Calling All US Army ATC

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
If you ARE a 15Q, WERE a 15Q/93C/whatever, or plan on joining the Army for ATC, post here! I'd love to meet some fellow ditch diggers in this land of squids and chairforcers.

Where were ya? When? What were you rated in? Yada yada yada...

Chiqweetz

Dec 5, 2008
Texas
Ex 15Q here. I came across your profile on Myspace in an ATC group. I think we were in AIT around the same time. As far as ratings go...I hate the Army for this...but 61B and TTCS. Are you getting picked up VRA?

SoCal

Rookie
Nov 6, 2008
San Diego
I was a 93C! and then a 15Q (same thing just changed the job identifier). I was stationed at Mother Rucker for 3 years, Stinson Stagefield (VFR TWR), then off to South Korea for another 2 years, Desiderio Tower (Camp Humphreys). Had one TTCS B.S. rating at Rucker.

srand5002

Newcomer
Dec 3, 2008
florida
I was a 15Q in the Army and was stationed at Fort Rucker for a few years. I have been out of the Army since 2006. I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue in ATC, but after a year I missed it! Good Luck to all other 15Q's!!

deusneu

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2008
Currently a 15Q in the MN Nat'l Guard and currently stuck in Mosul, Iraq. Working the VFR tower here as the training sup and if I didn't hate the army before I sure do now. Maybe someone can explain to me why we have pilots as Commanders and why all pilots can't seem to grasp the ATC system. I give warning to all thinking about doing ATC in the military...GO AIR FORCE! Luckily I'll be home in June where I can go back to working with intelligent people while waiting on my class date.

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Ex 15Q here. I came across your profile on Myspace in an ATC group. I think we were in AIT around the same time. As far as ratings go...I hate the Army for this...but 61B and TTCS. Are you getting picked up VRA?
I was SUPPOSED to be a VRA hire at ZNY. But I got an offer OTS for Orlando TRACON. Its cheaper to live in Florida, plus its a whole hell of a lot closer to family, so I turned ZNY down. Funny thing... You can't convert an OTS offer to VRA if you're qualified for it. Feh. So much for a bonus! Bring on that 19k/year paycheck!

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Currently a 15Q in the MN Nat'l Guard and currently stuck in Mosul, Iraq. Working the VFR tower here as the training sup and if I didn't hate the army before I sure do now. Maybe someone can explain to me why we have pilots as Commanders and why all pilots can't seem to grasp the ATC system. I give warning to all thinking about doing ATC in the military...GO AIR FORCE! Luckily I'll be home in June where I can go back to working with intelligent people while waiting on my class date.
Its not all that bad... I had some pretty decent commanders in my day. Not GREAT ones, mind you, but decent. My CO in Korea was a bit of a doofas, but he had a great heart. He made sure we always had decent missions, and he even set us up for a few "air assault" style bar-b-ques. Meaning, we all loaded up on a flight of 60s, flew to the other side of the country, and ate burgers. Then we flew back. Good lunch, great pictures.

The Army is finally starting up a program where warrant officers will be platoon leaders. All former ATC, no pilots. I think that I agree with this idea if its done right. The last thing Army ATC needs is a bunch of POS E-7s getting a stick up their ass that some E-5 they pissed all over might soon outrank them, so they had better get to WOC with a quickness. (Yeah, I know of a few.)

jonrflowers

Newcomer
Oct 16, 2008
IRAQ
I'm a 93C.15Q/ My army facilities have been / Toth ATCT(Fort Rucker) / Henry Post (Ft. Sill) / Taji Tower (iraq) / Washington Heliport Tower (iraq) / Baghdad Radio / 7A/7C / TAIS / TTCS /I didnt have time to get rated in ATNAVICS or Henry Post :(

Merky

Newcomer
Dec 9, 2008
New Jersey
www.something.com
Sorry guys,
Quick Question, are you required to get rated in the army?
If you were in the National Guard do you need to get facility rated or they let you leave after training with the ATCS cert/pink slip after AIT. I know that the Air Guard recruits go through that and thats a long time away from my family. Its either this or 15P instead.

~Hail to the King, baby!:gleam:

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Sorry guys,
Quick Question, are you required to get rated in the army?
If you were in the National Guard do you need to get facility rated or they let you leave after training with the ATCS cert/pink slip after AIT. I know that the Air Guard recruits go through that and thats a long time away from my family. Its either this or 15P instead.

~Hail to the King, baby!:gleam:
First off, love the "Army of Darkness" reference. Gimme some sugar.

As far as your question... In the Army, when you graduate from AIT at Fort Rucker, they give you your "pink card," AKA the FAA Form 7220-1. You do not, however, have any ratings on the back of it. Obviously. You get it signed by your certified ATC rater once you finish your training program and pass your "over the shoulder." In the guard, there is no telling how long this might take. It depends on where you go. But to be a little more specific, you don't NEED to get rated in any particular time frame if you are assigned to a "tactical" ATC facility like the AN/TSW-7A, TTCS, or ATNAVICS. But you DO need to have STARTED some sort of training program in your unit.

I have gathered from other posts that airmen don't get ANY pink card at all until they are fully rated in a facility. Frankly speaking, I am not sure that this is legal. How would you be able to prove in an investigation that you completed a training program approved by the FAA? You know how you are SUPPOSED to have your pink card on you AT ALL TIMES when you're on a position...? Training or not.

Anywho... I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. Lemme know.

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
When you are getting rated, are you on active duty or is that part time?
That really depends on your unit. Some units might be willing to cut you orders to put you on a temporary full-time status, but you're not quite "active duty" per se. Some units will let you come in periodically for AFTPs, or what basically amounts to extra drill time. And other units will just let you progress through the training program however you might when coming in and working only during drill or annual training (two week) times.

Can you get ordered to active duty status if your unit deploys overseas? Yeah. But only then. Well, that or some natural disaster somewhere.

joshuatyndall

Newcomer
Jul 9, 2009
u.s.a.
Hows it going. I'm a 15Q currently in Iraq. I'm getting my initial CTO at an "International Airport." Dont really want to say where right now, but I'm loving every minute of it. We average about 600-800 movements daily. Just thought I'd say hello to all of my fellow Army controllers. This will be my first post here!