Busiest Facility

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
If you know the rules and have a good head on your shoulders you have what it takes.
with all due respect, i don't think this is all it takes. it takes a lot more than just knowing the books and having a good head on your shoulders.

in my air force days there was one particular guy that knew the books and was very liked. the problem was whenever he plugged in he wasn't that good. after a couple extensions he was eventually washed out. proof positive that you need to be able to separate planes. the rules and being liked is nice, but not the only needed attributes.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Agreed Roddy... I've seen incredibly book smart people washout and I've seen lazyass drunks who never study sling planes with the best of them.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
i think he meant by saying good head on your shoulders : not sucking in position. If you are DECENT, and know all the books... you get by fine.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
i saw the traffic count numbers for air force towers about 6 months ago, this didnt have bases in iraq on it. topping the list was little rock, then randolph east/west, think they were 2 and 3, dont know which order though, then nellis. dont remember the exact numbers because it has been a while since i looked at it.

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
i saw the traffic count numbers for air force towers about 6 months ago, this didnt have bases in iraq on it. topping the list was little rock, then randolph east/west, think they were 2 and 3, dont know which order though, then nellis. dont remember the exact numbers because it has been a while since i looked at it.
isn't little rock a c130 base? How in the world does a c130 base top the AF numbers charts. Doesn't make sense, usually AETC bases are at the top due to the mass numbers of trainee pilots beating the pattern.

mtlatc

Epic Member
Oct 17, 2008
In a bus down by the river!
Air Force traffic count is a farce. I watched controllers count a touch and go twice if the student pilot bounced on the RY. Ohh...and a flight of 4 out Nellis on a Red Flag mission counting as 100 ops.......

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
isn't little rock a c130 base? How in the world does a c130 base top the AF numbers charts. Doesn't make sense, usually AETC bases are at the top due to the mass numbers of trainee pilots beating the pattern.

it is a 130 base. there's just a lot of them and they're always flying. little rock has AETC, AMC and ANG squadrons. the flying is prodominatly AETC though.
im sure the numbers from all bases are fudged a little bit. not as accurate as the faa's system.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
forgot to mention... this is how it was explained to me, places like columbus and shepherd, your bases with the 38s and 37s usually have 2+ runways. only one runway is worked by the tower, the others are worked by an unstructor pilot just giving WX and the occasional traffic call. all the tower does is clear them for their initial takeoff and final landning and they work all emergencies. i would imagine those towers would have some huge numbers, traffic count wise, if the tower worked everything.
anyone who has been to these bases correct me if im wrong. im only saying what ive heard.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
but when all bases count numbers like that, then its still an acurate rating as a whole. I did my part and didnt write 50% of my strips!

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
Facsfac Vacapes has the largest amount of airspace of all military facilities, but there's days when its slow as balls, seriously 2 aircraft an hour in each sector, all the way up to a fly off in all sectors, depending on where the ships are at and what the RKTX, MSLX, GUNX, and all the other "X's" not to mention all the notams and other special missions goin on at the same time. There's been 85 aircraft in my airspace, in/out/transit within 45 minutes. Not denoting any other facilities, but i'd say thats a good amount of work... fun too...

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
Nas Meridean has the highest traffic count from last year. 187k and change vfr tower ops all year long

VBeachR32

Nov 10, 2008
Facsfac Vacapes has the largest amount of airspace of all military facilities, but there's days when its slow as balls, seriously 2 aircraft an hour in each sector, all the way up to a fly off in all sectors, depending on where the ships are at and what the RKTX, MSLX, GUNX, and all the other "X's" not to mention all the notams and other special missions goin on at the same time. There's been 85 aircraft in my airspace, in/out/transit within 45 minutes. Not denoting any other facilities, but i'd say thats a good amount of work... fun too...
Giant Killer sux.