Boston Tracon & Manchester Tracon?

igeek

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a Manchester Tracon located in the same facility as Boston A90 Tracon?

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
Manchester used to be at the airport. The building they're in is nice, don't think it's more than 10 years old.

igeek

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008
Thanks! Do you know the identifier or is it the same as A90?

I'm trying to relocate to this area.

Last edited:

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
Thanks! Do you know the identifier or is it the same as A90?

I'm trying to relocate to this area and I've never filed an ERR..

Any suggestions on how to do this since I can't find any info on this approach control. I'm not sure who I need to contact.
It's all one facility. One big U of positions.

Can't help you with the ERR.

DanielEtvs

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
hank krakowskis
Its known as "B-C-T" or boston consolidated TRACON. it is state of the art highly expensive facility. Boston Consolidated TRACON - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the Manchester controllers do not work the Boston side and vice versa. If you come into the MHT side you will end up getting level 7 pay, if you get sent to the busier Boston part of the Tracon you will be paid as a level 11. PWM, BGR, BTV, K90, and Y90 were supposed to eventually also go there, ... but as is usually the case local politics and posturing have prevented that and drgged it out and it probably will never happen. So for now it is a huge incredibly nice building with lots of extra space with just MHT and BOS there. another good use of tax dollars. igeek where do you work now?

Last edited:

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
STARS is dead. There are other projects waiting in the wings to take the place of the STARS update. You may see an update here or there, but the main project is done.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Its known as "B-C-T" or boston consolidated TRACON. it is state of the art highly expensive facility. Boston Consolidated TRACON - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the Manchester controllers do not work the Boston side and vice versa. If you come into the MHT side you will end up getting level 7 pay, if you get sent to the busier Boston part of the Tracon you will be paid as a level 11. PWM, BGR, BTV, K90, and Y90 were supposed to eventually also go there, ... but as is usually the case local politics and posturing have prevented that and drgged it out and it probably will never happen. So for now it is a huge incredibly nice building with lots of extra space with just MHT and BOS there. another good use of tax dollars. igeek where do you work now?
Wow.... I am suprised this happened. Seems odd to "combine" facilities yet keep them segregated and offer different pay. That is too bad. I could see maybe a combination then settle the pay at 9 or something.

Did this happen to the other large TRACONs?

Anyway.

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
STARS is dead. There are other projects waiting in the wings to take the place of the STARS update. You may see an update here or there, but the main project is done.
Wasn't the reason that major facilities, ie: C90, N90, A80, still use ARTS-IIIE is due to the fact that STARS would "fail" after a certain number of targets were displayed?

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
Wow.... I am suprised this happened. Seems odd to "combine" facilities yet keep them segregated and offer different pay. That is too bad. I could see maybe a combination then settle the pay at 9 or something.

Did this happen to the other large TRACONs?

Anyway.

SCT and NCT all make lvl12 pay regardless of which "area" you end up at.

SCT is made up of 5 Tracons (LAX split into arrivals and departures), not sure about NCT.

im actually surprised that boston being a consolidated tracon isnt just one pay band.

Wasn't the reason that major facilities, ie: C90, N90, A80, still use ARTS-IIIE is due to the fact that STARS would "fail" after a certain number of targets were displayed?
and yes...

CAZ

Jun 18, 2008
Planet Earth
SCT and NCT all make lvl12 pay regardless of which "area" you end up at.

SCT is made up of 5 Tracons (LAX split into arrivals and departures), not sure about NCT.

im actually surprised that boston being a consolidated tracon isnt just one pay band.

and yes...
MHT Approach and BCT are all one pay band, MHT get paid level 11 believe it or not even though they work level 7 traffic. BCT folks are not happy about this, but it is what it is. They are trying to get MHT folks to cross train into other BCT positions, don't know how well that is working out.

DanielEtvs

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
hank krakowskis
MHT Approach and BCT are all one pay band, MHT get paid level 11 believe it or not even though they work level 7 traffic. BCT folks are not happy about this, but it is what it is. They are trying to get MHT folks to cross train into other BCT positions, don't know how well that is working out.

really, i heard that now all the new ppl coming in get level 7, the old guys who initially came over and consolidated get 11. the MHT couldnt get checked out on the BOS side they would have washed ....goes the story...sothey just decided to let them work MHT.

CAZ

Jun 18, 2008
Planet Earth
really, i heard that now all the new ppl coming in get level 7, the old guys who initially came over and consolidated get 11. the MHT couldnt get checked out on the BOS side they would have washed ....goes the story...sothey just decided to let them work MHT.
Yes, you are correct, I mispoke, the ones that initially came over got the 11 pay. The new hires if assigned to MHT get level 7 pay. And yes most MHT controllers that tried cross training had a hard time training and eventually went back to working MHT only, which I guess they figure why work harder for the same pay.

Kleetus

Jan 18, 2009
Someplace
I went on a tour back in December and was told they would not have any openings on the horizon except for transfers. I don't know though if the situation has changed.

I am also very interested in BCT so any information would be greatly appreciated.

igeek

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I work at PHF airport in Newport News, VA and have been certified for about 2yrs now.

Last edited: