Can Tower Apply Visual Separation Between Instrument Approaches?

Gallemore

Newcomer
Sep 18, 2013
If so, how can this be done if aircraft are on an instrument approach? Also, how can this be done if the aircraft never gets the runway in sight.

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
If aircraft doesn't get the runway in sight then the tower isn't going to be able to see the airplane and be able to provide visual obviously. If aircraft is doing practice IFR approaches in Visual conditions then yes tower can provide visual with arrival and departure. The tower wouldn't be providing visual on simultaneous approaches though, that would be the Center or TRACON, unless both aircraft were on a visual and the tower had both insight and could provide visual.

m57

Mar 22, 2014
If so, how can this be done if aircraft are on an instrument approach? Also, how can this be done if the aircraft never gets the runway in sight.
Absolutely it can be done. Just because an aircraft is doing an instrument approach doesn't mean the controller can't see the aircraft out the window. Furthermore tower can also provide visual sep between two consecutive visual approach arrivals as well.

Nowhere in the .65 does it require that the airport weather be VFR for the tower to provide visual. Now if the weather means the pilot can't see the runway there is a good chance the controller won't see at least one of the aircraft. That is up to the controller's judgement

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
In related news, centers can no longer have an acft report the preceding acft in sight and follow him in visually. This was commonplace at most places.
Said it was only legal if it was a towered apt. From my understanding the tower didn't even need them in site, just had to know that acft was visually following the other in.

No tower= have to hold 2nd acft until 1st one cancels even if they have each other in sight. Silly.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
In related news, centers can no longer have an acft report the preceding acft in sight and follow him in visually. This was commonplace at most places.
Said it was only legal if it was a towered apt. From my understanding the tower didn't even need them in site, just had to know that acft was visually following the other in.

No tower= have to hold 2nd acft until 1st one cancels even if they have each other in sight. Silly.
thats not new...at least on the approach end

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015

It's easy at a center. No tower? One in one out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
It's easy at a center. No tower? One in one out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It's easy when you only have a few people wanting to get into the airport. Concept is easy, but once you get a bunch of people holding right in the way of everyone because that one dbag doesn't cancel, it gets less easy.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
It's easy when you only have a few people wanting to get into the airport. Concept is easy, but once you get a bunch of people holding right in the way of everyone because that one dbag doesn't cancel, it gets less easy.
Welcome to the world of TRACON...

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
awww does the wittle center have to vector? =P

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Yep, tower can provide visual separation between two successive arrivals or any other combination of airplanes that are landing/departing.
Intersecting, converging, parallel, same runway.....ils, gps, vor, visual....if tower sees aircraft and wake turbulence isn't a factor then visual separation is able to be used.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
I have worked tower, approach, and center. And it still pisses me off when pilots don't cancel! Haha

And stinger, I was more referring to the pilot maintains visual sep, as in following another acft in, not tower provided.

And NE, I don't mind vectoring.....I'm just an angry person I guess!