Car at Academy?

laurenfoxtrot

Newcomer
Apr 17, 2015
Haven't been able to find much information about this on stuckmic... is it necessary to have a car at the academy? Curious what others think.

salvjr

Sep 10, 2015
I personally haven't been, but of all the people I know that have gone. They say having a car would have been nice so you don't have to depend on other people or shuttles to go places. I would like to hear some other opinions on this though. As of now I intend to take my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpharomeo9911

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I do plan to take my car as well, but in my opinion I don't plan on going anywhere except my books and study materials outside of the acadamey. I know a lot of these people like to go get wasted but we only have one shot. No sense in messing it up.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I didn't bring a car and although it wasn't needed I def wish I had brought mine. If I had to do it again I would def bring my vehicle with me.

PushTin211

Nov 26, 2013
Your distance to OKC will be a big factor. I'm in Houston, so only an 8 hour drive so I'll be driving there. But it'll stay parked while I'm there since they have shuttles from most of the housing to the academy.

zeyalu

Rookie
Jun 5, 2015
Does FAA reimburse per mile or do you have to save receipts for gas? I know I read somewhere that they will pay the cost of driving up to the amount of a plane ticket.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Your distance to OKC will be a big factor. I'm in Houston, so only an 8 hour drive so I'll be driving there. But it'll stay parked while I'm there since they have shuttles from most of the housing to the academy.
You can sleep a lot later and get home a lot earlier if you drive. Taking the shuttle sucked balls.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Does FAA reimburse per mile or do you have to save receipts for gas? I know I read somewhere that they will pay the cost of driving up to the amount of a plane ticket.
The FAA will pay you whichever is less. The cost of a plane ticket from where you live to Oklahoma (and back? Without knowing facility I am not sure where the return trip is calculated to) or the driving milage, which I believe is something like 56¢ per mile, no hotels included.

Here is a good thread to check out in regards to travel reimbursement: http://www.stuckmic.com/faa-academy-general-discussion/28214-reinburstment-driving-okc.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Isenthalpic

usaftmomike

Mar 10, 2014
Anchorage, AK
I drove and it was worth it, even driving all the way from Alaska.

Here is how I took it and why I drove.

1. You don't know where you are going to end up moving to, so bring some a lot of decent stuff with you that you want in the event you are put on the other side of the country from your home. That way, after passing the academy, you can drive to your new duty station and get an apartment, have a few things already and then fly home and get the rest when you can. Not too mention, driving there will help you out by having your car already there and with OKC basically in the middle of the country, it will be easy to get to any center in the CONUS with 1-2 days of a drive. i.e, lets say you are from Boston and get put in Denver Center...well, rather than having to fly all the way home and get stuff ready for the move and on top of that, you'd have to drive all the way from Boston to Denver; or, you could already have a few needed items because you drove there with them and then drive to Denver from OKC (1 day) and get setup with apartment and so forth. Afterwhich, you'd fly home from Denver and get stuff packed up and moved.

2. Just being able to get out and go places. 4 months for enroute and you will eventually want to go out and explore a little. Depending on when you are there, you might have a few holiday breaks and by breaks I mean 1 day off haha. However, you might want to head to the movies or something, just to relax and get your mind off things.

3. Grocery shopping was huge. Being able to go places when I wanted and where ever I wanted was perfect. Sure, could try to bum rides or spend money on taxis but it just isn't worth the hassle in my mind.

Isenthalpic

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2015
I'm taking my car to OKC, but when I travelled for work in the past, I would share a cab with other co-workers to go to the movies or the supermarket, so that is an option as well.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Take a car, even if you "loose" money for travel. OKC is a spread out town and none of the big academy housing providers are near the action unless, spening everynight at JoJo's is your idea of a good time. With that being said, I highly recomend The Red Dog saloon, they have phenominal burgers. Tell Sunshine and Hollywood I say hello.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Following Rams train of though, Cattlemans has amazing steak, S&B Burgers has some of the best burgers I've eaten (get the Smokin Okie) and Tapwerks has 82 beers on tap. If you like IPA's get a Coop Brewery F5. They only distribute in OK. If you're coming to the NY area bring me a case. You're not going to want to spend ALL your time at home and in the books. You have to give yourself a break and enjoy yourself too. I thought OKC was going to be some tiny hick city but it is a lot of fun. If you can I recommend hitting up Dallas for a weekend and go to a Cowboys game. It's only 3.5 hours away.

Nikki93

Rookie
Sep 11, 2015
Does anyone know what the weather will be like? I want to drive but not if I have to drive through lots of snow. My PTOL is for January.