Canadian Callsigns

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
How do you guys pronounce Canadian registrations on the frequency? I've heard it a few different ways.

C-GXGC "Charlie Golf Xray Golf Charlie"

or

C-GXGC "Canadian Golf Xray Golf Charlie"

or

C-GXGC "Citation Golf Xray Golf Charlie"

What about abbreviated callsigns? Is Charlie/Canadian/Citation Xray Golf Charlie appropriate?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I always did it the first way, at least on initial contact, but if the pilot used an abbreviated call sign then I would abbreviate it the same way he did.

SouthBeachLivin

Sep 14, 2013
South Florida
"CG" is the same as "N"... Initial call I'd say "Charlie Golf Xray Golf Charlie"... then afterwards I'd usually say "Lear Xray Golf Charlie" or "Falcon Xray Golf Charlie"

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I just use the actual letters, it's somewhere in the .65 that you don't have to use the phonetic pronunciation for foreign registered aircraft. CGPOT becomes C G P O T instead of Charlie golf papa Oscar Tango.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
I just use the actual letters, it's somewhere in the .65 that you don't have to use the phonetic pronunciation for foreign registered aircraft. CGPOT becomes C G P O T instead of Charlie golf papa Oscar Tango.
Found it, thanks!

b. Foreign registry. State one of the following:
1. Civil. State the aircraft type or the manufacturer's name followed by the letters/numbers of the aircraft registration, or state the letters or digits of the aircraft registration or call sign.
EXAMPLE-
“Stationair F-L-R-B.”
“C-F-L-R-B.”

NOTE-
Letters may be spoken individually or phonetically.

Does anyone else say "Canadian" instead of "Charlie" or "C," or is that just the one facility I am familiar with?

choppy777

Mar 30, 2010
Haha, CGPOT came into the FBO I used to work at all time. Nice guys, eh?

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
Correct. I do it too and I'm one of very few.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I rarely do that. If the pilot was to call up saying the letters like that, I'd be doing it more often. But at least for me, they always call up with the phonetic letters.