Atss Vs Electronics Technician

Jul 9, 2019
Hey Folks,

I am considering applying for an FAA 'electronics technician'. I have applied for 'atss' positions several times with no luck. I currently have a good job that pays well but ready to try something new. I am currently an avionics technician (shop level) for an airline.

Anyway, I have a few questions,
1) What are the difference in an ATSS (comm, nav, radar or environmental) and an 'electronics technician' position?
2) What is the approximate max pay for an electronics technician (at the FAA)?
3) How well does everyone like working for the FAA?
4) Is it fairly easy to 'move around to different positions at the FAA?

Thanks in advance..

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
1) ATSSs maintain and certify a wide variety of equipment for use in the national airspace system. ETs work in a variety of positions from glorified construction workers doing systems installations in the field (I was one) to bench techs working on the same piece of equipment every day.
2). The performance level of ATSSs is H band with some I bands. Many ET positions top out a G.
3). Best job I’ve had since I left the military over 10 years ago
4). It is generally considered difficult to move around. Details and special assignments exist but you aren’t going to just decide to move to say, Florida, and have it happen overnight. Some people wait years for a move to come through.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for the info!
I suspect the opening is for a construction type position. Travel is estimated to be greater than 76%.

BigHorse

Feb 27, 2013
1) ATSSs maintain and certify a wide variety of equipment for use in the national airspace system. ETs work in a variety of positions from glorified construction workers doing systems installations in the field (I was one) to bench techs working on the same piece of equipment every day.
2). The performance level of ATSSs is H band with some I bands. Many ET positions top out a G.
3). Best job I’ve had since I left the military over 10 years ago
4). It is generally considered difficult to move around. Details and special assignments exist but you aren’t going to just decide to move to say, Florida, and have it happen overnight. Some people wait years for a move to come through.

I concur.
I started out as an Engineering Tech 802 and transitioned to ATSS 2101

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
Hey Folks,

I am considering applying for an FAA 'electronics technician'. I have applied for 'atss' positions several times with no luck. I currently have a good job that pays well but ready to try something new. I am currently an avionics technician (shop level) for an airline.

1) What are the difference in an ATSS (comm, nav, radar or environmental) and an 'electronics technician' position?

Thanks in advance..
Curious as to what might be holding you back from the ATSS jobs? Are you prior military with an electronics/avionics background?

Scotter

Jul 9, 2019
Yes, did four years a loong time ago, avionics. That led to my current job.

The positions I have applied were in AK, WY, MT, WA and one here in GA.

I don't have a degree may be a shortcoming. Need a math for an associate in HVAC.

Thanks

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
Yes, did four years a loong time ago, avionics. That led to my current job.

The positions I have applied were in AK, WY, MT, WA and one here in GA.

I don't have a degree may be a shortcoming. Need a math for an associate in HVAC.

Thanks
How long ago did you get out? Are you Vet pref eligible? If you are, with your military training and current avionics experience you should be floating to the top of the selection lists.

PM me, I got a couple more questions for ya......

Scotter

"Y"-Code

May 18, 2017
Hey Folks,

Thanks in advance..
I am an ATSS and have worked with the ES(engineering services/0856) guys quite a bit when they installed our new IVSR voice switch. One of they guys on the project has a wife and kids, and his team was out of LA. He would come to Hawaii during the week, and then fly home every weekend. The ES guys are right knit, but they do travel ALOT. I was joking with their team lead and told him if I would ever get divorced I would move into ES. He did concur that their field has a high divorce rate.

In a nutshell, if you like doing install, travelling making lots of money in overtime and per diem, and working on various electronic projects, then ES is for you.

If I ever do get divorced I'm really looking int to ES. In my eyes it definitely is a single mans job.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
Like Y code said, it looks like an Engineering Services gig. Traveling construction, design/assembly kind of stuff. Prob not bad if you don’t mind being on the road a lot. I did a similar job for the FAA for 5 years, three weeks on the road (no travel home in werkends), two or three weeks home, repeat, and it got old.