Blood pressure max

Fltsfshrman

Jul 13, 2011
FPR bound
I've searched around here and was wondering if anyone has a definitive answer as what the max allowable blood pressure is for your initial physical. Does your age matter or is it same across the board? Any help or links would be appreciated. Thanks

zachoe

Dec 25, 2009
Purgatory, USA
I've searched around here and was wondering if anyone has a definitive answer as what the max allowable blood pressure is for your initial physical. Does your age matter or is it same across the board? Any help or links would be appreciated. Thanks
I believe for pilots it's 155/95 so I would be surprised if it were different for controllers. I'd post this in "Ask A Flight Surgeon" to be sure, though.

atc316

Mar 8, 2011

155/95 I believe...

Got my Second Class Medical Cert right before I left the military back in May 2011. My BP was pretty high (140/85) since I was very stressed out.

Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners

sky55chicago

Dec 3, 2010
Has anyone been able to determine if you are allowed to be on high BP medication before you take your medical?

sgilde

Rookie
Apr 7, 2011
Has anyone been able to determine if you are allowed to be on high BP medication before you take your medical?
The cut off for controllers is 140/90. Yes you are allowed to be on meds. I'm a new hire and have a "special consideration" medical for hypertension, which means I have to get checked once a year. That's all. All the FAA wants to see is that it's controllable under 140/90.

sgilde

Rookie
Apr 7, 2011
Also. Get a letter from your doctor stating the name of your medication and stating that your bp is controlled under the max. You won't have any problems.

sky55chicago

Dec 3, 2010
The cut off for controllers is 140/90. Yes you are allowed to be on meds. I'm a new hire and have a "special consideration" medical for hypertension, which means I have to get checked once a year. That's all. All the FAA wants to see is that it's controllable under 140/90.

140/90? wow, everyone else is saying 155/95

sgilde

Rookie
Apr 7, 2011
I'm sorry. I got my numbers mixed up. The 140/90 means you have hypertension. That's what they want to see it controlled under. But the max is 155/95.

zobel0022

Rookie
Jul 25, 2011
Miami
Age               Systolic       Diastolic
20 to 29        140              90
30 to 39        150              90
40 to 49        150              100
50 and over  160              100

These are the maximums

atcpepper

Rookie
May 18, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Has anybody been given a "Hypertensive Status Report" that they needed to have their physician fill out? My BP was a little over the max and so I had to fill out this form and send it back. Anyone know anything about it and if it held up their process?

Thanks

DeltaLimaMike

May 10, 2011
Alaska
Has anybody been given a "Hypertensive Status Report" that they needed to have their physician fill out? My BP was a little over the max and so I had to fill out this form and send it back. Anyone know anything about it and if it held up their process?

Thanks
I had to do this the following week after my initial medical at FAA medical. Went in 3 days in a row and got the measurements. All three were well below the max, I was probably just stressed out at the flight surgeons office. Had the nurse fax it over to regional medical, and I got a call the next day from FAA medical saying I was cleared.

atcpepper

Rookie
May 18, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I had to do this the following week after my initial medical at FAA medical. Went in 3 days in a row and got the measurements. All three were well below the max, I was probably just stressed out at the flight surgeons office. Had the nurse fax it over to regional medical, and I got a call the next day from FAA medical saying I was cleared.
Nice. I have submitted my form, but haven't gotten a call back. I just assumed "no news is good news" is par for the course.

Should I be worried?

DeltaLimaMike

May 10, 2011
Alaska
Nice. I have submitted my form, but haven't gotten a call back. I just assumed "no news is good news" is par for the course.

Should I be worried?
I wouldnt be worried. A lot of us in Alaska got calls from FAA medical when we got cleared, however I have heard that is not necessarily always the case. Sometimes medical just notifies FAA HR when you are cleared and you can find out from them.