AT-SAT Question

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
OK guys I know there is a lot of info on the at-sat on stuck mic and I have been reading through a few threads dated back in 09 10 and 11. I was hoping to get some updated experiences with this test. Best study guide? Best formula for the math problems? Thanks in advance.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
The at-sat they are giving for this announcement is supposed to be revised. Not sure how much the study guides will help. The stuck-mic study guide for math and angles seemed pretty accurate. Jeremyjustice.com is decent for ATC-scenarios. Never found a good letter factory replica. Analogies and scan are also on the test but I can't remember a good study guide for those, if there is one. Scan was pretty straight forward anyway and shouldn't take much studying.

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
Do you guys use the given formula of d=St or do you have a better, more efficient way?

meagarunt22

Jul 15, 2010
BFE, NM
Do you guys use the given formula of d=St or do you have a better, more efficient way?
OK WTF? I was hired under VRA so I didn't have to take the AT-SAT. I always just assumed it was like the SKT portion of the tests for promotion in the Air Force. So what is to be expected other than questions from the .65? None of the veterans I've talked to know anything about it.

meagarunt22

Jul 15, 2010
BFE, NM
Welp. I just read the FAQ they released and it says if you pass the biographical questionnaire you MAY have to take the cognitive portion. So maybe prior experienced ATCers still won't have to take it?

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
Welp. I just read the FAQ they released and it says if you pass the biographical questionnaire you MAY have to take the cognitive portion. So maybe prior experienced ATCers still won't have to take it?
Do you have the link to that?
I hope you are correct on this one. I am still active duty and I do not want to take leave to take the AT-SAT where ever it may be.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
I could be wrong but I believe everyone has to take the AT-SAT. When it says you may be selected to take the cognitive portion, it means you have passed the previous steps and may continue through the selection process. I don't believe it means you or may not be required to take it.

Providence8PM

Newcomer
Jan 25, 2014
I am almost done with my first week at the academy. On our second day they took us to the offices where they develop the At-Sat etc. We took the biographical questionnaire and the new cognitive portion of the AT-SAT. The person who administered it told us it was for research purposes as far as we're concerned, and then said "this is the new test that will be administered to all new applicants starting in Feburary" but then tried to back track saying "or something similar to this".

The biographical questionnaire was just that. The questions involved prior military experience, prior work experience, prior education, controller experience, pilot experience, CTI school attendance, and your typical bio questions, age, race, etc. Nothing special really. There were a couple random questions scattered about the test that were strange and seemed more like questions seen on the psychological test you take once you get a TOL. "e.g. Would you rather live in a treehouse or a cave?"

The cognitive portion was split into 2. First was the letter factory, and for those of you who don't know what that is just google "AT-SAT letter factory". It was identical to the letter factory that was done 4 years ago when I took the actual AT-SAT, if not maybe a little easier. Second was an audio/visual test, where you were required to use the keyboard to keep a blue line inside of an erratically moving box, while 4 voices, which spoke random nonsense sentences played in your ears,as if the voices were coming from different directions around you. After about 10 seconds the exercise would stop and you would be asked questions about the sentences that one of the 4 voices was speaking. This was extremely difficult and the general consensus in our class that out of about 100 questions we each maybe got 5 -10 correct. It was almost absurd how difficult it was.

Not sure if that really is what the new test will consist of, but that is how it was presented to us. Good luck.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
I am almost done with my first week at the academy. On our second day they took us to the offices where they develop the At-Sat etc. We took the biographical questionnaire and the new cognitive portion of the AT-SAT. The person who administered it told us it was for research purposes as far as we're concerned, and then said "this is the new test that will be administered to all new applicants starting in Feburary" but then tried to back track saying "or something similar to this".

The biographical questionnaire was just that. The questions involved prior military experience, prior work experience, prior education, controller experience, pilot experience, CTI school attendance, and your typical bio questions, age, race, etc. Nothing special really. There were a couple random questions scattered about the test that were strange and seemed more like questions seen on the psychological test you take once you get a TOL. "e.g. Would you rather live in a treehouse or a cave?"

The cognitive portion was split into 2. First was the letter factory, and for those of you who don't know what that is just google "AT-SAT letter factory". It was identical to the letter factory that was done 4 years ago when I took the actual AT-SAT, if not maybe a little easier. Second was an audio/visual test, where you were required to use the keyboard to keep a blue line inside of an erratically moving box, while 4 voices, which spoke random nonsense sentences played in your ears,as if the voices were coming from different directions around you. After about 10 seconds the exercise would stop and you would be asked questions about the sentences that one of the 4 voices was speaking. This was extremely difficult and the general consensus in our class that out of about 100 questions we each maybe got 5 -10 correct. It was almost absurd how difficult it was.

Not sure if that really is what the new test will consist of, but that is how it was presented to us. Good luck.
Hmm. Well that was interesting haha.

cdubya

Rookie
Jan 4, 2014

Wow, great information. Thank you! So, I suppose it's best to list your work experience chronologically (all work experience) on your resume if indeed there will be questions based from work experience, unless it's just strictly related to aviation. How else would they know if one is "lying" or pass/fails on what basis? I suppose any and all information about oneself will be known during the background investigation.

And yes, definitely a tree house!

ECHODELTA85

May 5, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

WTF???? And thanks for the info.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
lol you'll develop an ear for that after some time. most controllers i know can have multiple conversations going on at once and follow along on all of them. Def takes time to develop though, I'm surprised they test that on an entry exam

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
lol you'll develop an ear for that after some time. most controllers i know can have multiple conversations going on at once and follow along on all of them. Def takes time to develop though, I'm surprised they test that on an entry exam
Correct. I would consider it slightly trainable. It took me a little while but it got easier after being a radar supervisor and having to listen to arrival, approach, and radar associate while also taking phone calls and watching my final controllers

bernelong

Jul 16, 2011
New Windsor, MD
Oooooh race on the bio. That little nugget right there has me thinking. Especially considering that this question was asked explicitly during the telcon and the reps went out of their way to say that no such questions would be part of the pre-screen questionnaire. Not jumping the gun yet because I'm thinking that this will be used to measure the number of minority applicants which in-turn may be used to verify the success of the agency's targeted job advertising. Any thoughts on this?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
The race/gender question on the bio is optional and legally can only be used for statistical purposes later on and not used in the hiring process.