Busiest Facility

ColtsATC

Aug 27, 2008
Balad AB, Iraq. 2nd busiest airport in the world now behind Heathrow. Lots of controllers never get fully checked out or make past anything besides assist.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
i thought ATL claims to be busier than Heathrow? i've never found an official count to include either military or foreign airports. i guess you could use wikipedia numbers, but you gotta take some wiki facts with a grain of salt.

atcbrownie

Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
Nellis is the largest and most active US AFB, from what I've read and heard.
stateside yes... but not busier or as complex as balad Iraq. I have seen at least 2 people from nellis not get checked out at balad and numerous from luke not get get fully checked out either. When I was at balad the cerap did over 90k ops per month.

A

Ammolite

stateside yes... but not busier or as complex as balad Iraq. I have seen at least 2 people from nellis not get checked out at balad and numerous from luke not get get fully checked out either. When I was at balad the cerap did over 90k ops per month.
I meant within the US. I can imagine Balad being an insane place to get checked out at.

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
Atlanta is the busiest airport, by far. ATL beat out Heathrow by 23 million passengers and Chicago by about 13 million. Check out the Airports Council International for the actual numbers. I have heard Balad is very busy though!

atcbrownie

Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
Atlanta is the busiest airport, by far. ATL beat out Heathrow by 23 million operations and Chicago by about 13 million. Check out the Airports Council International for the actual numbers. I am certain there are no military facilities that remotely come close to 90 million ops per year. I have heard Balad is very busy though!
That is passenger ops not aircraft ops. Of course a military base would not compete with passenger ops (I am not saying that balad is busier than ATL). An airplane with 200 pax and a C17 with 20 pax require the same amount of controlling.

The most difficult thing about balad is the mixture of civilian aircraft and military aircraft and the constant changing of the tactical airspace.

DM56

Jun 15, 2008
Kandahar, Afghanistan
By a recent email I received here in Kandahar with last years AF base traffic counts (contract towers here too), Balad tower did approximately 242,000 ops last year. CERAP would have different numbers. We here in Kandahar did approximately 101,000 but are on pace for about 150-165,000 this year (tower ops).

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
By a recent email I received here in Kandahar with last years AF base traffic counts (contract towers here too), Balad tower did approximately 242,000 ops last year. CERAP would have different numbers. We here in Kandahar did approximately 101,000 but are on pace for about 150-165,000 this year (tower ops).
that's not busiest in the nation (or world) type numbers. there's contract towers in the US that are busier than that. ATL and ORD did almost 1,000,000 ops last year.

ColtsATC

Aug 27, 2008
that's not busiest in the nation (or world) type numbers. there's contract towers in the US that are busier than that. ATL and ORD did almost 1,000,000 ops last year.
Dude, that's 2 ops a minute, every minute, 24/7/365. Not possible. You can't put airplanes that close together year round

Nodak

Mar 11, 2009
Valdosta, GA
Nellis is a cake facility... busy yes, but canned to all hell.
I've heard the same thing about Nellis, and also that their traffic count is so high cause they count 1 for every MOA they enter/exit/cross through, which realisticly is what you should do but no one does here cause they are lazy, but 1 a/c will rack up 10-15 ops just from different MOA work. Once again just what I've heard.

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
Dude, that's 2 ops a minute, every minute, 24/7/365. Not possible. You can't put airplanes that close together year round
Crazy, isn't it? Atlanta Center worked @ 3.4 million aircraft last year with roughly 300 million passengers flying through our airspace. That's everything in and out of Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, and everything over the top. ATL has 5 runways and runs either triple arrivals or triple departures all day. The two arrival sectors on the north side are the busiest ATC sectors in the world (roughly 9,000 - 12,000 ops per day each).

Dawson

Jan 13, 2009
Pueblo, CO
Balad is a center though. ATL and Heathrow are just single airport ops. If you compare almost any stateside center, balad doesnt compete.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Thats busy for a military facility, but far from the busiest. Hell Im at a random contract tower making shit pay and we did 20k more ops than that in a year. Hell, Phoenix/Mesa(Gateway) did 300k/ops. Also, like said... the top airports are closer to a million.

archie_league

Jun 17, 2008
Chicago
Not possible...can't put them that close together eh...as I've said before, grab a headset and come on over.

941,053 in 2006...with the fuel and economy we were down around 900,000 last year.

And unlike this Iraqi airport that is so much busier than the civilized world, this can be found on FAA.GOV.