Baltimore Tower - BWI

TinPusher06

Newcomer
May 28, 2009
Didn't see anything here about BWI, so I thought I'd start a thread. :D

I know of people going to ZDC and Potomac, but haven't heard anything about BWI. Is anyone headed there or already there?

I'd be interested in any information about the facility and the staffing, if anyone knows anything.

Thanks!

cuebal

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2009
I'm still pretty early in the process but ideally I would like to end up in the BWI Tower. I'm just not sure about the need for people there at this point. If it is full come time for me to chose my location prefs, my second choice would be the DCA terminal. Basically I'd like to stay local. And being able to look out a window rather than being underground or in front of a radar would be nice, but I don't care much about picking between those two. I've heard ZDC and the new Potomac Consolidated Tracon are nice.

Ironsides70

Rookie
Jun 29, 2009
Bowie, MD
I recently moved to Maryland from Texas in the hopes of getting picked up for a Northern Virginia, DC, or Maryland facility. Although I would go to any facility in the area, I would especially like BWI as it is only a 10 minute drive from my home. I was picked up for Omaha Tower under PUBNAT4, but I declined because the wife was getting transferred to Ft. Meade, MD by the Air Force. Unfortunately I did not apply to PUBNATs 5/6, but I did apply to 7. I have been searching the forums on here and Jetcareers and it seems that BWI isn't picking a lot of people up. I'll be sure to call them before the geo-pref emails come out for #7.

cuebal

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2009
Me too. That's probably my #1, but I guess we're lucky that there are a few facilities in the Balt/DC metro area.

Ironsides70

Rookie
Jun 29, 2009
Bowie, MD
Just out of curiosity, is Northern Virginia a separate option on the Geo pref options? It was November that I last saw the options on the email for PUBNAT4. I would like to stay within a reasonable distance from Maryland. If the only option is VA I know I can comment on what counties I want or don't want, however with my luck they'd still give me Norfolk or Richmond which is just too far away for me.

Also why would you say ZDC isn't nice?

ZDCATC

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2009
ZDC
Wow - just a little harsh there...

I'll admit PCT is a great facility, it is pretty much brand new, and thus going to be a lot nicer than the majority of facilities, especially the centers which are all old...

And it is true that a couple years ago ZDC was leading the nation in operational errors, but over the course of the last year ZDC reported one of the best improvements in the number of OEs, and up till just recently was continuing the downward trend.

We have our share of problems, but from the stories I've heard and from talking to friends at other centers, ZDC is no worse than any other center - they all have their problems. On the positive side for ZDC, we did just get a new facility manager and from all the meetings going on, and the talks between him and local NATCA reps, it seems that he is very much in support of the controllers at ZDC...

As for BWI, I've heard that they do need people but it is all just rumor until someone gets picked up... :D

Flyingfish

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2009
I am not a controller, assistant controller nor even a federal employee, but I hope one of you can help me out.
Is there any way I can E-mail a tower controller or supervisor at the BWI tower? I have some questions as a result of listening to the radio freq. assigned to BWI tower, Ground, and Potomac Approach. I'm all but a shut in and an inactive airplane driver. The monitor is on most of the day to keep me company. I've noticed some inconsistencies that seem to be SOP. And one day I would love to correlate the voices who keep me company with their owners.

Flyingfish

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2009
BWI Tower

What's up with the ground control transmitter at BWI? I'm disabled and monitor TWR, GND, APR and DEP from about 3 NM N and E of BWI as a hobby. 3 or 4 weeks ago the Ground control radio was strong and very clear, 5 square you might say. Recently the signal strenght has fallen off to where I have to throttle that receiver up to full volume in order to hear the controller. I would suspect my receiver, but I have swapped units. I can hear aircraft at area F, and concourse D very clearly, and an appropriate drop in strength from C and B concourses. It seems something has changed with the GC comm. radio. Is there a switch on it, like a marine transceiver to reduce the signal? Is the antenna directional? There must be some explanation. Just curious.

KillaMike

Jun 17, 2008
I recently moved to Maryland from Texas in the hopes of getting picked up for a Northern Virginia, DC, or Maryland facility. Although I would go to any facility in the area, I would especially like BWI as it is only a 10 minute drive from my home. I was picked up for Omaha Tower under PUBNAT4, but I declined because the wife was getting transferred to Ft. Meade, MD by the Air Force. Unfortunately I did not apply to PUBNATs 5/6, but I did apply to 7. I have been searching the forums on here and Jetcareers and it seems that BWI isn't picking a lot of people up. I'll be sure to call them before the geo-pref emails come out for #7.
I know it doesn't sound too appealing, but ADW Twr is an option if you would like to get your foot in the door. I used to work there and it's only a 45 minute drive from Ft Meade; I live by there. The only issue is that ADW has a ton of developmentals now that they released a bunch of us CPC's to transfer to other facilities. With ADW being a level 6, the salary doesn't sound too great but with the new contract, it's actually not too bad for a starting position. I'd keep my options open and consider anything if you're tied down to a specific location.

MsLady

Newcomer
Feb 11, 2011
I am headed to BWI after the academy. Can someone please tell me how much I will be taking home after taxes at academy grad status? I need to know to set a budget before moving there.

Thx

Flyingfish

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2009
It's 09 August 2011, 1400 -1415. I am listening to a female controller on local traffic. How can I talk to her? I have been listening to her for some months and have some questions that only she can answer.

I didn't hear her all last week and so assume she was on vacation and returned Monday the 8th. If you are she or know who she is have, her e mail me <mhlansdell00@yahoo.com>

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Flyingfish:168524 said:
It's 09 August 2011, 1400 -1415. I am listening to a female controller on local traffic. How can I talk to her? I have been listening to her for some months and have some questions that only she can answer.

I didn't hear her all last week and so assume she was on vacation and returned Monday the 8th. If you are she or know who she is have, her e mail me <mhlansdell00@yahoo.com>
Possible stalker alert!

BVI4Life

Jun 8, 2009
PCT
I worked at BWI, and know who you're talking about. I will never give out anyones personal information, but if you have any questions, she was my trainer on 2 positions and our kids play together, so I know her pretty well.