AT-SAT Study Guide Now Available

yonte

Newcomer
Sep 8, 2009
is it only me who thinks the math problems on the study guide should be updated with the correct answers so it doesn't confuse anyone?

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
is it only me who thinks the math problems on the study guide should be updated with the correct answers so it doesn't confuse anyone?
Post up which ones you think are incorrect and we'll set you straight.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Re: AT-SAT Study Guide

Quick note... just updated the study guide a few days ago to correct a question with a wrong answer (#26 on Math, I think it was). Just a brief update.

Also, if you're looking for more on the AT-SAT, check out What to Expect From the AT-SAT, and the practice games off the home page.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
The study guide was just updated to fix the question which had a wrong answer... think it was #26 on the Math section. Everything else is correct, so if you're having trouble, ask here and we'll help you out.

bradjackman

Trusted Member
May 7, 2009
Boise
Just a thought, but I took the At-SAT yesterday and I don't think there were any dials questions that asked you to determine what scale the dial was reading. For instance, if the RPM dial says "In hundreds" and the needle is pointed to 21, then the answer was 21, not 2100. I think the Stuck Mic study guide has some of these. It DID have some that offered similar answers, but it was only tricky if you read the dials wrong. Such as - needle points to .05, and the answers were .05 and .5, and then two others.

One question I do remember from the math was something like this: If a plane is traveling 165 mph true air speed, and has a 20 knot tail wind, how long will it take to travel 505 miles. - Something like that. It was probably the most difficult question I had, meaning that most of the questions were not too tough.

Also on the analogies, one of the very last questions, maybe second to last, made you distinguish between a changing shade of gray that was almost indescernable. There were two answers that looked identical, until you looked at the dot pattern that made up the gray color. Then going back to the original pair, you could see that the gray pattern darkened ever so slightly from the first image to the next.

Just my 2 cents. My wife thinks I'm giving too much info, so if I'm incriminating myself with giving out test questions, please let me know and I'll pull it off.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Just my 2 cents. My wife thinks I'm giving too much info, so if I'm incriminating myself with giving out test questions, please let me know and I'll pull it off.
You should've seen my wife when she saw me writing this stuff up... "so, are you getting paid for this or something?"

Don't worry about it. There're people in the administration who know about the guide, and we've never gotten any heat for it.

cstorozuk

Newcomer
Jan 9, 2010
I'd appreciate it if anyone who's taken the tests in Canada (or knows someone who has) could tell me if the tests in Canada are similar to the ones in the states. All of the information I've been able to find about the Canadian version tell me that "you can't really study for it". Reading all of the information here leads me to believe that this is not true.

In the meantime I'm going on the assumption that 'it couldn't hurt', and will be studying whatever material I can get my hands on here. Thanks in advance if it ends up helping!

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
You'll probably be the best person for that, having compared it (eventually) to the study guide. I can't imagine anyone who would've taken both the AT-SAT and the CTAATCE.

cstorozuk

Newcomer
Jan 9, 2010
I'm kind of hoping that there might be some Canadians who stumbled onto this site (like I did) and have already taken the test, and for some reason decided to hang around and read this. Maybe too much to ask for...

Anyways, I'm taking my test (I haven't seen it referred to as the CTAATCE anywhere, but who knows) on the 22nd, so I'll let any fellow Canadians know whether this is a useful resource or not.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
(I haven't seen it referred to as the CTAATCE anywhere, but who knows)
That would be because I made it up. "Canadian Test Aboot Air Traffic Controlling, Eh?"

Now that I think about it... there's a guy on JetCareers that's a Canadian controller. Goes by CanadianATC, if I remember right. Might want to track him down.

control10

Rookie
Sep 14, 2009
Tennessee
For those who've missed the post in the ATC Information forum, the AT-SAT Study Guide is now available to anyone who's registered as a user. You can download it here. The guide focused mainly on questions; if you're interested in more of a narrative take on what to expect, check out What to Expect From the AT-SAT. Careful, the author just kind of drones on.

Feedback on either is welcome. We may expand it in the future (and we have some other innovations up our sleeves), but we wanted to make what was ready available for the PUBNAT8 folks who'll be testing in the near future.

Enjoy!
thanks for this! the "what to expect.." part is really helpful. At least to me, who is someone who likes all info possible; which is why I bought alot of practice exams, even if some think they aren't worth it. Everything is worth something! Also, I hear alot of talk of PUBNAT#s. What are they? Ive never heard of what I'm going for. I am a CTI student and we aren't given too much info (or maybe I'm missing the fine print somewhere). I graduate in May and just hope to hear something fast!! :)

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Short answer: It stands for PUBlic NATional Announcement, an opening that was made available to the general public. There were several in 2008-2009.

Long answer: Check the other parts of the ATC Employment forum.

alzy

Senior Analyst
Jan 21, 2010
Earth
Could someone explain Question 30 to me please? Is the actual answer 487.5 just rounded up to 488?
Travelling @ 350kts - 25kts headwind = 325kts.
325kts * 1.5 = 487.5 nm (rounded up to 488)

There are a couple of questions on the real test that are a little more difficult than this where the answer is rounded and the math in your head is fuzzy (fractions and difficult numbers to multiply). The best thing to do is eliminate the obviously incorrect answers and figure the answer from the ones left over. As you see in this case there are 3 answers that are way off the mark (closest being 500nm, and 525nm being there incase you forgot to take off the headwind, 563nm is there to trip you up if you added the headwind like a tailwind).

therefore, if you apply the correct formula:
Distance = speed (airspeed minus wind for headwind, add wind for tailwind) multiplied by time,
you only have one answer that is possible.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Travelling @ 350kts - 25kts headwind = 325kts.
325kts * 1.5 = 487.5 nm (rounded up to 488)

There are a couple of questions on the real test that are a little more difficult than this where the answer is rounded and the math in your head is fuzzy (fractions and difficult numbers to multiply). The best thing to do is eliminate the obviously incorrect answers and figure the answer from the ones left over. As you see in this case there are 3 answers that are way off the mark (closest being 500nm, and 525nm being there incase you forgot to take off the headwind, 563nm is there to trip you up if you added the headwind like a tailwind).

therefore, if you apply the correct formula:
Distance = speed (airspeed minus wind for headwind, add wind for tailwind) multiplied by time,
you only have one answer that is possible.

Got it. It's nice that the Stuckmic guide has numbers that are (for the most part) easily divisible. It's too bad the actual At-sat sounds like it doesn't.

alzy

Senior Analyst
Jan 21, 2010
Earth
Got it. It's nice that the Stuckmic guide has numbers that are (for the most part) easily divisible. It's too bad the actual At-sat sounds like it doesn't.
It's true that the ATSAT doesn't always provide easy numbers to do in your head, but the answer choices are usually such that the answer becomes a little more obvious... most of the time. I don't consider myself a math wizz and I can only remember having trouble with 2 or 3 questions.