AT-SAT Advice and Experience

mikeyschrader

Rookie
Sep 9, 2009
Hoping that we can get a thread together with people's experience and scores for the at-sat pubnat8. I hope we can get some good pointers and advice from recent test takers.

psachs

Jan 8, 2009
Chicago
My quick advice (search around SM, there's plenty more):

Bring a snack. Cliff Bar or whatever to give you some extra energy halfway through. Take a few breaks, even if it's only for a couple of minutes to walk outside the room. Especially do this after letter factory and the scan games, to help you slow your heart rate back down and calm down.

Practice the games. Try to get a good night's sleep the night before. Show up a few minutes early so you aren't racing through a random hotel trying to find the testing room.

The analogies section was the trickiest for me, and when I took the test (last January) it was the very last section, so you're natural impulse is to hurry up and finish the test. Try to counteract this and work through the section methodically. There's a reason they put it last, after letter factory and scan and everything -- they want to see how well you can reason through tricky problems while being in a stressful situation. take a couple deep breaths at the start of the section and think the questions through.

gokorn1

Rookie
Sep 22, 2008
www.treasuretrooper.com
i didn't take any breaks, it seems easy enough. the only hard part was the analogies. Most of the people i took the test with were classmates as not one of them took a break either. Just seemed like it was better to get it all done at once

MeinNC

Aug 20, 2009
Coastal
i didn't take any breaks, it seems easy enough. the only hard part was the analogies. Most of the people i took the test with were classmates as not one of them took a break either. Just seemed like it was better to get it all done at once
Interesting...I am looking forward to getting people's take on the ATSAT for first timers in PUBNAT 8. Anyone out there who took it today? How did it go?

Good luck to everyone else!

BoilerWings

Newcomer
Sep 18, 2009
AT-SAT hot wash

I'm starting this thread so people can tell about their AT-SAT experiences, good and bad.

I took the AT-SAT today (Oct 7) in Peachtree, GA. Around 35 people were scheduled, 10 no-showed. The proctor said that he had about 30 test takers scheduled every day through the 27th. Around 70% of those scheduled show up.

I used the green book and the study guide posted on this forum to prepare. I felt well prepared, no surprises and IMHO, the test was easier than all the prep material I used.

The best preparation I did was reading the posts on this forum. I knew what to expect, and it helped me relax.

Good luck!

freshav8tor

Trusted Contributor
Jul 19, 2009
Re: AT-SAT hot wash

I'm starting this thread so people can tell about their AT-SAT experiences, good and bad.

I took the AT-SAT today (Oct 7) in Peachtree, GA. Around 35 people were scheduled, 10 no-showed. The proctor said that he had about 30 test takers scheduled every day through the 27th. Around 70% of those scheduled show up.

I used the green book and the study guide posted on this forum to prepare. I felt well prepared, no surprises and IMHO, the test was easier than all the prep material I used.

The best preparation I did was reading the posts on this forum. I knew what to expect, and it helped me relax.

Good luck!

cool beans, i take mine on fri oct 9.hope it goes the same way, i have been also using the review material on this site and the green book.

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny
i took the at-sat a yr ago april 08...having taken it before and now getting the invite again...even with my mistakes i scored an 87.3, wq the 1st time out...I am going to take it again...im trying to break over 90-95....

1-i am going to study/practice the math, atc scenarios and letter factory more....i placed more emphasis on the math since i thought that was my weak spot...i screwed up the scenarios the most i think.

I took the test date the furthest out so i could study more...

the location i tested at had a restaurant in it....so i had lunch there, it wasnt too expensive either but yeah bring snacks/drink with you...

TAKE YOUR TIME!!! who gives a shit if you finish the fastest, i finished early but i paced myself and took my time...the pc gives you a timer on each section you know how much time you have...

