Best Ways to Study in the Academy

Seawolf0602

Newcomer
Apr 7, 2018
Obviously keeping your head in the books the whole time is the best way to memorize information, but what are some different ways i can study in the academy to break up the monotony? (Flashcards, group studying techniques, practice tests?) Thanks in advance!

hitch

Jan 2, 2018
ZDV
Obviously keeping your head in the books the whole time is the best way to memorize information, but what are some different ways i can study in the academy to break up the monotony? (Flashcards, group studying techniques, practice tests?) Thanks in advance!
You should know the best way you learn. I personally learn myself by studying backwards and figuring out what everything means along the way. But when im in groups i learn best by trying to teach it and have people asking me questions.

Seawolf0602

Newcomer
Apr 7, 2018
You should know the best way you learn. I personally learn myself by studying backwards and figuring out what everything means along the way. But when im in groups i learn best by trying to teach it and have people asking me questions.
Very true! Thanks !!

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Only study till you know it. Don’t study for 18 hours a day. You’re better off being well rested and not burnt out down the stretch.

Wrench978

Mar 23, 2015
ZSU
Only study till you know it. Don’t study for 18 hours a day. You’re better off being well rested and not burnt out down the stretch.

Thats actually really good advice. and something that a few of my classmates could probably benefit from.

As far as ways to study, through basics, my group would get together each day and just quiz each other on the stuff we learned. looking at what was highlighted in the books, stuff we thought might be on tests, etc.

Now, through non-radar, we split up into groups of 2 or 3 and practice running strips. passing inbounds, clearing departures, resolving conflicts, etc. only a couple strips at a time. we have started running problems in class, so we are rerunning them when we get home if we didn't do well.

Daedalus

Rookie
Apr 6, 2017
I graduated from the academy back in November as en-route and these are some tips that helped me get through.

For a lot of the non-radar stuff group study is great since you need partners to ghost pilot for you. Once you get to radar, a technique that helped me greatly was just running scenarios in your head. If you've seen it a hundred times in your head, when it happens in an eval you're prepared.

If you're going to basics first, treat it like any other class in school. Study the books and try to focus on the parts that are emphasized on end-of-lesson tests. All basic's test are multiple choice so expect to see the same questions over and over again.

Good luck and if I can answer any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Seawolf0602

Newcomer
Apr 7, 2018
I graduated from the academy back in November as en-route and these are some tips that helped me get through.

For a lot of the non-radar stuff group study is great since you need partners to ghost pilot for you. Once you get to radar, a technique that helped me greatly was just running scenarios in your head. If you've seen it a hundred times in your head, when it happens in an eval you're prepared.

If you're going to basics first, treat it like any other class in school. Study the books and try to focus on the parts that are emphasized on end-of-lesson tests. All basic's test are multiple choice so expect to see the same questions over and over again.

Good luck and if I can answer any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Thanks a lot, im sure i will be in touch haha

Seawolf0602

Newcomer
Apr 7, 2018
Thats actually really good advice. and something that a few of my classmates could probably benefit from.

As far as ways to study, through basics, my group would get together each day and just quiz each other on the stuff we learned. looking at what was highlighted in the books, stuff we thought might be on tests, etc.

Now, through non-radar, we split up into groups of 2 or 3 and practice running strips. passing inbounds, clearing departures, resolving conflicts, etc. only a couple strips at a time. we have started running problems in class, so we are rerunning them when we get home if we didn't do well.
awesome man thanks a lot!

WhiskeyMike0990

Newcomer
Feb 13, 2019
Currently in Non-radar and what has helped me the most with memorization is recording myself saying all of the phraseology and clearances and listening to them over and over and over.