Been out of field for 30 years

luke

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2010
I was an Air Traffic Controller 30 years ago in the Marine Corps. I am 52 now and would like to find out if I have any chance of getting back into ATC. I do have a CTO from 1979. Is it plausible for me to get a job as a Contract Tower Controller?

I have had several good responses to my orignal question, but now find another question or two for follow-up.
What locations would be considered more of a chance for my situation to get hired for? I need to know some lower level towers where I can inquire about getting on at.
I am willing to start virtually anywhere in the country, but I see that the applications for Midwest and RVA are blanket and SERCO has actual sites for employment application, but not knowing the level of each facility, I don't know what I am applying for.
I have also noticed some towers that are non-federal contract towers. How do you find out who contracts these?

EFC

Dec 24, 2008
On a Van by the Sea
By all means!! Apply with all 3 contract companies (RVA, Midwest, Serco). I have seen controllers coming back to ATC as far as 23 years. Try to keep your application to towers without a very complex traffic. Let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Do you have a chance... yes. Is it a good one... not really.

All you NEED is a CTO and be able to maintain a class II physical. With that you are eligible, you just have to plead your case for employment. Your age isnt going to be the hard part to get past, it's the time you've been away from the career field that they will not like too much. Good Luck.

jmcclester

Rookie
Nov 9, 2009
Midwest City, OK
Same boat for me. Ex Navy with CTO back in 1987. Funny how life bring's you back around. Really enjoyed the experience. One's up Two's up Three's up Cubi Approach Checker 35 a flight of three requesting flight break-up for individual GCA's lots of fun.

luke

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2010
I am willing to relocate. Looking for new scenery and a change!! Would like to know of some facilities with light traffic.

whegner

Aug 24, 2009
Former Marine as well--I was out for 16 years so it's doable. I had 5 CTO's so that may have helped me in getting back into the system. Most FCT's are fairly slow so as long as you can separate them, it'll just be a matter of learning the changes in the system. Download a copy of the 7110.65 to brush up on Ch 2, 3, & 7. Where were you rated?

luke

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2010
I was rated at MCAS(H) Futemna Okinawa Japan and MCAS(H) Santa Ana/Tustin CA. I also worked at the 29 Palms EAF at it's conception. It was wild seeing a C5 land on that matting material they made the runway with. AV-8's doing horizontal landings on the stuff was tricky too. I don't know why I got out when I did.

meadelz

Mar 10, 2009
I was rated at MCAS(H) Futemna Okinawa Japan and MCAS(H) Santa Ana/Tustin CA. I also worked at the 29 Palms EAF at it's conception. It was wild seeing a C5 land on that matting material they made the runway with. AV-8's doing horizontal landings on the stuff was tricky too. I don't know why I got out when I did.
I say get in touch with the contract companies. Absolutely nothing ventured nothing gained. Some of them seem to be pro-military...... might just help your cause.

I thought I was pushing the envelope being out 18 years...... what's another 12?? Good luck to you.

upurs81

Rookie
Apr 27, 2010
luke,

GO FOR IT!

Since you had a CTO, that is all Serco is looking for. I doubt if Serco, or any of the other companies, could care less how long ago it was, as long as you can pass the class two physical.

Unfortunately, most military controllers have no idea how to seperate and sequence aircraft. Especially at a general aviation airport. But it really does not matter, since all of the facilities are training someone just about all the time anyway. Serco, will let you train for months on end before they give up. Some of the other companies will require you to get signed off in a short period of time.

I would say that your chance is just as good as anyone elses. In fact, you probably are in a better situation to get hired due to your age. They know that if you are hired, you are not going anywhere else.

Put in your resume and make sure you follow up on a regular basis. If you apply to Serco, make sure you contact Jerry in Murfreesboro and let him know what a great employee you are going to be.

And yes, Serco loves to hire ex military. The people in charge in Murfreesboro are all ex military.

GOOD LUCK....See you soon.

luke

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2010
Thanks for the info. I appreciate all the positive encouragement. I have looked on the websites for the 3 FCT contractors and will continue to work at preparing to get my name out there. I am not quite ready to actually apply as yet, I am still employed with the Fed Gov. and am planning on retiring soon. Since I am still young (at heart anyway) I want to continue in the work force for maybe another 5 - 10 years and thought why not go back to something that I loved. Who is Jerry in Murfreesboro. I presume Tennessee, (My wifes' home state).

upurs81

Rookie
Apr 27, 2010
Yes, Tennessee. That is where Serco's office is located for ATC.

Jerry probably does the hiring nowadays, or has some influence on who gets the job.