ATC Trainees and CPCs: Do You Like Your Job?

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
I'll echo what others have said. Just focus on making CPC, and things do get better after that. ERR to a busier place in a region of your choice, and after making CPC at a busy facility, is a whole different world.

While I've always preached that ATC is not for everyone, considering just how hard it is to become one, it would be a terrible waste of an opportunity to have come as far as you have, only to give it up because some idiots managed to get under your skin. The bottom line is that this is one of the best jobs in the planet, and one of the last remaining occupations with a really good retirement system.

LOLs

Newcomer
Jan 22, 2012
Palmdale, CA
I've been a CPC at an en route center for almost 4 years now and I can definitely say that it gets MUCH much better when you're done training. I think you will regret it. Training was the hardest thing I've ever done. The people, the traffic, and everything is overwhelming. I was only 23 when I arrived at the facility and thought the same as you. But just push through it, and I think you'll find a rewarding and engaging job that pays you very well. Your experience during training will not be anything like your experience being a CPC.

triggz00

Mar 23, 2014
Southwest, FL
I have been working for ISP's for the last 6 years ( Taking AT-SAT in May ) and it sounds like the same situation there as it is working for these types of work environments. Your going to have your people who get under your skin just by the way they respond to normal conversations. Don't give up man, its not worth it. Got to learn to disconnect from that other side of things, be professional and do your job.

shannoneliz

Newcomer
Mar 6, 2012
Kinda late to this post, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

I really thought I was gonna wash out. I had maybe 6 different people training me and 2 of them were pretty damn awful, just really unpleasant people who honestly had me wishing I would fail, just so I wouldn't have to work with them anymore. Everyone else thought I was ready, but they tried to make me think I couldn't do a damn thing right and would talk about how bad I was to each other when I was in hearing distance. I guess they thought since they were treated like shit when they were training, I should get treated like shit. It was a good learning lesson for me though, I guess. I know how not to be when I'm training someone - yelling at your trainee and making them feel like an idiot will not make them better. It'll either make them worse or they'll end up just blocking you out. Either way, they're not gonna take anything from the training other than that you're an asshole.

It gets better after you're qualified. Best advice is that while you're training, you just do what whoever's training you wants to see, even if you don't agree and have a better plan - it's their qual that's on the line. When you're qualified, you can do it the way you want and tell those people to f off.