Busiest Facility

radicrog

Trusted Member
Feb 5, 2009
Vegas
stateside yes... but not busier or as complex as balad Iraq. I have seen at least 2 people from nellis not get checked out at balad and numerous from luke not get get fully checked out either. When I was at balad the cerap did over 90k ops per month.
I know this is an old post, but I bet you those people form nellis probably sucked to begin with.

MaSheaB35

Jan 21, 2011
My good freind was in the AF for 4 years at Minot AFB, ND. Minot is one of the slowest AFB's in the AF. But he was always a good controller with no mistakes to his account. He applied to the FAA, got the job, and is now fully checked out at ATL tower. Now he was never deployed or worked anywhere else but Minot, ND. But now he is checked out in one of the busiest towers in the world.

There are people that rise to the challenge of a harder facility, and people that wont be able to. It makes no difference where or what facility you came from.

ATC_MacGyver

MacGyver
Dec 19, 2008
with the bears.
ft. greely, ak. 10k ops a year.

more impressive that i didnt go insane in the year that i was up there. i think that counts for at least a million ops. and yes. there were people who failed to get checked out up there.

gotta love the army.

as far as busy. i've been busy once in my career. that was 2-3 years ago at nas jax. i was on local. and it was about 4 hours long. I've had whole shifts of being steady. i've had other normal stuff. but seriously busy, balls to the wall telling aircraft to acknowledge with a double click. only once.

MaSheaB35

Jan 21, 2011
Busy doesn't equal hard... There are some level 8 towers that are "harder" than level 12 towers. I'm just saying.
I agree, but the point im trying to make is that some people can step up to a challenge, and some people cant. It doesnt matter as much where you are from, it matters that you HAVE been rated and sustained ratings.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
ATL tower is busy but it's not complex. 5 parallel runways. 2/3 used for departure 2/3 used for arrivals. It would be safe to say it is very rare to have both happening on the same runway. They don't even have to do runway crossings some of the time because they have a high speed taxi way to goes down and around the end of the departure runway.

delrey

Newcomer
Feb 12, 2009
I worked as a scab at NY TRACON all by myself during the Reagan strike. I was active duty military at the time and had all the sectors to myself. I watched the FAA sups who hadn't touched a scope in over 10 years totally lose it. And that was in the the 80's when it was all fair game and 10X busier than anything you could imagine today. Nowadays, you all have your little safety nets, new regs and fancy computerized technology to do it for you. Back then, we did it FOR REAL!!! You would all run for the hills if you were dropped in that place back then.

VAboy13

Rookie
Apr 10, 2011
Gloucester VA
I think the biggest thing about Balad is there is nothing canned about it..and atleast back in 07 you had about 3 days if that to get rated..was no joke..a lot slower now though

KS1366

Oct 25, 2010
When I was in Balad it was kind of a joke, compared to what I had expected anyway. Working Ali on a TPN 19 was much more difficult than working Balad on Micro-EARTs. That being said, I can't imagine working Balad on a TPN-19 with the sectors combined, that seems like a HATR waiting to happen.

Stateside Columbus AFB took over highest traffic count two years ago. The fact is, Columbus, Sheppard, Nellis, and I imagine Laughlin are going to be busy. The other fact is they all pad their traffic count. Rumor was Nellis would count 108 operations for a flight of 4 that took off and filed for all 25 MOAs. At Columbus they some how got 8 operations out of a single T-6 going to their MOAs.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Training bases... they have a separate "controller" (usually a S.O.F. type) for their outside runway(s) who pad traffic numbers while p[lanes follow each other for touch and go's. They only talk to the tower during the initial departure and when they fullstop. lame

BennyPops

Trusted Contributor
Aug 18, 2010
TX
Hmmm, I worked at SPS and pretty sure we didn't pad sh*t. Those freakin wing recoveries I worked was no joke. Maybe they did bulk up the ops on the MOA side of the house but the T-38 side wasn't sugar coated what so ever.

Da Mavz

Last edited:

KS1366

Oct 25, 2010
@Polo - I was in the tower and Rapcon at one of those training bases. We did not pad the count in the tower - when we only had the center runway, we only counted center runway ops. When there was bad weather and we had the other two runways, then we would count those ops. We did not count the RSU ops when the RSU's were in place.

