Cautionary Wake advisories for Small behind Large Visual App

romajc

Rookie
Feb 5, 2009
West Palm Beach
As an arrival controller. If I clear a small to follow a large for a visual approach, must I also issue a cautionary wake turbulence advisory? And where is this in the 7110.65?

I only see it referenced in the Tower section.

Keeper4560

Rookie
Sep 10, 2011
Akron Ohio
Try looking under wake turbulence in the 7110 not too sure exactly where it is.

I'm pretty sure for a small behind a large arrival, you have to give a mandatory wake turbulence advisory.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
You must ensure wake turbulence separation down to the threshold...

3 miles separation on final increasing to 4 at the threshold, but no mandatory cautionary is required.

romajc

Rookie
Feb 5, 2009
West Palm Beach
That is what I thought as well, but I had the "tarp watcher" at my facility say I am supposed to give a cautionary wake turbulence to every small that follows a large.

I have never heard a controller give every C750 a cautionary wake turbulence to follow a GLF2.

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
2−1−20.WAKE TURBULENCE CAUTIONARY ADVISORIES a.Issue wake turbulence cautionary advisories and the position, altitude if known, and direction of flight of the heavy jet or B757 to: REFERENCE− AC 90−23, Aircraft Wake Turbulence, Pilot Responsibility, Para 12. 1.TERMINAL. VFR aircraft not being radar vectored but are behind heavy jets or B757s. 2.IFR aircraft that accept a visual approach or visual separation. REFERENCE− FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 7−4−1, Visual Approach. 3.TERMINAL. VFR arriving aircraft that have previously been radar vectored and the vectoring has been discontinued. b.Issue cautionary information to any aircraft if in your opinion, wake turbulence may have an adverse effect on it. When traffic is known to be a heavy aircraft, include the word heavy in the description. NOTE− Wake turbulence may be encountered by aircraft in flight as well as when operating on the airport movement area. Because wake turbulence is unpredictable, the controller is not responsible for anticipating its existence or effect. Although not mandatory during ground operations, controllers may use the words jet blast, propwash, or rotorwash, in lieu of wake turbulence, when issuing a caution advisory. REFERENCE− AC 90−23, Aircraft Wake Turbulence. P/CG Term− Aircraft Classes. P/CG Term− Wake Turbulence. PHRASEOLOGY− CAUTION WAKE TURBULENCE (traffic information). REFERENCE− FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 7−2−1, Visual Separation

So no unless in your opinion wake turb could be a factor.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
no. ONLY behind a 757 or heavy.

however, there is a stipulation that "in your opinion" a WT advisory is warranted then issue it. in the radar world, if something smaller is following something bigger than I issue it. is this stupid in certain situations? absolutely. although i do it anyway.

ie. S behind S+, S+ behind L, L behind 757/heavy, anything behind a super heavy.

anyway...only REQUIRED behind a 757/heavy.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
I know this is in chapter 3, but what is your guys interpretation on this..

3−10−3. SAME RUNWAY SEPARATION

b. Issue wake turbulence advisories, and the position, altitude if known, and the direction of flight of:

1. The heavy jet/B757 to aircraft landing behind

a departing/arriving heavy jet/B757 on the same or
parallel runways separated by less than 2,500 feet.

2.The large aircraft to a small aircraft landing behind a departing/arriving large aircraft on the same or parallel runways separated by less than 2,500 feet.

As a tower controller I have to issue a CWT according the above rule.