ATC Syllabus or Cirriculum

ATPilot

Newcomer
Aug 12, 2009
I am wondering if anyone here would be willing to post the general syllabus or cirriculum for controllers at OKC, including everything from delivery up to enroute (DEL, GC, LC, Terminal and Enroute).

Or if you know of any ATC instructors who would be willing to give me an overview of what topics must be understood for each of the above mentioned positions/courses.

If you would like further information about why I need this info please feel free to PM.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

olatheatckev

Newcomer
Oct 29, 2009
I am trying to figure out what the purpose is. Why do you want this information? The FAA is a big stickler on keeping some things confidential, maybe you want to call FAA HR to figure these things out. I am an en route student currently at the academy and I P.V. on Monday.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
I don't think that's a good idea for the above mentioned reason.

If you're interested in the day-to-day of an Academy student, there are several blogs out there on it. Here's one that I've been reading lately of someone in Terminal. He puts up a lot of interesting things. Air Traffic Control

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
I'll start a thread sooner or later gathering these all together so we can include them in the FAQ for people who want to read up on it. Thanks for the link.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
if I learned one thing from my time in the military... you do NOT want to blog about your gov't work.... ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE ON A PROBATION PERIOD.

ATPilot

Newcomer
Aug 12, 2009
I'm gonna be submitting a FOIA request for this information. I'm not looking really for specifics. Believe me, I probably know more about some things with the FAA than many do. I realize there is some information that is sensitive in nature, and am glad this is true. I'm actually trying to write an introduction to ATC training paper. That was why I was asking about course material. In other words, how the FAA takes a new hire and trains them, what things must one study. Topics such as the following;

RADAR use, Merging Target Procedures, Holding Pattern Surveillance, Deviation Advisories, Radar contact, radar contact lost, radar service termination, mode c altitude verification/confirmation, transfer of radar identification, radar separation, vectoring, speed control, IFR into uncontrolled airports, Wake turbulence, navaid limitations, clearances, clearance items, departure procedures, route assignment, altitude assignment and verification... etc etc...

What topics are covered for basic ATC training, (I don't care about presidential movements or hijacks or military ops or anything sensitive) for teaching a student clearance delivery up to enroute and terminal radar. Like a course outline and study topics. You know like a lesson plan? Similar to what a CFI would follow to teach a private pilot in training. That is all. I can do the research from there.

However it is probably best that no one here release information in any form, and I'll just see what I can get via FOIA, or perhaps visit an ATC training school to get some info from them.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
Topics such as the following;

RADAR use, Merging Target Procedures, Holding Pattern Surveillance, Deviation Advisories, Radar contact, radar contact lost, radar service termination, mode c altitude verification/confirmation, transfer of radar identification, radar separation, vectoring, speed control, IFR into uncontrolled airports, Wake turbulence, navaid limitations, clearances, clearance items, departure procedures, route assignment, altitude assignment and verification... etc etc...
all of this is covered in FAAO 7110.65. there's an online version if ur so inclined:

ATPilot

Newcomer
Aug 12, 2009
all of this is covered in FAAO 7110.65. there's an online version if ur so inclined:
Right, but does the FAA teach in the same order as the 7110? I'm looking for the order in which the information is taught, a brief and general outline of the lessons.

Lesson 1. ...
Lesson 2. ...
Lesson 3. ...

etc etc etc.

Thank you however for your reply. I know everyone here tries their best to be helpful, and can understand why information is not provided even though they'd like to be helpful. As I said, I do not advocate anyone doing something if it will cause any trouble, legal, job or otherwise.

DFWLVR

Jan 7, 2009
Arlington, Republic of Texas
Why don't you contact the FAA Academy in Oklahoma? As far as FOIA goes, I could see much of the curriculum that you're asking for being protected under exemption #2 of the FOIA....or that the FOIAwould not allow you access. That exemption is so broad that it may depend on how you approach the matter...I would send a power trippy..."I'll just do an FOIA request" message, as it will probably equate to you getting squat. I would

1. Start with the 7110.65 as Roddy suggested.
2. Contact the FAA Academy in OKC
3. Contact some of the CTI schools....they can give you insight on to THEIR training but not the training the new hire receives before being certified.
4. Chill with the FOIA. If you use it as an offensive retort, it usually will end up with your request being denied due to exemption #2. If you just ask if the information is available through the FOIA, you should be OK. (You just came across as using the FOIA as a...I asked and didn't receive so I'll just use the saving grace FOIA to override you) If you didn't then, I'm sorry. You can also read some of stuckmic members' blogs, they are chalk full of cool info.

Good Luck

PoppinJ

Rookie
Jan 30, 2009
I dont understand why everyone is saying this training is so sensitive and secret. Air traffic control is no secret. All (nearly) manuals that we use are posted online on the FAA's website and all facilities frequencies are publicly available for anyone with the proper radios to listen to. What about ATC training is so secretive that we shouldn't be talking about it. Hell, even hijacking procedures are listed in the 7110.65 which is the most sensitive thing I can think of.... except maybe the handling of Airforce One/Presidential A/C which is also available.

DFWLVR

Jan 7, 2009
Arlington, Republic of Texas
I dont understand why everyone is saying this training is so sensitive and secret. Air traffic control is no secret. All (nearly) manuals that we use are posted online on the FAA's website and all facilities frequencies are publicly available for anyone with the proper radios to listen to. What about ATC training is so secretive that we shouldn't be talking about it. Hell, even hijacking procedures are listed in the 7110.65 which is the most sensitive thing I can think of.... except maybe the handling of Airforce One/Presidential A/C which is also available.
No one called it secret or james bond classified. But let me ask you, why are these ATC's given a security clearance? Sure they can find stuff on the internet, heck you can find old declassified FBI files and CIA files on the net. I think what this thread is, is a result of ambiguity as to what is exactly sensitive information. They do not allow voice recorders at the FAA Academy, nor do they allow cameras or video recorders in certain areas....I don't think anyone hinted that this stuff is Defcon 5, requires two keys sensitive, but no one wants to be the tard that gives out the wrong information. The best bet is to go to the source. That's all we're saying here. Don't make it more than it is.

PoppinJ

Rookie
Jan 30, 2009
No one called it secret or james bond classified. But let me ask you, why are these ATC's given a security clearance? Sure they can find stuff on the internet, heck you can find old declassified FBI files and CIA files on the net. I think what this thread is, is a result of ambiguity as to what is exactly sensitive information. They do not allow voice recorders at the FAA Academy, nor do they allow cameras or video recorders in certain areas....I don't think anyone hinted that this stuff is Defcon 5, requires two keys sensitive, but no one wants to be the tard that gives out the wrong information. The best bet is to go to the source. That's all we're saying here. Don't make it more than it is.
I don't know who you think your kidding dude, its a well known fact that the academy is a front for alien research, top secret files, and the hiding place of Kennedy's true assassin.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Freaking sweet. I hope I get signed up for alien autopsy instead of RTF. I heard it might become Pass/Fail next month, too.

jcpilot

May 19, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I don't know who you think your kidding dude, its a well known fact that the academy is a front for alien research, top secret files, and the hiding place of Kennedy's true assassin.
And that's just the first day. Wait till they cover the perpetual motion machine, Bigfoot, Warp Drive, Jimmy Hoffa's current whereabouts......

Just a sec... There's someone knocking on my door.........