Can you move to OKC before your class date?

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
I have a situation requiring me to move from where I am now. I do not have an OKC date yet, but am fully cleared medically. I was told to expect a class-date in or around April. Does anyone know the per-diem rules about how long you need to live there before they take Academy per-diem rates away from you?

I know someone from washington said 5-6 months is what they use as a GUIDE, but I need to know the RULE.

Would arrive in OKC Dec. 1st.
Anybody have any input?

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
It's my understanding that you only get per diem while in training. So if you move there early, you cover everything until class starts then you'd starting making per diem.

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
if you do so before you are hired you will have to become an OKC resident and my understanding is that if you are an OKC resident you will not recieve the full per diem while in training. Just something to look into.

AW

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
And I wouldn't move to Oklaholma City just because I'm "expected" to receive a class date figuring it may not come then and maybe a later date will be assigned.
:patriot:

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
how long until you are an OKC resident? My permanent address will not be OKC also..
I am not just moving there cuz im "expecting" a date, altho that is part of it. I need to move for other reasons.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
IF you move to OKC I would just not change your residence to the area on paper. AND be ready to provide some explaination for the lease you submit for the per diem check... or work something out with your landlord. I am in your boat.... I am not happy to be in Seattle when I am just waiting to leave! I am also about to get laid off from my nicely paid county job and dont look forward to life here on unemployment.

You will not get Per Diem if you change your location to OKC

BigBOSS

Gotta Keep 'em Seperated!
Aug 24, 2008
Austin, TX
If you are a resident within 40 or 50 miles of the academy you don't receive per diem or something along those lines.. not too sure but I remember them saying something like that on the first day of class.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
but how long do you have to be there to BECOME a resident?
If I move to TX right now, im not automatically a resident, ya know?

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
There is not typically a "waiting time" to establish residency in a new state. It's not like a college/university that requires you to live there for 1 year. In most states if you have a drivers license in their state and have lived there for 30 days, you can vote in their state elections.

If you do not intend to register your car in Oklahoma, get an Oklahoma drivers license, change your billing addresses to Oklahoma, etc, etc, etc., you will not be considered a resident.

I'm not sure of your personal situation but registering your vehicle and changing your license wouldn't be too intelligent if you do not intend to stay there. If you get pulled over and have an out of state license, you will only need to explain that you are a student.

1984warrior

Rookie
Jan 24, 2009
Minnesota
but how long do you have to be there to BECOME a resident?
If I move to TX right now, im not automatically a resident, ya know?
Look on the states website, particularly under the dmv (or whatever oklahoma may call it) section. A lot of states have "new resident" section that will explain that state's particular rules regarding when you must establish residency. I think most states are anywhere from 30-60 days from when you actually are living and working in that state.
Like previous poster said, you can usually live in a state without being an official resident if you are attending school.
I would go that route, unless your facility is also in OK because it is a HUGE pain to change everything over and can be quite costly. Plus depending on what you earn in the various states you reside in you may have to file multiple state income tax returns the following year.

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
a large part of it also has to do with intent. I spent a month in ireland a few years ago but I was never considered a resident. Hell, I've been in NH for 6 years now and I'm still technically a NY resident.