Boston/new england area

DonStevo

Newcomer
Mar 29, 2009
Lafayette, Louisiana
I am in my geographical preferences stage of my application for ATC.

Can anyone give me any insight as to working in the Boston area. I am making my choices for geographical preferences, and just need to get a bit more information.

I am selecting Massachusetts and Texas. I visited the New England states a few months ago and loved it. My concern is just the cost of living. I have a two year old and a 4 week old, and the ole lady of course. I want a good family environment with things to do for my family, and obviously low crime and good schools is a must.

I admit I am quite intimidated by the home prices, heating prices, and SNOW! However I am willing to jump in. I rather try than to spend the rest of my life wondering.

I appreciate any input, thanks again.

Stephen

p.s. if i want boston center, im guessing massachusetts would not be the state to select for geographical prefrences??... odd

Last edited:

zoz02

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
KSGJ
The center and tracon and New Hampshire are in a perfect place. COL is normal, the Nashua-Manchester area provides for some decent rents say 1000-1300 for a 1br-2br. The area is nice, up and up and seemed to me to be a great place to raise a family. The center there is nice, toured it, everybody seemed great. Got a great training program and actually moving people through the pipe.

In any case your take of the area seemed appropriate, if you can deal with the weather I would chose it over TX, but that is all up to you.

aviator

Jun 18, 2008
NH
The center and tracon are both in New Hampshire. New Hampshire has a great school system and no state tax. We chose New Hampshire over Georgia for the school system. I agree, if you can tolerate the WX, New Hampshire is the place to be.

DonStevo

Newcomer
Mar 29, 2009
Lafayette, Louisiana
I am hearing that with my at-sat of 82, it can be quite competitive to get up to MA... I think I will consider North Carolina, and If I like the snow that much, I'll just request a transfer.....

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
The center and tracon and New Hampshire are in a perfect place. COL is normal, the Nashua-Manchester area provides for some decent rents say 1000-1300 for a 1br-2br. The area is nice, up and up and seemed to me to be a great place to raise a family. The center there is nice, toured it, everybody seemed great. Got a great training program and actually moving people through the pipe.

In any case your take of the area seemed appropriate, if you can deal with the weather I would chose it over TX, but that is all up to you.
I live in Manchester now, 1000 for a 2 bed room is kind of over priced.

zoz02

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
KSGJ
He wants a good family environment, im thinking the better side of 1000. BUT i didn't go to every apartment complex or rental house in the region. If he goes to Texas, likely he will be on the other side of that figure. 2cents 4 ya.