terminal (no you can't switch). You will be given a PROJECTED class date. Very tentative.

The group with the first projected class date will begin their medical, background, drug test, and psych test. (They don't interview anymore). If you have any hiccups, just go ahead and add six months to your timeline.

When the first group is finishing up, the second group will begin their paperwork.

After completing your paperwork wait, wait, and wait some more. It is literally like one flight surgeon that reviews everything and will take a long time.

Eventually you will get a class date... I am guessing summer 2017 at the earliest.

takeflight

Newcomer
Nov 5, 2016
That test was insane! Ur given like 3-4 sec response time to answer dang near all off the questions. About time I figured out the answer in my head the test had moved on to the next question. Poor little air crafts were crashing all over the place on my screen smh! So I guess my question is when do u think another bid will be available? How long do the people that failed the test have to wait before they can reapply and take the test again?? I definitely need to redeem myself!

archer

Jan 8, 2016
I took the test yesterday. Even as someone is is current controller in the AF, I felt like I did shitty... At least for me if I don't get picked up on this bid I always have the prior exp bids and contracting options.

bdenny20

Rookie
Oct 3, 2016
Long Island, NY
I've always regretted going into the USMC as a mechanic instead of controlling. The MOS was full at the time, and I never put the effort to lat move. A&P was a nice perk, but that ain't helping me now. Good fallback plan I suppose...

nis350ztt

Feb 25, 2016
How long did the test actually take? (they say up to 4 but I was guessing it might be more like 1 or 2) Is it all basically the same question format the entire time?