Boise Tower - BOI

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
Hey everyone, I'm origionally from Boise and have been thinking about maybe putting Idaho down as one of my states because I love the city and state so much. So, I'm just wondering if there is ANYONE on here that works in Boise Tower? I have a few questions about the facility...

1st - Is it still an UP/DOWN facility? Last I heard the Tracon part was going to be handed over to Salt Lake Center, is that still true? If so, what does that mean for the people there?

2nd - If any one works there... how is it? I read a while ago that they were building a new tower, has that been completed yet? How do you like it there?

3rd - What is the majority of the traffic, is it VFR, IFR, Military or what? I know it's a level 8 facility so I'm just wondering how busy it gets?

So I know this is kind of a long shot to get someone that might work there or know something about it but I just thought I would throw it out there and see. So feel free to post if you have any information! Thanks so much!

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
1st - Is it still an UP/DOWN facility? Last I heard the Tracon part was going to be handed over to Salt Lake Center, is that still true? If so, what does that mean for the people there?
still an up/down. IF the approach control function moves to another facility then BOI would probably be downgraded and lose some of it's manning. i don't know how they choose who goes. probably by seniority

i'm guessing TWF would lose their "approach control" before BOI does.

2nd - If any one works there... how is it? I read a while ago that they were building a new tower, has that been completed yet? How do you like it there?
i have a friend Kevin that works there. he absolutely loves it. but he's an Idahoan type, if that makes sense. there is a new tower being built. at least 80% done. it looks done from the outside. it's pretty huge and located on the other side of the airfield.

3rd - What is the majority of the traffic, is it VFR, IFR, Military or what? I know it's a level 8 facility so I'm just wondering how busy it gets?
SkyWest flies RJ's, Horizon flies Dash-8s, and etc. a lot of the traffic is VFR civil traffic. on the Guard weekends (ANG or Army Guard) there is a lot of military aircraft. i was in Boise last month and saw a flight of 6 A-10's doing the overhead. what a beautiful sight.

as far as how busy it gets...i don't know. my buddy said it's mostly kick back so at least one persons opinion that works there is that it's MOSTLY slow to moderate.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
i would've loved to have been picked up in Idaho. too bad your only real option is Boise. Twin is a really really slow VFR tower that pays peanuts on the current pay scale. fortunately, it cost peanuts to live in Twin. Idaho Falls would be a sweet facility had it been FAA instead of a contract tower. which makes me wonder...Idaho Falls is busier than Twin Falls, yet Idaho Falls is the contract tower. and Twin is the FAA facility. how does that work??

alangorski

Newcomer
Apr 7, 2009
Colorado Springs
The latest I heard is that BOI is losing the approach control.. Not sure if it was being consolidated to SLC or SEA TRACON... Might want to check before you decide you want to go there...

Butters Stotch

Newcomer
Mar 19, 2009
NATCA is fighting it as hard as they can, but last I heard the TRACON part of Boise was going to SLC. The facility won facility of the year last year for level 8's and below, so I think it would be an excellent place to work.

JustFlying

Newcomer
May 4, 2009
BOI is an up down facility for now. Will be until completion of the new tower most likely in summer of 2011. (Before government delays) Then, the tracon is planned to be combined with SLC tracon. However, Reno was planned to have been in NorCal some year or so ago and has yet to have moved, with no actual date set yet, because of technical difficulties. These same difficulties exist with the BOI move and many many more. The FAA is spending up to $10M more to move BOI than originally planned and have already signed contracts starting some of the process. I don't think it'll actually move until they get the bugs worked out which could be as long as a few years. Until then BOI will be a UP/across the airport facility.

BOI is a good place to work. Management has a good working relationship with the employees and the workforce is becoming younger by the day. (Retirements and new employees) The training process is greatly improved in the last few years and success rate is up. Facility of the year for two years running speaks volumes.

Traffic levels are declining as they are across the nation. BOI has been above the level 8 traffic count for the past 8 years or more and just the past few months have dipped below that. IFR traffic is steady but not enough to bury you all day long. Plenty of slow down times during the winter months. Summer brings much more VFR traffic and complexity soars. Mixing C172's with B737s and A10s is always a challenge. Level 11's and 12's have volume, (and lots of it) Level 8's have complexity. Makes the job fun but challenging. Certainly not a cake walk.

Many people already on the list to go to BOI so make sure you visit the facility, speak with the manager/supervisors/controllers, and follow up weekly. The TRACON issue is still looming large but this summer should decide most of it.

Hope this helped.

jamie10584

Feb 17, 2009
Boise

Anyone work at Boise? If so, how do you like it? How long is the time frame to get fully qualified? Where are the best places to live, etc.

jamie10584

Feb 17, 2009
Re: Boise

Thanks guys! I was beginning to think this thread was invisible :) That is some good info. I am also trying to find out the good areas to live in Boise area... as I think we wont be able to visit before we move there.

kmckyd

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2010

Nobody's in Boise??? Anyone used to work there??

I work there. Sorry for the delay in your response but I rarely check this board. I'll try to be better about that.

