ATSS/ET Process

RnR1229

Newcomer
Jun 30, 2010
I had an interview for an ATSS/ET position back in April, is it normal to still be waiting to hear back almost 3 months later? I was told after my interview by the manager that I would hear back within 3-4 weeks after the interview. That came and went, so I contacted HR and was told to wait another 3-4 weeks and now they are telling me they have no idea what is going on. HR says I should get a letter regardless of the outcome. How long did it take you to hear back?

zztom

Newcomer
Jun 13, 2010
Hi RnR1229,
I had an interview back in May and was told I would hear something in a couple weeks. Was told it would be by mail or phone the interviewer wasn’t quite sure. I received a phone call from OKC in 15 days.
zztom

RnR1229

Newcomer
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks zztom. Unfortunately, my interview back in April did not produce an offer letter. But on the plus side, this afternoon I have another interview for a different location. Hopefully this time around goes a little better.

RnR1229

Newcomer
Jun 30, 2010
Scotter,

2nd interview went well. I spoke with HR rep earlier today and will be receiving my final offer letter next week. The position is in Las Vegas for Radar/Comm. My start date is Jan 30th but my training wont be until Apr 30th. How long was your training? Do you know if the FAA offers any type of temporary living? Not sure what I'm going to do in Vegas for 3 months.

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
RnR,

Initial training is about 6 weeks. The first 2 are learning about the FAA and the NAS and math refresher.

The next 4 are comm class where you learn about radios, antennas and testing and certification for comm.

Not sure as to your question about temporary housing? If you mean at the Academy in Oklahoma, they pay you per diem for lodging and food. There are 2 per diem rates - short term schools (17 days or less) receive full per diem of $82.00 a day for food and lodging. Long term schools (you) that are over 17 days get 66% of the full rate. There are several corporate housing areas that accept the reduced rate as well as long term hotels (like Residence Inn) that do as well. Most of them are mentioned on this site.

If you mean temporary housing in Vegas, I think that Vegas is going to be your new home if that's where your position is.

Let me know if you have more questions. I just went over a year and there were a lot of questions that I had that I basically just had to figure out so I know how nice it is when someone can give you piece of mind.

Scotter

abbykai

Newcomer
Mar 12, 2011
Can someone tell me what the math refresher course is like. If I only took basic algebra in school will I be ok? I am looking for more information on the math at the academy and how hard it is. Do people fail out often? How much testing is there. Will I need to study? Is certification hard?

WhiteWolf

Newcomer
Mar 22, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Hi All....First post here. I was just searching for some info on an ATSS position in Baltimore, MD and found this forum.

So how long were you all in the CAPS pool before you were sent an inquiry of availability?

I was registered with the system for about 3 months and finally received a referral notification about 2 months ago. It just says, "Baltimore area" so I have no idea exactly what facility.

No contact for an interview or anything else so far, so I called OK and they said the position was still open and my info was sent down, but wouldn't tell me where or who was the selecting official. Don't know if that was just a pass off or what, but after 2 months, I am assuming I won't get called for that one. I hope it isn't another 3 months before another referral comes up!

RnR1229

Newcomer
Jun 30, 2010
@Abbykai: I'm actually taking the math refresher right now as a prerequisite for a radar class @ the Academy. It's not TOO hard... Algebra 2 was as high as I went in high school, but I did receive some pretty good electronics training while in the USAF so that has helped me a bit, but just to give you an idea of what *MY* refresher is like (yours may be different) here are the chapter titles and some examples of what they want you to take away from each chapter:
CH1) Applied Algebra
ie. M = (Emax - Emin) / (Emax + Emin) Solve for Emax
Answer: Emax = Emin(1+m) / (1-m)

CH2) Applied Trigonometry
ie. This one is hard to give an example without drawing a triangle so to sum it up in a nutshell, just study right triangles and the relations between opp adj and hypot sides. Also initial, terminal sides and direction. Sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, cotangent are important. If you keep AC circuits and wave generation in mind when reviewing Trig you should get what they want you to get out of it.

CH3) Periodic Waves and Phasor Analysis (This basically just builds on Trig)
ie. Find the instantaneous voltage of a 1000 Hz sine wave when e=[250V{sin(wt-60degrees)}] at the instant "t"=0

Keeping in mind in the above equation, w = 2*pi*freq and t=0

And to make equation manipulation a little easier, in the previous lessons we learned that there are 2*pi radians in a circle or in other words the full 360 degrees. So, w = 2*pi*freq becomes...

360*1000Hz = 360,000

Plugging this into the equation we come up with...

e= [250V {sin(360,000*0-60 degrees)}]
OR... e=[250V(sin -60 degrees)]

So plugging sin(-60) into our handy dandy TI-30X calculator, we get -0.8660254

Thus e= 250V(-0.8660254) or e= -216.50V

So now we can say "The instantaneous voltage at instance t=0 is -216.50V"

CH4) Applied Logarithms and dB

I JUST started this chapter today so I can't really help you here, but this is the last chapter in my review before I test.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Hi All....First post here. I was just searching for some info on an ATSS position in Baltimore, MD and found this forum.

