Atlanta PEPC School Date

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
I was at the ATL PEPC on the Aug 4th and was told my class date is Dec 31.... I guess the FAA doesn't celebrate new years :(
You'll get New Years day off. And that's a friday so you'll have a whole weekend after that. There'll be plenty of people who will go out drinking that night after class. If you're staying at some place like Kims or IB, there will probably be some kind of festivities that night.

Cessna65866

Newcomer
Aug 17, 2009
Sunshine State
I have emailed my hr rep about my current status. I attened PEPC in ATL and I recieved a response saying that she recieved my clearences and that i should expect a class date for Jan 2010. What does that mean? Did I pass everything? If anyone can help I would appreciate it

ATC2Fly

Rookie
May 21, 2009
Houston
I have emailed my hr rep about my current status. I attened PEPC in ATL and I recieved a response saying that she recieved my clearences and that i should expect a class date for Jan 2010. What does that mean? Did I pass everything? If anyone can help I would appreciate it
I'm not an expert on the clearances, seeing that as far as I know I only have my medical clearance..... I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow. Anyway as long as they didn't have anything extra to say about the clearances I would say your all good. I was at the ATL PEPC on Aug 4th.... going to ZHU. What facility are you going to?

Cessna65866

Newcomer
Aug 17, 2009
Sunshine State
I'm not an expert on the clearances, seeing that as far as I know I only have my medical clearance..... I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow. Anyway as long as they didn't have anything extra to say about the clearances I would say your all good. I was at the ATL PEPC on Aug 4th.... going to ZHU. What facility are you going to?
I should be heading to ZMA. I was at the ATL PEPC AUG 4. This sure is long wait. Patience here is a must!:bowdown:

drsarp22

Rookie
May 20, 2009
Haven't seen any Atl PEPC post lately. Anyone getting FOL's or class dates?

I Got a call Oct 1 (around 4 pm) saying they need me in OKC Oct 2 (morning) Nothing like a 16 hr notice to move to OKC! I told them that just wasnt enough time. Now I cant get a hold of anyone.

Would you think that since they called to offer me a school date that I passed all my clearences? I dont have a FOL and havent heard anything else.

sbarnett

Oct 18, 2009
Wow! Where are you from? 16 hours is enough to fly to OKC... I would take a 8 hour notice and run red lights to get there. Spend the next weekend getting my stuff there.

drsarp22

Rookie
May 20, 2009
16 hours is not enough when you have to quit your job and have finals the next week! You know the washout rate in this career is pretty high; burning bridges is probably not the best idea! I live in dallas and could have been to OKC in less than 4 hours. The fact is when you call them no one answers, email them and no one replys, and then thay call you and say be here the following morining and they expect you to drop everything. That is ridiculous. This is not the military.

rostato

Jun 7, 2009
16 hours is not enough when you have to quit your job and have finals the next week! You know the washout rate in this career is pretty high; burning bridges is probably not the best idea! I live in dallas and could have been to OKC in less than 4 hours. The fact is when you call them no one answers, email them and no one replys, and then thay call you and say be here the following morining and they expect you to drop everything. That is ridiculous. This is not the military.
I agree. I would not go on that short of notice...I would be really pissed.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
I would like to think I would tell them I need more time, but I have informed my current employer that I may be contacted at ANY time and given notice anywhere from a month to a few hours away. They knew this when hiring me back. It may not necessarily please them but giving the most up to date and valuable information I have at any given time seems to be saving me quite a bit of worry with it. Were I to be called with only a few hours notice, I am not sure after all we have been through, I could justifiably tell them I wasn't willing to take whatever they were offering. And it may not be the military, but if you think about it, they are not far off. You wait forever for clearances, only have a reasonable idea/input where you may be stationed, are expected to put them ahead of all other priorities, etc... Seems like the military to me.

My $.02

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
16 hrs is more than enough time for me. I keep a bag packed at all times. Sure the washout rate can be high, but if I have to burn a bridge to find out then so be it.

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
16 hrs is more than enough time for me. I keep a bag packed at all times. Sure the washout rate can be high, but if I have to burn a bridge to find out then so be it.
I agree with you. My work alreay knows I could leave as soon as that phone call comes, or sometime after the first of the year. Unfortunately it looks like it'll be after the first of the year. But I've waited this long, what's a couple more months? Haha and it would take me an hour tops to pack up, get my dog, say bye to my parents and be on the road. I'd make arrangements on where to stay at on my way there.

And for some reason I'm kind of hoping for short notice over knowing like 2 months ahead of time. Think it would be interesting. And I wouldn't have to stare even longer at the calander counting down days.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
...and then thay call you and say be here the following morining and they expect you to drop everything. That is ridiculous.
Well... getting a call asking you to be there the following morning is rare. I've only heard of it happening the one time. The next shortest notice was three days. Usually there's at least a week, if not a few.

I would like to think I would tell them I need more time, but I have informed my current employer that I may be contacted at ANY time and given notice anywhere from a month to a few hours away.
Heh, see, I've been making this work for me when it comes to collecting unemployment. Because of how unpredictable the schedule was, I don't actually want to get a job. I mean, if the right thing presented itself I'd go for it, but who wants to hire someone that could be called away at any given time with as little as a day's notice?

Anyway, I have to apply to at least three jobs a week to continue receiving benefits, and I always include that prominently in my application email -- "Please note that I may be called away at any moment for government work with only a few days notice. I realize that this may be a significant concern to some employers."

Guess how many times I've been asked to interview.

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
ha! LOLZOMGLMAOROFLBRB! yeah i'm right there with you! I don't want to find a job seeing as I may be called at any time and it's a disservice to the employer that hires me and I leave a month later.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
ha! LOLZOMGLMAOROFLBRB! yeah i'm right there with you! I don't want to find a job seeing as I may be called at any time and it's a disservice to the employer that hires me and I leave a month later.
Right? We're not exactly unemployed... it's almost like we've been furloughed before we started. It's unfair to an employer to start, get trained, and then leave in the middle of it. And there's aren't a lot of temporary places, short of grunt manual labor, that'll take you when you might not be there the next day.

On that note, I just got an interview offer to... drum roll... test video games. It was one of a ton of Craigslist jobs I applied to just to see what'd happen. I guess I can handle doing that for a few months. It'd be... unique.