Calling All US Army ATC

Potter75

Newcomer
Jul 10, 2009
finished schoolhouse Dec 00, currently deployed with 10th CAB at Speicher. Facility chief Speicher ARAC, held ratings Goldberg Sf, Hunt sf, H208, Kandahar Int'l, Hub radio, Several Tactical ratings, was TACT (TTCS) couple years, Just went indefinite, 8yrs til retirement. When did you go through schoolhouse?

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Prior Army ATC here 15Q1P, got my CTO's at Kandahar and Al Taqqadum, TTCS rated also. Got out in 04. Graduated from the schoolhouse July 00

RollTide

Aug 12, 2009
Arizona
Re: Calling All US Army AtTC

I was in from 99 to 04 Went from 93C to 15Q...that 15Q helped me decide to get out...lol First station was Hawaii, went to Pathfinder school..deployed a few times. Got out of the Army at Ft Huachuca. Currently work as a DoD controller and am considering a Phoenix Tracon offer. As others have said with ATC the opportunities in the Army are very limited when compared to the other services, especially since the move to 15Q identifier. With that you get many controllers in the Army who are not afforded the same opportunities to get decent ratings. You should still be able to get out and picked up under a VRA announcement, but thats about it. I was very lucky to get to Ft Huachuca and grab a CTO before they got rid of all the soldiers at fixed base facilities.

Zimmermann

Newcomer
Jan 5, 2010
I am a 15Q currently stationed at Camp Humphreys Korea working the ATNAVICS (Tactical GCA). Was stationed at Mother Rucker for a couple years. I get my first CTO at Hunt Stagefield. So far I have had one ATC warrant as a platoon leader, he didn't really help much.

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009
I did like one army school. Military Freefall in Arizona. Now that was a kick ass school. Army Airborne in Benning, that was a dump. I did meet a lot of army guys that were pretty damn cool too.

3MileFinal

Newcomer
Jan 14, 2010
Houston, TX
Don't get stationed at Ft Hood if youre a 15Q. YOU WILL NOT DO YOUR JOB! I was rated on ATNAVICS, but I didnt get rated until I got to Iraq. Thats one of the many reasons I got out. The government feels it's necessary to give jobs that soldiers are trained to do to civilians.

jsATC

Rookie
Mar 6, 2009
I was also a 15Q for the Army but done with that for just about a year now. Waiting on my school date and was picked up CTO. I have a Hunter AAF GCA rating, Taji GCA, Liberty TWR CTO, and a whole list of useless Army equipment and training ratings. The Army did suck at times but if you have the qualifications to get the FAA job then you really can't rag on them that much. Plus instead of the college way you actually got paid to get the experience and schooling.

mjonavy

Rookie
Jul 23, 2009
Fort Worth
Question for all you Army guys... I am currently active duty Navy for 5 years I have a facility rating, and I am considering applying for the CWO 150A Program for Air Traffic and Air Space management. I cannot for the life of me actually find one of these guys and talk to them about it. If any of you have worked with one or know one or even are one could you please reply to this. I would really like to get some information about the program and what all that job entails. Thanks alot.

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I am a 15Q currently stationed at Camp Humphreys Korea working the ATNAVICS (Tactical GCA). Was stationed at Mother Rucker for a couple years. I get my first CTO at Hunt Stagefield. So far I have had one ATC warrant as a platoon leader, he didn't really help much.
Da HUMP!! They still have the AtNav set up as a "fixed base" site over there? They were talking about putting in a perm GCA/ARAC when I was there in 04-05. Nice to see they're still motivated about the idea... I was at Red Cloud, btw. Just "heard" things about Da Hump.

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Question for all you Army guys... I am currently active duty Navy for 5 years I have a facility rating, and I am considering applying for the CWO 150A Program for Air Traffic and Air Space management. I cannot for the life of me actually find one of these guys and talk to them about it. If any of you have worked with one or know one or even are one could you please reply to this. I would really like to get some information about the program and what all that job entails. Thanks alot.
The program has been in the works for quite a few years, and it was only just starting up for training purposes when I got out in mid-08. I had two PSGs (E-7 SFC) get picked up from my company for the program. I also saw a couple of them in my NastyGuard unit when I was in for a year. The gist I got about it is that they basically operate as platoon leaders. We don't have many "officers" in Army ATC. (Company/Battalion commanders are all generally pilots.) So the idea was to have leaders put in place with a background in ATC mechanics and regulations and such. I believe, if I am not mistaken, that they can still work traffic. But I'm not sure about that. I think that they are also supposed to function as facility or area ATC chiefs where previously we used senior NCOs. Perhaps also to help run airfields. But largely on the regulatory/airspace building side. Like I suggested, I THINK they can work traffic. But I wouldn't count on doing so.

EricEmpire

Jun 23, 2009
Chicago, IL
Army ATC from 2004 until January of this year.

Wiesbaden GCA in Europe for 18 months, rest of my career was rucker...Hub AIC/ Lowe AHP/ South Alabama Regional Airport. If it wasn't for SARA I wouldn't think I was all that experienced, but we had everything there, turbo prop, jet, and AWESOME army trainee pilots. They were awesome at helping me get conflictions to de-conflict, so I suppose that helped. I enjoyed my time in the army, but I didn't really deal with any tac crap besides atnavics in germany.

twrflower

Newcomer
Oct 23, 2009
Aberdeen, NC
Currently a 15Q at Desiderio Tower here in Camp Humphreys. this will be my 3rd CTO, my first 2 were at mother Rucker at Molinelli AGRC and Hooper SF. after this CTO I am gonna try to work my way into the GCA here. oh btw a Pilot as a commander of even a WO as a unit commander is better than a F*ckin 42A paperpusher 1SG and a transportation Officer who continually tries to screw over the controllers who are attached to their unit.

mtatc

Newcomer
Jun 18, 2008
I was thinking the same thing, 93J here, but I believe we are showing our age.
93J myself '83-'02, saw lots of change, not all for the good. At least 93H/J then C's were able to get some dual mission gigs, intead of getting stuck in the weeds without talking to a/c.

JMyers

Newcomer
Mar 29, 2010
I was a 93C from 1992 - 1996. Was in Korea for 2 years, Camp Page and Camp Humphreys, both places I did GCA. Then went to Fort Rucker and worked at Hub Radio. Anyone at either place, I would like to see some pics -

mytechjeff@gmail.com

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I was a 93C from 1992 - 1996. Was in Korea for 2 years, Camp Page and Camp Humphreys, both places I did GCA. Then went to Fort Rucker and worked at Hub Radio. Anyone at either place, I would like to see some pics -

mytechjeff@gmail.com
Hate to break the bad news to you, but I was assigned to the AN/TSW-7A team that helped decomission Page in early 2005. Its been gone (sadly) for a few years now. But if you like, I can email you a few pictues I took shortly before we left. Chuncheon sure was a beautiful city. It probably didn't change too much from when you were there, though.

gmanatc97

Rookie
May 3, 2010
Montgomery AL
I was Army ATC/93c from 97-02. at Rucker from 98-00 at Cairns, Korea 00-01 Camp Red Cloud TTCS, Henry Post TWR until I got out in 02. I worked NTC Ft. Irwin until 05 DOD contract, then opened Watkins TWR in East Denver for SERCO. Joined the FAA working at Daytona Beach in 07 still work here for now.

The Army helped me get started in ATC, I was lucky and got a couple of CTOs. The contract companies won't even talk to you without one. If going contract I would recommend SERCO, good company to work for.