AT-SAT Study Guide Now Available

giuseppe01

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2012
murrieta , Ca 92562
For those who've missed the post in the ATC Information forum, the free AT-SAT Study Guide is now available to anyone who's registered as a user. You can download it here. The guide is mainly a practice test; if you're interested in more of a narrative and advice on what to expect, check out What to Expect From the AT-SAT. Careful, the author just kind of drones on.

Feedback on either is welcome. We may expand it in the future (and we have some other innovations up our sleeves), but we wanted to make what was ready available for the PUBNAT8 folks who'll be testing in the near future.

Enjoy!
Thanks alot! I/all of us students really appreciate people like you that stay active on this website and help us along the way. I wouldn't know where to go without it!

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
For question 16, shouldn't there be a tailwind rather than a headwind? I'm trying to understand whether there's a tailwind/headwind by comparing question 16 and question 19. I was under the assumption that if ground speed is greater than airspeed then there's a tailwind. If this is not correct could someone explain that to me please?

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
You're correct - a tailwind does increase ground speed. However in question sixteen, had the aircraft had a ground speed of 250kts, then they would have covered 375nm. With a 30kt HW (220kt GS) they would cover 330nm in 90 minutes - hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if not.

plexiglaS5

Newcomer
Oct 17, 2012
Hey, you guys!!!!!
Taking the ATSAT April 11th!
Which online study guide is a better program: ATC-SAT.com or ATCprep.com..?

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
I wonder why no one from our school in Georgia at mgc has gotten an atsat email. This is disconcerting. It seems we should've received something by now

tfish

Newcomer
Aug 24, 2011
You're correct - a tailwind does increase ground speed. However in question sixteen, had the aircraft had a ground speed of 250kts, then they would have covered 375nm. With a 30kt HW (220kt GS) they would cover 330nm in 90 minutes - hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if not.
i think the question is faulty.

it should read "an airplane with an INDICATED airspeed of 250 knots is flying into a headwind...."

if it had a groundspeed of 250 knots and flew for 90 minutes, it would go 375 miles. but its saying it effectively has a groundspeed of 220 knots (330 miles in 90 minutes), while also stating the groundspeed as 250 knots. it can't do both, unless it stopped in a holding pattern for ~10 minutes somewhere along the way.

Yobits

Newcomer
Jul 12, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey thanks a lot for the what to expect on the at-sat. i took mine last friday in pittsburgh, pa and got well-qualified with a 92%. the test was almost identical to what you described. it made me feel at ease in preparation before and during the test. putting aside all this BS about the academy closing and hiring freeze and what not you still gotta take care of business on the at-sat if you are scheduled to take it, the rest is out of your hands. so thanks again for the detailed description, it helped tremendously.

AirmanJPM

Rookie
Aug 6, 2012
Toledo OH
Go for ATCPrep.com I bought their software and studied hard for about a week. I took the test April 9th 2013 and ended up getting a 100. I did crash 1 plane however on the test. So dont freak out if you hear an explosion or two. Keep your head on a straight. The kid next to me crashed like 8 in a row. Just stay focused and be calm. Oh and letter factory questions were hard as hell. Guessed on like half of them and still ended up getting an 100. So study ATCPrep.com and get a good night rest and you should do fine. Good luck

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere

I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense, as the question indicates the plane does have a GROUND speed of 250kts. Since GS already includes wind, my understanding is that you add the wind to the 220 kts (airspeed) to get to 250 kts (ground speed). I believe tfish is correct, and the question is inherently faulty.

Hopefully they fix the question so it doesn't confuse anyone else...lol

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense, as the question indicates the plane does have a GROUND speed of 250kts. Since GS already includes wind, my understanding is that you add the wind to the 220 kts (airspeed) to get to 250 kts (ground speed). I believe tfish is correct, and the question is inherently faulty.

Hopefully they fix the question so it doesn't confuse anyone else...lol
My bad - I skipped over ground speed and read indicated speed

ChristinaWallace

Newcomer
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi! Great study guide!! I Really appreciate it!! I was wondering if you recommended any other study source for this test? Like a book, website, etc?!! THanks for all your help!!

Nelson1122

Newcomer
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks Guys this is Awesome, as a prior ATC Tower controller with 6 years in the Air Force, this whole AT-SAT is a new to me. This is a good start for the prep!

Krista

Rookie
Mar 21, 2014
I am using the free practice test on this site and am also considering the practice test on ATCPrep or AT-Sat Prep. My question is, is the AT-SAT practice listed under "Platinum" membership different than the one available for free? If so, how does it compare to the ATCPrep and AT-SAT Practice. They are all in about the same price range, assuming a one month platinum membership. Thanks for any help on this. Oh, and what is the 'green book' in reference to the AT-SAT (not the old contract).

cas52782

Jan 25, 2011
I am using the free practice test on this site and am also considering the practice test on ATCPrep or AT-Sat Prep. My question is, is the AT-SAT practice listed under "Platinum" membership different than the one available for free? If so, how does it compare to the ATCPrep and AT-SAT Practice. They are all in about the same price range, assuming a one month platinum membership. Thanks for any help on this. Oh, and what is the 'green book' in reference to the AT-SAT (not the old contract).
Krista I had this question in another forum. Here is what I found:
Stuck Mic Literature - Air Traffic Control Career Prep: A Comprehensive Guide to One of the Best-Paying Federal Government Careers, Including Test Preparation for Exams

Seei28

Newcomer
Feb 1, 2014
I have a couple questions about the tests. For the letter factory how long is the test itself? Is it split up into a series of tests? The same with the scan test and the ATC simulator test. I've been told some are a series of 5 minute tests that add up to 45 minutes. If anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be great. Thank you.

m57

Mar 22, 2014
"Usually ships in 1-2 months." Really? Very helpful for the test I have next week
Exactly why I didn't buy it.

Bought ATCPrep and the ATC-SAT.com tests. They seem practical enough. My only gripe with the ATCPrep is that on the ATC Scenarios portion the pilots will misread the instruction about 40-50% of the time. Very frustrating. Can't imagine the actual test is like that.