Background Check

ECHODELTA85

May 5, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
How deep does the FAA dig into your background? Do they dig so far that they are knee high in your past dirt? Like, do they go so far into your history that they would know how many times you were late for work or whether you told your neighbor where he could stick it? I was just wondering. Not that I'm a bad person or anything. LOL!!!:angel:

bloomquis0t

Jan 27, 2009
How deep does the FAA dig into your background? Do they dig so far that they are knee high in your past dirt? Like, do they go so far into your history that they would know how many times you were late for work or whether you told your neighbor where he could stick it? I was just wondering. Not that I'm a bad person or anything. LOL!!!:angel:
My employer just got a standard survey to fill out by OPM as did a neighbor....there was a section where they could add comments....So if you wrote down the address for the neighbor you told to stick it, then yeah...same for the employer..Lucky for me my boss had me go over the survey w/ him.

aaronavtr

Trusted Contributor
Sep 26, 2009
Northeast U.S.
Its the "Federal Goverment", that alone should answer your question. They'll get what info from you they can and what info you don't give, they'll eventually find out.

ECHODELTA85

May 5, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Its the "Federal Goverment", that alone should answer your question. They'll get what info from you they can and what info you don't give, they'll eventually find out.
I don't have anything in my past that would cause me to lose sleep. I'm not worried what they would find. I was just wondering if they put in a lot of effort into knowing some of the smallest detail of a person's life.

Tricky1

May 10, 2011
This was touched on in the mailers thread, but I wonder what they do if some of your references/past employers don't respond to the survey? I'd hate to think this would hold things up.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
This was touched on in the mailers thread, but I wonder what they do if some of your references/past employers don't respond to the survey? I'd hate to think this would hold things up.
They don't expect to get all of them back so nothing should be delayed

MvG

Dec 10, 2010
Yo Front Door
If you've had any prior federal employment they will contact them. I've worked for the IRS and TSA and both agencies were contacted to find out why I left.

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
I found out today that my background check has been "conditionally approved". Can anyone go into more detail what that exactly means? Can someone get a FOL with a conditional approval? How long does it take to get fully approved and how would we know. Thanks!!

MvG

Dec 10, 2010
Yo Front Door
I found out today that my background check has been "conditionally approved". Can anyone go into more detail what that exactly means? Can someone get a FOL with a conditional approval? How long does it take to get fully approved and how would we know. Thanks!!

From my understanding conditionally approved is good enough to get you to okc and even your facility. Sometimes it just takes a little longer to get fully cleared... some people on here say they didn't get their clearance til they were working at their facility.

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
From my understanding conditionally approved is good enough to get you to okc and even your facility. Sometimes it just takes a little longer to get fully cleared... some people on here say they didn't get their clearance til they were working at their facility.
Oh wow it can take that long huh? Okay. Well its good to know that a conditional approval is good enough to make it to the academy. I'm not going anywhere until October so hopefully I'll have full clearance by the time my class date rolls around. Now can anyone tell me how to speed up time til October?? Lol. Thanks for the Info!

zilan23

Dec 30, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Oh wow it can take that long huh? Okay. Well its good to know that a conditional approval is good enough to make it to the academy. I'm not going anywhere until October so hopefully I'll have full clearance by the time my class date rolls around. Now can anyone tell me how to speed up time til October?? Lol. Thanks for the Info!
Well.....the earthquake in Japan did cause the Earth to start spinning faster. I think our days are shorter by .0001 seconds now. :)

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I was at my facility for months before I got the letter saying I was fully cleared. A conditional clearance is enough to get you to okc and your facility

Tricky1

May 10, 2011
Anybody know what they need to "conditionally" clear you, and what they wait on to fully clear? This seems like good news as far as getting to OKC and getting a FOL as soon as possible. I have done all the steps on my FOL and am just waiting to do the MPII-2 follow up. Have to go see Dr. King in Atlanta 6/15. Hoping he quickly can get done whatever paperwork is needed to clear me there.

I was at my facility for months before I got the letter saying I was fully cleared. A conditional clearance is enough to get you to okc and your facility

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
Well that's certainly a load off my mind. I certainly wasn't worried about anything in my past but it's just nice to know everything is done now. Thanks for the info!

FelixMarauder

Rookie
Apr 20, 2011
Memphis, TN
"Conditionally approved" means you didn't outright lie on any of your information; they've pulled basic background information, run your prints/driver's license/credit report. You're not a felon and you don't have debt equal to the GNP of China. This is enough, as others have said, to get you to OKC and to your facility.
"Approved" means they've finished completely clearing you. They'll send the letters to your references (job, personal, residence), dig to make sure you don't have an known ties to terrorist orgs. or that anyone close to you does...basically they'll sweep your closets clean. However, I seriously doubt they'll check or care that you had an argument with your neighbor once. They're just making sure it's okay to let you be in control of aircraft. You MUST be approved to work the floor! (At least in centers. I don't know how towers work their training schedules out)
It's completely normal to have to wait on your clearance, as long as you're "conditionally approved" you're good to go.

As for the MMPI2: is took mine roughly 2 weeks to come back. I think it just varies upon how busy their office it. Sometimes quick, sometimes slow... It's a reoccurring theme...

(Spades9048, just saw your post, that makes sense)