Boeing 777 crash at KSFO

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Looks like they hit short or possibly hard flared and hit the tail short.. SFO now closed to operations.

Last edited:

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
All reports I've heard are that all 303 aboard have been accounted for and ok, but like any early reports from an accident like this, mistakes happen. Edited post as to not mislead anyone.

BWER

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
"We have radar contact and show you on ILS, in the glide path and looking good..."

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
My thought: No Glidepath information available. Pilot misjudged and when he realized he was going to land short initiated the "Go Around". He then Pulled the nose up without proper airspeed and stalled it... Tail hit the seawall..

Most this you can see in the Amateur Video.

PorkBarrel

Rookie
Nov 21, 2008
This incident has me wondering if the MSAW sounded in the tower, and whether or not the local controller issued a low altitude alert. Can't say how many times I've observed the MSAW sound and people working an aircraft will look out the window and determine whether or not they should issue an alert based on how it looks on final.

BWER

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
My old instructor would beat the shit out of you.
Line from Die Hard 2 when the terrorists "adjust" the glide slope to crash a plane.

I think the major news outlets have all used that same terminology on this event sadly.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Whenever the news reports on things that I know about, like when they did the F22 crash here last year, it really makes me question anything they're reporting on that I don't know about.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
This incident has me wondering if the MSAW sounded in the tower, and whether or not the local controller issued a low altitude alert. Can't say how many times I've observed the MSAW sound and people working an aircraft will look out the window and determine whether or not they should issue an alert based on how it looks on final.
4-1-16
Controllers will immediately issue an alert to the pilot of an aircraft under their control when they recognize that the aircraft is at an altitude which, in their judgment, may be in an unsafe proximity to terrain/obstructions. The primary method of detecting unsafe proximity is through Mode C automatic altitude reports.

Just sayin...

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
4-1-16
Controllers will immediately issue an alert to the pilot of an aircraft under their control when they recognize that the aircraft is at an altitude which, in their judgment, may be in an unsafe proximity to terrain/obstructions. The primary method of detecting unsafe proximity is through Mode C automatic altitude reports.

Just sayin...

Exactly...

Sometimes the overlying Tracon here will ring in with a low altitude alert as if I don't hear the msaw. Sometimes I want to just answer back with something witty like " yeah he's landing".... Lol but I know they are just doing their job.