ATC Latmove

ikaika808

Newcomer
Jan 24, 2012
I recently reenlisted for a lateral move to ATC. I understand the course is in NAS Pencacola, and it is a 16 week course. Also I am told that I will then be sent to a MAS to train under some LCpl, which I completely understand because he knows more than I do about controlling air traffic. What I don't understand is the actual MOS. Will I be 7251 until I am proficient at my job before awarded 7257? Also I am still waiting to find out when my seat will open for school. I reenlisted last week so I know I have to wait, but does anyone know how long the wait usually is?

Thanks!

rzulu

Dec 20, 2011
I recently reenlisted for a lateral move to ATC. I understand the course is in NAS Pencacola, and it is a 16 week course. Also I am told that I will then be sent to a MAS to train under some LCpl, which I completely understand because he knows more than I do about controlling air traffic. What I don't understand is the actual MOS. Will I be 7251 until I am proficient at my job before awarded 7257? Also I am still waiting to find out when my seat will open for school. I reenlisted last week so I know I have to wait, but does anyone know how long the wait usually is?

Thanks!
The 7251 MOS is a training MOS. You will remain with that, usually until you complete 2 small quals like data and finals or data and ground or sometime clearance delivery and one other. It depends on the facility. Then you will get your 7257 as your primary MOS and receive your bonus (Im assuming you got one). You can then receive additional MOS when you complete your 3 major qualifications such as 7252, 7253, 7254. To school up may be as short as one month to some times 2 to 3. Usually they will send you to the facility to wait there and that way you can get ahead of the game and study. What you pointed out is true, a LCpl may be training you and probably will be thru the majority of you smaller quals. Usually NCOs, SNCOs or civilians handle the majors just because of how much longer it takes to get thru the quals vs how fast promotion rates are. Either way, just remember that whoever is training you knows what they're doing and its their ticket if you cause a problem. Do what they say when they say. Save questions for down time. Enjoy!

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
The wait depends on which air station you're at or will be going to and how proactive the leadership there is on getting the school seat and funding.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
It's been a few years since I EAS'd, but I doubt much as changed......Just some friendly advice: its a tough pill to swallow training under some junior enlisted kid who you think probably doesn't know the end of his M16 from his anus. But I promise you, if the staff nco's are any good, they will be watching how you handle this situation. It is a unique and interesting situation to be in as a Marine, and not all can handle it. As long as your instructors are professional and competent, just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Because believe me, they will be watching....if you can't handle the interpersonal demands of the job, that will increase your chances of being washed out. And many of the senior NCO's will not take kindly if you decide to be a dick to the young men and women they've worked very hard to mentor and train up under them.
As an E3 tower supervisor there were times I ran the show. Anything from training, to making tower assignments to Marines senior to me and even DOD controllers. It was made clear my ass was on the line, and while I usually had someone to gather advice and input from, if I had the tower floor it was my duty. I've trained PFC's and I've trained Captains. Gunnys and Sgts. When I finally promoted to Cpl I already had 6 months as a Tower supervisor.
You didn't say what rank you are, but I'm betting your at least a Sgt. You're about to enter skate mode at pretty much every ATC facility. Train, learn, relax. As an NCO or higher you're not going to be asked to do too much in the ATC world, except learn to be competent in your job.

Rgusmc13

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2012
Hello, I was wondering how hard it is to lat move into the 7251 mos with a reenlistment package. I was interested in changing mos's and from what I've heard this mos is very challenging and it involves a lot of commitment and concentration on the job. I need to know if this mos is an mos where boat spaces are tight or if it is a rather smooth transition with a submission of relm. If anyone has any information feel free to leave a post, whether its advice on the lat move or knowledge on the availability. Thank You.

SSgt Young

Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
There are generally few boat spaces available to lat movers and they are usually given on a first come first served basis. My advice is to get with your career jammer early and try to lock up a spot.

Rgusmc13

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2012
Should I contact the career planner ASAP or should I wait until I am eligible for reenlistment? I'm only at the one year mark.

CrazyCajun83

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2015
The wait depends on which air station you're at or will be going to and how proactive the leadership there is on getting the school seat and funding.

I am in DEP and was wondering possible Stations in which I may wind up after BasicATC in Pensacola. How is the Stationing process, and where all can I go?

SSgt Young

Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
I am in DEP and was wondering possible Stations in which I may wind up after BasicATC in Pensacola. How is the Stationing process, and where all can I go?
Sorry man I just saw this. After you get through school at Pensacola, you will be assigned a duty station based on the needs of the Corps. Your mentor will come to you sometime in block 2 and ask you for your preference. You'll list in order east coast, west coast, or over seas. Your preference list will then be sent up to the monitor and he will place you were you're needed.

East Coast duty stations:Cherry Point, NC, New River, NC, Beaufort, SC, Quantico, Virginia.
West Coast: Yuma, AZ, Camp Pendleton, CA, Miramar, CA, Koneohe Bay, HI
Overseas: Japan or Okinawa