August 2016 Tier 2

YouAppearToBeOnFire

Feb 3, 2017
Whats the mandatory retirement age for controllers, including any waivers or special considerations?
56 last I checked. However, you could always find another GS job.

Realistically you'll get your "high 3" where they take your highest 3 years of compensation, average them then do the % off that for your retirement.

Working past that will only increase the % you get.

Personally, if you're en route, after 25 years of making an average of say $170,000. If you still need to work you probably were poorly managing your finances. (I understand divorces happen, medical emergencies, etc).

BX172

Jan 14, 2009
North Texas
56 last I checked. However, you could always find another GS job.

Realistically you'll get your "high 3" where they take your highest 3 years of compensation, average them then do the % off that for your retirement.

Working past that will only increase the % you get.

Personally, if you're en route, after 25 years of making an average of say $170,000. If you still need to work you probably were poorly managing your finances. (I understand divorces happen, medical emergencies, etc).
Thanks, I am just trying to consider if I even want to do this job anymore, life has changed since I applied in 2016. I was given the terminal option so I think I would have another 3 more moves in 22 years before I can get into a tower that makes center money. It might be a little much for an "old" man like myself. I guess I'll cross that path when it happens.

YouAppearToBeOnFire

Feb 3, 2017
Thanks, I am just trying to consider if I even want to do this job anymore, life has changed since I applied in 2016. I was given the terminal option so I think I would have another 3 more moves in 22 years before I can get into a tower that makes center money. It might be a little much for an "old" man like myself. I guess I'll cross that path when it happens.
That's fair man. Trust me, if I wasn't selected for en route I'd care a lot less. I did CTI, sadly, and have been trying to get in since before I graduated in 2014. I have friends who live in BFE at towers they'll be at for years because they can't bid out. I'm not sure I'd really be keen to move cross country for that, especially after everything.

I'd reach out to HR and ask if you can switch to en route possibly.

HerbertCadbury

Newcomer
Nov 25, 2017
If anyones looking to compare timelines:
I'm prior military and alot of my waiting was for the transfer of my records since the VA didn't have them yet.
FAA-ATO-18-ATCEXP-56707 March
TOL: 6/8/18
MMPI:7/13/18
Flight Phys: 7/26/18
Drug test: 7/31/18
Tier 2 status: 5/28/19
MMP2 doc selected: 6/5/19
MMP2 appointment: 7/9/19
paperwork sent to Hope: 8/2/19

Now I'm standing by.

tx4ever80

Rookie
Jul 10, 2012
Kokomo, IN
I was tier 2 from this bid and just cleared my tier 2 Sep. 2019. Completed my second drug test and physical. All done Oct 9, 2019 and now just waiting for a list, hopefully.

BX172

Jan 14, 2009
North Texas
I was tier 2 from this bid and just cleared my tier 2 Sep. 2019. Completed my second drug test and physical. All done Oct 9, 2019 and now just waiting for a list, hopefully.
Good luck, it took me 18 months to get a T2 appointment, and Its been 6 months since I've seen the doctor again. I've herd nothing back from them so far.

BX172

Jan 14, 2009
North Texas
I honestly don’t know. I decided to continue living until something permanent comes up.
Good call.

I was just told my tier 2 was completed today, but I honestly don’t think I’m even going to take this job anymore. It hurts to say that because I work so hard in my 20s to get my CTO via the army, but I’ve literally been waiting since 2016 and life has changed, thus my decision probably has as well. I’ll be 34 next month and got the TOL when I was 30. Selling a house, leaving the girlfriend, giving up $112,000 a year at my current job and 4 1/2 weeks of vacation doesn’t seem appealing anymore. It’s amazing what a four year preemployment process will do a guy LOL

Slinky

Newcomer
Jul 31, 2019
Good call.

I was just told my tier 2 was completed today, but I honestly don’t think I’m even going to take this job anymore. It hurts to say that because I work so hard in my 20s to get my CTO via the army, but I’ve literally been waiting since 2016 and life has changed, thus my decision probably has as well. I’ll be 34 next month and got the TOL when I was 30. Selling a house, leaving the girlfriend, giving up $112,000 a year at my current job and 4 1/2 weeks of vacation doesn’t seem appealing anymore. It’s amazing what a four year preemployment process will do a guy LOL
I wouldn’t leave if I made that much myself lol! Since I don’t I’m still fighting my best fight. Waiting and watching... I’m also younger and single so I don’t have any attachments currently. We’ll see what happens next month.

BX172

Jan 14, 2009
North Texas
My VA disability is about to go up taking me to over 120K a year. With that being said, today I reached out to the FAA med team and removed myself from consideration for the ATCS position. Good luck everyone, today's email from them was the straw that broke my back. Time to get on my with my life.

YouAppearToBeOnFire

Feb 3, 2017
My VA disability is about to go up taking me to over 120K a year. With that being said, today I reached out to the FAA med team and removed myself from consideration for the ATCS position. Good luck everyone, today's email from them was the straw that broke my back. Time to get on my with my life.
After reading your current situation I don’t blame you.

I’ve been dating a doctor now for a while, got offered a good job with unlimited potential and can probably make center CPC in about the same time. Same or better benefits and not having to move. She is adamant I’d hate myself for not fighting through the academy.

Funny how you fight for years and they think it’s a acceptable.

keep in touch and best of luck

Reactions: Slinky

BX172

Jan 14, 2009
North Texas
After reading your current situation I don’t blame you.

I’ve been dating a doctor now for a while, got offered a good job with unlimited potential and can probably make center CPC in about the same time. Same or better benefits and not having to move. She is adamant I’d hate myself for not fighting through the academy.

Funny how you fight for years and they think it’s a acceptable.

keep in touch and best of luck
I’ve sold homes, gone month-to-month on apartment leases and moved in friends all to be ready to up and leave when they called. They’re asking me stuff that I provided years ago. A medication I took for a short amount of time. Got a letter from my doctor saying I was on it, but not for the reasons they’re giving me a hard about. My medical was held up, but It was all taken care of and they gave me my class 2. Now, three years later, they want more info on it before they could clear my tier 2! Give me a break, I’m over it. They also wanted some stuff that I handed in a year ago. As sad as it was to tell them bye, it a weight lifted off my shoulders and I feel a lot better.

Haines86

Newcomer
Sep 9, 2011
Anyone else still afloat in this boat at sea? Tier 2 was completed and my HR rep says all my stuff has cleared but just waiting on an academy class date. I am certainly itching to get to work on something new but holy hell. Graduated in '09 plus another 4 years of this process makes me an "old man" (like BX172). I'm assuming I won't hear anything until after Oct. 1 or after the election, who knows. Doesn't look like they've been issuing class dates to anyone lately from what I can see. Anyone else have some credible insight on that end? Thanks.