@Benny - CBM could get busy, however I found it never to be as busy as people built it up to be. We had the MOAs for all three airframes, so we had the ability to limit the damage when the SOF F*ed up and didn't make the call for weather recall soon enough. I do agree though, the T38/T1 side had the ability to get much busier than the T6 side.

atcchief

Newcomer
Feb 14, 2014
Well, obviously a few years late on this post but it caught my attention and was a interesting pissing contest. That being said I just spent the last 3 years being the Facility Chief or Chief Controller at Cairns ATCT, Cairns AAF. I can tell you that is the busiest airfield in the Army with 252,466 movements last year. Intersecting runways, multiple instrument approaches and a great deal of variety with airframes and airspeeds. Mostly helos but always a few planes(C560,G5/4,BE-20,Tex-2,Cessna,Learjets) mixed in just to keep it complicated.

It was not uncommon to bring in 120-150 acft an hour at peak times. Obviously that count did not hold steady as our main mission was being a base field with 3 satellite airfields within our Class "D" those being Lowe AHP, Knox AHP, Hanchey AHP. We would launch 60-90 vfr helos 2 times a day every day(M-F closed weekend and holidays) to go train at what we call a stagefield(small airports spread out with operational vfr towers for the pilots to do pattern work and emergency procedure training). Then they would all come back in about a 30 minute time frame. We would also launch 20-30 IFR acft that would fly around in approach controls airspace shooting constant approaches back to the field to practice missed approach procedures.

Additionally those satellite fields I mentioned had their own acft being launched to their respective stagefields, many of these acft would close out the day with Ifr approaches with vfr on the miss back into us and on to their respective field. It was rather common to land traffic to Rwy 18 to the numbers, shoot a guy up rwy 6 with a low approach/missed and land traffic to runway 36 short of runway 6. And those landing clearances would get high in number like "rwy 36 short of runway 6 # 4 cleared to land. May not match up to some of you guys experiences. Cairns does have some prior rated controllers in the FAA and they say we stack up very well. Anyway one last note my tower did 252,000, Hanchey 90K and Lowe 120K all within the Cairns Class "D" so all in all its pretty saturated piece of airspace.

OscarPapa

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2014
Well, obviously a few years late on this post but it caught my attention and was a interesting pissing contest. That being said I just spent the last 3 years being the Facility Chief or Chief Controller at Cairns ATCT, Cairns AAF. I can tell you that is the busiest airfield in the Army with 252,466 movements last year. Intersecting runways, multiple instrument approaches and a great deal of variety with airframes and airspeeds. Mostly helos but always a few planes(C560,G5/4,BE-20,Tex-2,Cessna,Learjets) mixed in just to keep it complicated.

It was not uncommon to bring in 120-150 acft an hour at peak times. Obviously that count did not hold steady as our main mission was being a base field with 3 satellite airfields within our Class "D" those being Lowe AHP, Knox AHP, Hanchey AHP. We would launch 60-90 vfr helos 2 times a day every day(M-F closed weekend and holidays) to go train at what we call a stagefield(small airports spread out with operational vfr towers for the pilots to do pattern work and emergency procedure training). Then they would all come back in about a 30 minute time frame. We would also launch 20-30 IFR acft that would fly around in approach controls airspace shooting constant approaches back to the field to practice missed approach procedures.

Additionally those satellite fields I mentioned had their own acft being launched to their respective stagefields, many of these acft would close out the day with Ifr approaches with vfr on the miss back into us and on to their respective field. It was rather common to land traffic to Rwy 18 to the numbers, shoot a guy up rwy 6 with a low approach/missed and land traffic to runway 36 short of runway 6. And those landing clearances would get high in number like "rwy 36 short of runway 6 # 4 cleared to land. May not match up to some of you guys experiences. Cairns does have some prior rated controllers in the FAA and they say we stack up very well. Anyway one last note my tower did 252,000, Hanchey 90K and Lowe 120K all within the Cairns Class "D" so all in all its pretty saturated piece of airspace.
yea... well ive worked 3 helo's and 2 c130's tonight.... crazy busy.... lol but that place sounds like some fun.... wish we could launch some numbers like that....