BOI is still a level 8 up/down facility. The tower is structurally finished but they are getting the wiring and internal workings taken care of now. The TRACON is still scheduled to move in March of 2011, but the IG of the Department of Transportation conducted a report on the financial implications of moving the TRACON to S56 (Salt Lake TRACON), and the findings (which haven't yet been published) show that it will cost tens of millions more to move to S56 than to keep it at BOI. One thing that we have going for us is that the new tower was built with room for a TRACON. This is something that other facilities (PBI, RNO) didn't get. We believe that the TRACON will stay in BOI but plans right now are for it to move.

BOI is a great place to work. Supervisors are great for the most part, the manager is a very nice and fair person. I've been at BOI for 3 years now and a CPC for over 2 years. We have about a 40 percent washout rate. Boise is a great place to live...lots of big city things to do with the small town feel to it. Any questions? Just let me know.

Kevin

somms

Jun 18, 2008
SLC

I work there. Sorry for the delay in your response but I rarely check this board. I'll try to be better about that.

BOI is still a level 8 up/down facility. The tower is structurally finished but they are getting the wiring and internal workings taken care of now. The TRACON is still scheduled to move in March of 2011, but the IG of the Department of Transportation conducted a report on the financial implications of moving the TRACON to S56 (Salt Lake TRACON), and the findings (which haven't yet been published) show that it will cost tens of millions more to move to S56 than to keep it at BOI. One thing that we have going for us is that the new tower was built with room for a TRACON. This is something that other facilities (PBI, RNO) didn't get. We believe that the TRACON will stay in BOI but plans right now are for it to move.

BOI is a great place to work. Supervisors are great for the most part, the manager is a very nice and fair person. I've been at BOI for 3 years now and a CPC for over 2 years. We have about a 40 percent washout rate. Boise is a great place to live...lots of big city things to do with the small town feel to it. Any questions? Just let me know.

Kevin
FYI: I'm AF and getting paid OT to help support power panel work at SLC Tracon next week for additional STARS equip when BOI Tracon will be absorbed. FAA still seems to think the tracon will be moving to SLC!?

kmckyd

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2010

FYI: I'm AF and getting paid OT to help support power panel work at SLC Tracon next week for additional STARS equip when BOI Tracon will be absorbed. FAA still seems to think the tracon will be moving to SLC!?
Yeah, everything we hear is that they are still moving ahead full steam. One of the congressmen up here has friends in the DOT IG's office though and they did an investigation to see if it was feasible. The report isn't out yet but it's been leaked that it will cost an exorbitant amount of money...contrary to the millions the FAA said it would save. Everyone here seems to think that when the report comes out that they will have no choice but to leave it here. Especially since the new tower here was built with room for a TRACON. That's definitely something that the others (PBI, RNO, etc.) don't have.

Anyways, the sentiment here is that it's going to stay. Soak up that OT though!

bradjackman

Trusted Member
May 7, 2009
Boise
I'm headed to BOI in FY2012, supposedly. There were four of us selected on Oct2010 panels for Boise, and one went in March or so, and the other three of us are supposedly waiting for October to roll around and a new fiscal year to kick in.

Anyone have any additional insights on conditions, training, etc? I've talked to GS over email and he seems really nice and willing to help. REALLY glad I'm not going to a facility where controllers and management slash each other's tires and stuff. Visited in 2010, liked what I saw, happy to be going there. Any info would be great.

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
I'm headed to BOI in FY2012, supposedly. There were four of us selected on Oct2010 panels for Boise, and one went in March or so, and the other three of us are supposedly waiting for October to roll around and a new fiscal year to kick in.

Anyone have any additional insights on conditions, training, etc? I've talked to GS over email and he seems really nice and willing to help. REALLY glad I'm not going to a facility where controllers and management slash each other's tires and stuff. Visited in 2010, liked what I saw, happy to be going there. Any info would be great.
Hi I'm the guy who's spot you took in the October 2010 panel for Idaho lol jk. But I've met GS a few times and did my interview with him, he's a great guy and a great ATM. I've toured the facility a few times and everyone seems really friendly and a great place to work. I think you're really going to like it there. If you need any information about Boise or the surrounding area, let me know... Good luck getting your class date!

ohl_san

Newcomer
Aug 2, 2011
Boise
Just wondering for the 3 people waiting. What did your TOL say for location? Mine says Idaho and I am hoping for Boise.

bradjackman

Trusted Member
May 7, 2009
Boise
Just wondering for the 3 people waiting. What did your TOL say for location? Mine says Idaho and I am hoping for Boise.
I interviewed right around Christmas last year with JS, the DM over Boise. She told me that four were being picked up for Boise, and maybe one for Twin Falls. But that was for the October TOLs. She told us she wanted us all to go in together, but then one spot opened up for this FY and she sent one guy there in March or something. Never seen him on StuckMic. Then there's me, another guy I went to school with at MtSac who lives in the Salt Lake valley here, and a girl working at a contract tower in Sun Valley I think. She's on here occasionally. The three of us are supposed to be coming to OKC in "October or November," as far as we've been told. I don't know about hires after October 2010, though.

There are benefits to each facility though. People say it takes 2.5 years or so to check out at Boise. I think its like 8 months at Twin Falls. So if you're looking to transfer, Twin might be a better, and faster, option. Boise is a nice place to live, so it's not a bad thing spending several years there either.

If you are going to Boise, just promise not to jump ahead in line and take my spot at OKC!