JenniferAsh

Rookie
Sep 11, 2009
California
TAKE YOUR TIME!!! who gives a shit if you finish the fastest, i finished early but i paced myself and took my time...the pc gives you a timer on each section you know how much time you have...
I am so glad you have said this! Time was my major stressor and I have been trying different ways to keep track of time for myself, so I am so happy to hear that I won't need to! Yeah!

clooney

Newcomer
Jul 12, 2009
just finished the Atsat in Dania Beach Fl. Let me first say, it was a little harder than i expected. I believe some students left without even finishing it..?? But yeah...i crashed two planes into eachother in the one scenario... (if u click on another plane, make sure to giv it a command, so you can fing click off the dam plane and onto another) It happened twice for me with the clicking of planes...but thankfully only 1 mid air collision (i feel bad for the 200+ people i just killed) the other was a handoff.

Math section was alright...compared to the other sections. the letter factory was easy puting letters in boxes and ordering new boxes and stuff, but then it freezes and might ask you. what row/ rows (abcd) has the lowest availability line. What color letter(s) will you need to finish the box, what was the last color box you placed, what color letter was at the top part of the conveyor belt......what a pain in the ass! I did great on the actual simulation here but when they ask you the questions...jeez ;(

and dont get me started on the ANALogies.... water: seep as cloud:...(think drift might of been an answer) Cant really recall many of these.... Maybe people can post the ones they recall?

not meaning to freak anyone out at all. Just do your best, dont quit and keep at it the best you can. If i score badly, i look at it this way...the skies are probably better off without me! ;)

Oh and that whole thing about the time... make sure to keep an eye on your progress because that time does come up quickly when u start to get stumped on problems. In the sections that you can skip the question, try to skip it and put it at the end. Remember, it is better to put an answer rather then leave it blank. If you see you have 2 mins left and 5 questions to go, try to eliminate 2 answers that you know it could not possibly be, and take a 50/ 50 shot at one.

ObXidian

Newcomer
Sep 25, 2009
PA
Hey guys just took the test on Tuesday Oct. 6th 2009 and received my score 2 days later! I passed with a score of 95.8! I will be glad to share my experienceabout the test when i get off of work tonight. Just wanted to share with you guys that I passed.

jholw311

Trusted Contributor
May 27, 2009
PARKER, COLORADO
gokorn1 Re: AT-SAT Advice and Experience

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good job on the test any studying tips or test taking strategies would be appreciated..thanks

jamin35008

May 22, 2009
KROC
Hey guys just took the test on Tuesday Oct. 6th 2009 and received my score 2 days later! I passed with a score of 95.8! I will be glad to share my experienceabout the test when i get off of work tonight. Just wanted to share with you guys that I passed.
Would love to hear your thoughts on each section! Congrats!

Queue

Jul 26, 2009
I know this might be kind of a silly question... but where do you put your stuff when you test? Snack, purse, cell phone, etc. Can you keep them with you? I could see there being cheating issues with that, but I figured I'd ask. If you can't keep personal items with you, where do you put them?

psachs

Jan 8, 2009
Chicago
I know this might be kind of a silly question... but where do you put your stuff when you test? Snack, purse, cell phone, etc. Can you keep them with you? I could see there being cheating issues with that, but I figured I'd ask. If you can't keep personal items with you, where do you put them?
When I took it, there was a table in the middle of the room that everyone put their stuff on. Computers arranged facing the walls. The proctors kept an eye on stuff.

BACKGAMMONSUX

Sep 18, 2008
I took the atsat almost a year ago in anchorage, alaska. i heard from a lot of people to not bother preparing for it. it is an aptitude test, and not a knowledge test. it is designed to test how well you adapt to things. preparing for it is not possible. I took the advice of the people and did very little to prepare. I went in, took a couple breaks, and walked out feeling like i BOMBED it...the days waiting for the score were the worst 10 days of my LIFE....when i did get my score...i was absolutely thrilled! 97.1 other than the guy that got a 100, i was the highest in my class. i was stoked!

my advice is this...relax...the test is nothing....the scoring method is a mystery and you cannot study for the test...you do not need to know anything about ATC to take it and do well.

but know, that the score DOES matter! they see it and will not pick you if you have a crap score, CTI or not, and with as many applicants they have now, they can be pretty picky....