career change from pilot to atc

confused

Newcomer
Jul 8, 2008
I am currently an airline pilot and am looking to change careers. ATC has always interested me and I am looking to pursue it.

I was wondering if anyone has information on working in southern california. SoCal approach or any tower in LA, OC, or SD. not really wanting to go out to LA Center. but anyways, if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

A

Adam

How's it going first off and welcome to the forum...The big question before you get your hopes up...have you had your 31st birthday yet? That is the cutoff age the FAA will hire new controllers, unless they were prior DOD or retired military, or former patco guys.

Also...let all your buddies know about stuckmic, this forum is for all aviation enthusiasts, not just controllers, so get the word out there!

confused

Newcomer
Jul 8, 2008
nope. will be 27 in oct. so I still have a few years to make the jump, but im really leaning towards the switch.

i have filled out my app online, just waiting them to reopen apps for trainees.

and thanks, glad i found this forum!

confused

Newcomer
Jul 8, 2008
well not sure how ill "let them" do anything. my preference would be to work in a tower... any socal guys have info on that?

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
There is a post here somewhere on stuckmic with all the FAA facilities contact info. Im sure if you decided to call the facilities they would be more than happy to answer any questions. That is if you dont get the right answer from stuckmic..

Redundant

Newcomer
Jun 20, 2008
New Mexico
I'm an OTS hire, and I went to a center. I really like it. Granted, we don't have any windows to look out to see all the pretty airplanes. I can't really describe the difference between a tower/tracon and center, but I can guarantee you that each has its pluses and minuses.

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
ATC

I'm an OTS hire, and I went to a center. I really like it. Granted, we don't have any windows to look out to see all the pretty airplanes. I can't really describe the difference between a tower/tracon and center, but I can guarantee you that each has its pluses and minuses.

How is it in ABQ? Is the city nice?

Redundant

Newcomer
Jun 20, 2008
New Mexico
Well, having grown up in ABQ, it's hard to say. I don't mind it all that much, although, most of the drivers are mentally handicapped and/or lost at any given time. The best way I've heard ABQ described is "a big little town."
May I ask what made ZHU so difficult?

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
Not sure, but the wash-out rate is so bad there rather not hire OTS but it isnt up to them. They believe that if CTI and military are struggling, then why hire... well u get it :)