Basics Test

rogersjf

Trusted Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
New Jersey
I was wondering if anyone knows if the basics test that is given at OKC is on everything in all the ATB's or is it terminal/enroute specific based on what you were picked up for. IE being enroute and knowing runway markings and getting questions on that.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
it is "Air Traffic Basics"...it's all fair game. they just spend more time on the specific things to enroute vs the tower/terminal stuff. like when i went thru (tracon) and we were doing strip marking, we breezed right on thru the enroute strips.

rogersjf

Trusted Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
New Jersey
Like you said you breezed thru certain aspects of basics that did not pertain to much to what you were selected for, so my question is subsequently your final test did it have less of the things you breezed thru and more of what was more important to you or was it just questions from every ATB?

keithkeys

Trusted Contributor
Feb 13, 2009
Somewhere out There
I think things have changed since I was there 2 years ago. But it was the same test for all. 5 pre-tests and 1 final exam (only required you to get like a 75, 100 questions, easy compared to the pre-tests).

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
Like you said you breezed thru certain aspects of basics that did not pertain to much to what you were selected for, so my question is subsequently your final test did it have less of the things you breezed thru and more of what was more important to you or was it just questions from every ATB?

it is "Air Traffic Basics"...it's all fair game. they just spend more time on the specific things to enroute vs the tower/terminal stuff. like when i went thru (tracon) and we were doing strip marking, we breezed right on thru the enroute strips.
the reviews they do for the tests are more then adequate...i wouldnt worry about it. there is something like 30 some lesson plans, and only 100 questions. they can't go too in depth at all...but there is something from every section

just remember, "when in doubt, cheyenne out"...

rogersjf

Trusted Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
New Jersey
haha thanks I wish I were to take the basics class but being CTI I go right to initial ao no review classes for me. With that said by the time I get to OKC it will be 1.5 years since taking ATB courses so looks like I have a lot of rereading to do right before i go to OKC.

psachs

Jan 8, 2009
Chicago
Yes, the Basics comp test covers everything. Our class was all tower/up-down and as I recall there were only a handful of enroute/RVSM questions. Like has been said, 100 questions to cover 30-ish lessons and a 70% to pass means even if you miss all the enroute questions, you'll do just fine.

And if you're enroute, yes, you're just going to have to suck it up and remember stuff from sectional charts, the A/FD, aircraft recognition characteristics, and how to read a METAR.

And if you're enroute, just remember,

This is a C172: /

This is a BE90: /

And this is a heavy B744: /

sonicapollo

Jun 4, 2009
Don't worry about the basics test. In the recent xx years, there has been only been one guy who actually managed to fail it twice. If you study your end of lesson test and pay attention the block/final tests will be easy. Seriously, it is not hard. Also, the enroute questions are few and are well covered. Some items are covered in class that are not tested on. We also just breezed over enroute stripmarking, never to be heard from again. I think the extent of the enroute questions lies in vertical separation and radar positions. Seriously, that's pretty much it.

Basics=slack-a-demics

Now, when it comes time to show up to the TSS, it's game on. I also don't recommend slacking off when you go to the Stafford building, your knowledge there will help in the T3D and TSS.

(stafford building is where you are post basics)

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
I threw up just by looking at our low altitude chart and trying to memorize it. :(

Edit: Actually it's not that bad.

Last edited:

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
So what was the EnRoute Basics test like? Would we need to know what all the crop dusters look like?

Last edited:

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
Let me ask this, children... At the end of week one and start of the next... What is there to expect coursewise... ;-)

:patriot:

Zindria

Rookie
Mar 31, 2011
Florida
I'm completely OTS, and I have very little experience in Aviaiton. I feel like the Basic's class will be challenging for me because it is ALL new concepts. I'm going to my basic's 5/16; if ANYONE wants to study, I'll be the nerdy girl who asks all the questions. :)

daveozzie999

Aug 15, 2009
MRY
I'm completely OTS, and I have very little experience in Aviaiton. I feel like the Basic's class will be challenging for me because it is ALL new concepts. I'm going to my basic's 5/16; if ANYONE wants to study, I'll be the nerdy girl who asks all the questions. :)
Should change your profile information then since it says you're a male. :jester:

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
Are you en-route or terminal?

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
its just based on stuff you cover in class. all multiple choice. i got a 92, 92, 89, 95. studied the night before. dont worry about it.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Don't sweat it. There are plenty of people with zero background in aviation who do well. They equip you with everything you need and the instructors are excellent. Flash cards work wonders. And don't be afraid to ask questions in class if you don't get something; some stuff builds on prior knowledge and you don't want to get a few days down the road and realize you have no idea what's going on.

Nistlerooy

Rookie
Feb 25, 2011
ZOA
Should change your profile information then since it says you're a male. :jester:

Creeper.

I guess with the new course layout (our instructor is the guy who writes/reviews/updates all the ATB materials), it's the exact same for en route, TRACON, and tower. We cover the exact same things, though your instructors will tend to lean more towards what pertains to you--not the materials, however. The Test is about 140 Q's (IIRC) all multiple choice. Also, no one can washout based on Academics. Meaning, you could fail ATB and still get passed along to initial.

Now before everyone starts bitching and disagreeing with me, I said COULD. Whether your facility decides differently is another issue. But the Academy won't send you home for failing a block retake or the comprehensive final.

But yes, the basics final covers stuff over all 3 ATO positions.

Nistlerooy

Rookie
Feb 25, 2011
ZOA
Oh, and my roomie here at the Academy hasn't even ever been on an airplane before. Not even a commercial one. And he's killing it. So don't worry about it. They go over it really well and review everything multiple times.