Calling All US Army ATC

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I was Army ATC/93c from 97-02. at Rucker from 98-00 at Cairns, Korea 00-01 Camp Red Cloud TTCS, Henry Post TWR until I got out in 02. I worked NTC Ft. Irwin until 05 DOD contract, then opened Watkins TWR in East Denver for SERCO. Joined the FAA working at Daytona Beach in 07 still work here for now.

The Army helped me get started in ATC, I was lucky and got a couple of CTOs. The contract companies won't even talk to you without one. If going contract I would recommend SERCO, good company to work for.
DAB? Central Florida TRACON, mofo! You'd better straighten out those Echo Romeos before I bust a cap in dat azz... No V3 for you! (/end humorous geographical references)

gmanatc97

Rookie
May 3, 2010
Montgomery AL
Don't you know, those Echo Romeos run DAB. We do whatever the school wants us to. Your just lucky you don't get the other schools we have, they are much worse.

turbovela

Aug 17, 2009
So DutchFSU, I still remember you from Korea. Are you still in FL?
Is that who I think it is? but of course, always with his head up his @$$. hahahaha are you back in TX? give me a call or PM me here.

Laterzzz

scooteratc

Newcomer
Aug 21, 2010
Scott Smith...93C..1989-1994....Fulda AAF(89-92)...then Ft Riley(i mean NTC)...then out...Currently ATCS at ABI ATCT..via AEX(Louisiana) LFT(Louisiana)....Hello Army ATC

SM

atcchief

Newcomer
Feb 14, 2014
GMNATC97 I probably know you, I also joined in 97, currently still in though. Spent the last few years as the Cairns Tower chief, second time being rated there worked there in 06-07 aswell. Mike Hawthorne

amyminus

Newcomer
Feb 23, 2011
Warner Robins, GA
I know that unit. The one who contiually tried to screw over the controllers who were attached to it. I was facility chief there from around 2010-2012.
So for everyone else, I went through the school house 1994.
I've been rated at: Desiderio GCA, HANAU AAF, LUCAS stagefield, and Desiderio Tower. I don't count the TAC stuff.
I was facility chief in Hanau, GE around 98-00.
AIT Instructor 00-04
Lucas Facility Chief approx 07-09
Desiderio Tower Chief/ATC Chief 10-12.
Looking for people I know. I would think I might know you twrflwr

Last edited:

pvcwrd

Newcomer
Apr 3, 2014
I'm about to be an ex 15Q. CTO, 7A, TTCS, MOTS and ATCS ratings. Any word on how to land a job contracting?

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Put your application in with RVA, Midwest and Serco. The first two don't post their openings, but Serco does. Midwest is also the big overseas contractor (to answer your question on the other thread). They usually won't bother unless you're within 30 days of getting out.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Foggy, maybe you can help me. Why has the Army shifted from using soldiers to staff towers and ARAC's to contractors?

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
I think it prob lowers their cost. A deeper guess would be that the Army is trying to move toward being a strictly tactical ATC function. I sat in a briefing back in 06' where the CSM of the NCO academy said the Army was planning to move away from fixed base ATC. 15Q's would eventually transition to being 15P's but maintain the ability/training to do tactical ATC. There'd be more flight following stuff.

My own conspiracy theory is that the Army loses a lot of controllers to the FAA and DOD. Keeping them from getting a CTO by not having any facilities for them to get one would keep them from getting out. Just my own little theory.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
I was a 15Q in an Adam cell. Tried to get back to Rucker for a CTO at one of the stage fields, tried to deploy with an AOB too. Tried hard to figure out why the Army hasn't transitioned to training their soldiers for in theater operations. Most Army dudes I know got their facility rating in OEF or OIF. Were you able to work on an ARAC at all

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
I worked at Campbell for 12 1/2 years. Not one soldier came for ARAC training. There were several training or checked out in the tower and being used for manning until about 05-06 when the army pulled them out. After that they sent them to us one at a time from the tactical units for tower training and not very often. Back at the unit I think there were some harsh feelings toward the guys that were lucky enough to come to campbell tower for training. I don't know that for a fact but I detected some jealousy. We also trained a few on gca but those guys would get a pencil whipped rating and leave they were never used for staffing.

It's kinda scary really. They guys who are going to be making the big decisions about army atc procedures at the upper level will be guys who have never worked fixed base traffic. We started seeing some of this when we would get inspections. It was almost humorous to have some E7 roll in to the approach control and ask us the most basic of air traffic questions. Really? That's the question you want to ask? How bout you tell ME 3 primary methods of radar identification, without looking at your paper, and ask me a hard one. haha.

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
LOL, thats the Army I remember. When I got out I did 1 year in the guard because the Coast Guard base I worked at as an ATC contractor had a ARNG ATC unit based there. I was the only one rated in that tower because the unit wouldnt pay for any of the controllers to get their CTO. A whole unit full of controllers that havent ever earned a CTO and wouldnt be able to get a civilian controller job (unless they got picked up by the FAA) because they didnt, and wouldnt be able to get a CTO.

danielatc81

Newcomer
Oct 29, 2011
TN
The "Army" (a clueless PLT Leader would be my guess) setting up an ARAC down range - blind leading the blind since there is no true ARAC TDA/MTOE for TAC, therefore no legitimate/experienced guidance for procedural application. Not long ago I got an email from an ATC warrant I used to work with. He asked me where in the .65 the Army ARAC was governed so they could set up an ARAC (smh). No hope for the Army since they went all TAC in '05. I am fortunate that I work with a very diverse civilian group here at Campbell that actually taught ATC and not some cowboy BS (Okay, we still work for the Army so there is no eliminating "cowboy procedures", but you get the point).
Hopefully the Army will shift gears and allow for more permanent assignments within Garrison for these guys to get better training again. Contrary to popular belief, there are some challenging/rewarding Army duty stations. Too bad MOST Army guys don't get those assignments. For those that do, make the most of it.