AT-SAT score? University? Accumulative GPA?

Jskelly

Newcomer
Mar 3, 2009
West Lafayette, IN
I graduate from Purdue University in May and I was wondering if a combination of your AT-SAT score, university you have graduated from and accumulative GPA plays a strong role in whether you get hired faster or even at all. I know your AT-SAT score states to the FAA whether you are 'qualified' or 'well qualified'. Unexpectedly, I fell into just the 'qualified' group. Does that matter? I graduate from a well renowned school with a difficult curriculum, so I didn't know if this made a difference or not? I have a 3.0/4.0 GPA in Aviation Management-CTI, does this also make a difference?

Sorry for the loaded questions...I just don't get that much useful information out of any of my professors!

Thanks!

DeuceKV

Nov 18, 2008
Kentucky
I am not sure on some of your questions but I do know GPA plays a role, but only a limited one. You get recommended in order of graduation date and then GPA. However, you are recommended in such large groups that the difference in GPA doesn't really matter. Say someone has a GPA of 3.41 but the professor sends recommendations of 50 students then the range for those 50 students might be 2.75 to 3.5. So therefore the people with 3.5 don't have an advantage on you but you also don't have an advantage on the people below you at 2.75.

That information is what my professor told us about getting recommended. I don't think GPA plays any role in actually getting hired...I am sure some of these other people know?

By the way...good to see you on here!!

Jskelly

Newcomer
Mar 3, 2009
West Lafayette, IN
Prof Nolan told you that? He is cheating me out of my tuition!!! Good info Kris, I guess we could told each other over the phone but you got the ball rollin for me...

If anyone has anything else to add, please do!!!

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert
- Off the street applicant
- 86.7% or something on the AT-SAT
- Embry-Riddle (NOT ATC or pilot)
- 2.8 GPA
- Assigned to LAX

opie

stepchild
Nov 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
I know I'm OTS, but I got an offer (for FAI :( ) and they dont even have my college transcripts yet. so as for panels, I'd guess GPA doesn't mean anything (OTS route). now, for a FOL, maybe. donno.

PorkBarrel

Rookie
Nov 21, 2008
University of Utah grad 3.2 cumulative
UAA CTI grad 3.58 cumulative
ATSAT taken and scored 88.2
Hired under OTS
Selected for DFW ATCT

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008
If you're going the OTS route no one cares what your GPA is or was. They just want your transcrpits as proof that you graduated from a university.

CL4TKoff

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2008
Sunny South Florida
If you're going the OTS route no one cares what your GPA is or was. They just want your transcrpits as proof that you graduated from a university.
Yup..

If your going the CTI route, in the ATC career Prep book, it says that applicants are grouped by "Well-qualified" and "qualified" and are referred out by GPA. So basically to my understanding, they make a list of all applicants wanting that state, a WQ list and Q list and list the names of applicants in order according to GPA. But the hiring officials WILL see your application, and it all comes down to if they like what they see, if you have any other aviation experience, pilot licenses, dispatcher certificate, etc.
There have been cases where people with WQ scores have been passed up for someone with a Q AT-SAT score.

what does affect how long you wait is your geo pref - the demand for new hires in that area, and the amount of applicants wanting to go to that area.
I learned that the hard way.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
I know I'm OTS, but I got an offer (for FAI :( ) and they dont even have my college transcripts yet. so as for panels, I'd guess GPA doesn't mean anything (OTS route). now, for a FOL, maybe. donno.
O- You turned down FAI!? Wow, I'm kinda surprised. Welcome back to the waiting game

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
So can you just send a copy of your degree. I've always wanted to have a reason to show it to someone, but no one's ever asked :( Its one really expensive piece of paper.

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008
So can you just send a copy of your degree. I've always wanted to have a reason to show it to someone, but no one's ever asked :( Its one really expensive piece of paper.
You just send an official copy of your transcripts. I'm not even sure if I know where my actual degree is..probably gathering dust in my parents basement somewhere.

Raydon

Happy Camper
Aug 18, 2008
OKC
If you do not have the minimum 3 years progressive work experience they will require that you have either a 4 year degree or a combination of work/education.

I would assume GPA counts only if you're looking to use your college as an applicable reference to meet the minimums

I used work/military only and they still asked for my transcripts which I have sent out to them any way.

P.S. Welcome to stuckmic ;)

HigherScience

Jan 19, 2009
Central Cali
You just send an official copy of your transcripts. I'm not even sure if I know where my actual degree is..probably gathering dust in my parents basement somewhere.
Ditto lol...it's always a conversation starter but I'm sure most people I meet would be surprised that I have NO clue where that little piece of paper ran off to...

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
Ditto lol...it's always a conversation starter but I'm sure most people I meet would be surprised that I have NO clue where that little piece of paper ran off to...
I couldn't tell you where one of mine was. Luckily someone at the U probably thought we would loose them, because they sent me 2.