So how long were you all in the CAPS pool before you were sent an inquiry of availability?

I was registered with the system for about 3 months and finally received a referral notification about 2 months ago. It just says, "Baltimore area" so I have no idea exactly what facility.

No contact for an interview or anything else so far, so I called OK and they said the position was still open and my info was sent down, but wouldn't tell me where or who was the selecting official. Don't know if that was just a pass off or what, but after 2 months, I am assuming I won't get called for that one. I hope it isn't another 3 months before another referral comes up!
I applied in CAPS in Apr of 2009, received a IOE in July of 2009. In September I had a referral selection for Fort Worth (the only area I chose). Was called for an interview in October and interviewed at the ARTCC that I was to be working at. Sent a TOL in Nov and a FOL in December with a start date of Jan 4 2010. Just went over 14 months with the Agency working in the Automation SSC at the Fort Worth ARTCC. Loving it!!

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Can someone tell me what the math refresher course is like. If I only took basic algebra in school will I be ok? I am looking for more information on the math at the academy and how hard it is. Do people fail out often? How much testing is there. Will I need to study? Is certification hard?
Don't sweat it. They do a very good job of refreshing all your math skills. I had not used basic algebra in 20+ years, it came back with ease and they really help you with the material. You will do fine. Everyone in my new hire class passed with no problems.

Scotter

stoptheviolins

Newcomer
Mar 20, 2011
Greetings!

I have just received a TOL for a position in Oregon. I'm really looking forward to joining the FAA, but I am curious about a couple things, and I'm hoping someone could point me in a good direction (Scotter, I'm lookin at you, you seems to know everything! ^.^) All of my paperwork says "Redmond, OR" but when I did the phone interview, I was told I was going to Fossil, OR. Theres a big difference between the two, and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was like working in Fossil. Also, I have heard about bidding for positions in different places (after you're in for a while, of course) I was just curious about how something like that works. Any insight would be awesome. I hope I do actually get the job!

~DD

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Greetings!

I have just received a TOL for a position in Oregon. I'm really looking forward to joining the FAA, but I am curious about a couple things, and I'm hoping someone could point me in a good direction (Scotter, I'm lookin at you, you seems to know everything! ^.^) All of my paperwork says "Redmond, OR" but when I did the phone interview, I was told I was going to Fossil, OR. Theres a big difference between the two, and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was like working in Fossil. Also, I have heard about bidding for positions in different places (after you're in for a while, of course) I was just curious about how something like that works. Any insight would be awesome. I hope I do actually get the job!

~DD
Greetings DD,

Well I surely don't know that much, I am just able to answer some new hire questions since I've only been on with the FAA for just over a year. Congrats on your TOL. As for Oregon, I was born and raised in Portland, but I can tell you nothing about Fossil. Never even heard of it until your post. About bidding for positions, there is always the opportunity for jobs within the FAA. Some jobs are posted on the "FAA Jobs" website, usually a transfer to a new location. For these you simply follow the application process as spelled out in the advertisement. Sometimes there are "Details" in which an opportunity comes up to try another job for 30/60/90 days to see how it feels and if you're fit for it. Some jobs come up as SOI (Solicitation of Interest) usually through email to employees within the commuting area.

Scotter

stoptheviolins

Newcomer
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks Scotter, that helps! I got the FOL, and will be visiting Oregon in a few days. I loved Portland the few times I've been there, and would maybe want to live there one of these days. I'm excited that I even got picked up, but every one that I've spoken with has said "Fossil, where's that?" Guess I'll find out soon enough!

sledneck27

Newcomer
Aug 27, 2011
I was in the applicant pool for three+ years, got a referral letter three weeks ago, had an interview on Wednesday, got offered the job at the end of the interview. Got the TOL on Wednesday, finished all my processing on Thursday/Friday, and am awaiting my FOL. I guess there is a hiring blitz on right now because theyre afraid they wont have funds to hire new people in FY12.

Ebrown2291

Newcomer
Apr 26, 2011
Just wondering about the travel situations I've been reading about. They say that you may be required to travel up to 200 miles away from your home facility, just wondering if you drive your personal vehicle or what?

Also wondering is an ATSS basically a maintenance man for the facility? I've gotten this impression from the job description and just want to have a clear understanding before I accept any offer for this position.

Thanks in advance

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
I would think if your on the company time if you drive your own car they are going to pay you the miles and lodging. I just got an inquiry for NM anyone else get any inquiries. I was hoping for Phoenix.

LRR1

Newcomer
Jun 21, 2008
Just wondering about the travel situations I've been reading about. They say that you may be required to travel up to 200 miles away from your home facility, just wondering if you drive your personal vehicle or what?

Also wondering is an ATSS basically a maintenance man for the facility? I've gotten this impression from the job description and just want to have a clear understanding before I accept any offer for this position.

Thanks in advance
Normally you are assigned a government vehicle or have access to one to perform travel to facilities.

In my area an ATSS maintains most of the systems and structures. We handle the whole spectrum from maintaining complex electronic systems to engines and environmental. Also responsible for inspection of roads and buildings and monitoring contractors who repair what we can't in house. This can be a very good job given the right location and the right attitude.