Breaking: CTI Class Action Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Here is the news that we have uncovered thus far:

A letter was sent out to several, if not all, CTI schools on Monday describing a law firm's intention to file a class action lawsuit, preceded by an EEO complaint, against the FAA in response to the recent hiring changes. Behind the letter is Michael Pearson of Curry, Pearson & Wooten, PLC, a law firm located in Arizona. This firm has apparently partnered with Gallagher Kennedy out of Phoenix to pursue this litigation. Pearson is an associate professor in the aviation program at Arizona State University. You may recall the name because his rebuttal letter to the FAA was spread around StuckMic after the agency released its hiring program changes. Mr. Pearson had initially expressed that he would not pursue any litigation related to this matter, but he has since changed his mind.

Subject: CTI Graduates- class action complaint

Folks,

It has become apparent that you were intentionally stalled re: FAA hiring and employment opportunities. All CTI graduates nationwide, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity should have been given the opportunity to receive a TOL and have a chance at your dream. If you want further information go to CTIstudents.com <http://CTIstudents.com> or the CTI connection Facebook page. While I don’t agree with all written on the sites- it appears to do a good job of outlining what’s occurred over the last several years. I am personally beyond disgusted by the illegal behavior of the FAA regarding this issue. Initially I believed that my firm would not participate in any litigation. As the depth and breadth of the corruption became known to me- it changed my position.

Therefore, my firm has joined with Gallagher Kennedy and several of their talented lawyers who I’ve worked with in the past in order to protect your rights. We are going to file a class action (EEO complaint first for those of you had taken and passed the AT-SAT assessment- it is a required precursor to a formal lawsuit). You will be joining students from across the country that are asking to have their “chance” at their dream.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COST TO YOU TO PURSUE THIS.- AND IT MAY BE THE ONLY VIABLE OPPORTUNITY YOU MAY HAVE TO BECOME AN ATC.

Please contact me if you would like to participate AND provide your: date of graduation, if you took the AT-SAT and passed (if so when); phone number and mailing address. Time is of the essence as this will be filed within a few days. We perceive different classes- depending on the stage you were at (AT-SAT, interview, etc.) during the FAA ‘shutdown” of hiring.

This effort is a nationwide effort by several law firms and is not officially affiliated with ASU or any academic institution.

Warm Regards,
Michael W. Pearson
mpearson@azlaw.com

Let's keep this thread on the topic of the lawsuit. If you have complaints about the CTI program or whatever, take it to the other topics on that particular issue.

C

charliezuluatc

Good luck, your attorney will be in exploratory hearings for years. It might be 15 years and 1 million dollars before it goes to a judge. I know washouts that have spent 100k on pre trial. Almost 10 years later, nothing!

psykomagician

Jan 10, 2014
And what is the basis of the tort (the injury claimed)? There was no legally-binding contract between the schools and the FAA to hire their graduates; in fact the FAA explicitly said, consistently, there was no guarantee of employment in black and white in the agreements signed by the schools. So there is no basis for a suit there. There was no legally-binding contract between the individuals and the FAA; it is well established in law that any writings of the government on a website do not constitute any kind of a contract between the agency and any individual. You say FAA changed its policy, saying one thing at one time in this document and now something different in practice. But the agency has the unassailable right to change its policies at any time; its called agency discretion. This is a sucker's last gasp, grasping at straws, a mirage born of vain hope - and all it will do is put money into some shyster's pocket.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
StuSEL, do you have any text you could share from this letter? I'm actually in an Aviation Law class right now, and would love to dissect every last bit of this. I really don't see any basis for a lawsuit here, but lawyers can sure be creative.

Actually the timing for this is perfect now that I have a term paper due on proposed changes to FAA regulations.

Last edited:

CodyFoxtrot

Rookie
Nov 29, 2012
After I graduated school to become a mailman I couldn't get hired by the post office! They hired a ton of people with actual experience! It was so unfair! So I sued them!

titanman2789

Jan 15, 2014
It's like a lawsuit against the FAA because they're not hiring VRA air traffic controllers. I really don't see it going anywhere.
I completely agree...

A lawsuit against a federal agency for changing it's hiring process....this won't go anywhere.

Lucky for CTI students, they can still apply, unlike the general public for the last few years.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
StuSEL, do you have any text you could share from this letter? I'm actually in an Aviation Law class right now, and would love to dissect every last bit of this. I really don't see any basis for a lawsuit here, but lawyers can sure be creative.

Actually the timing for this is perfect now that I have a term paper due on proposed changes to FAA regulations.
I just posted what I've received in the original post. Regarding your last sentence, the hiring process unfortunately isn't a regulation. You can, however, dig up plenty of proposed rule changes in the federal register. The FAA makes regulatory changes almost weekly.

I think the trap in which the FAA will find itself is the communication some VPs gave to the CTI schools while behind the scenes, HR was doing something else. HR ultimately came out on top, but the FAA is one agency. The thing about lawsuits is that depositions and discoveries the lawyers may be able to conduct will reveal a whole lot more information than we could ever speculate about here. We'll have to see what comes of it.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
They'll probably claim some reverse discrimination crap. That's what that ctistudents site is all about.

Only good thing that could come of this is they'll blacklist all the idiots who sign up for this

C

charliezuluatc

Like I said before, this is a junk suit. The attorney taking this case must be desperate. You can no more sue the government because you did not get hired than you can sue God for the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.