Chicago Center - ZAU

JMT

Rookie
Nov 9, 2008
zau
I'm going to LA for my PEPC in January for ZAU. Just wondering if anyone else was selected for that facility or already working there. (I have a few questions..) Thanks.

JMT

Rookie
Nov 9, 2008
zau
Re: ZAU (Chicago Center)???

Hey thanks pen. My main question was about the ojt. I heard that zau was like houston center and doing that progressive training with the time limits. I was wondering how that was working out with the lack of trainers as well as how fast things are moving towards getting people checked out. Thanks for the help.

dudaman05

Newcomer
Oct 7, 2008

I'm not exactly sure about how the training works once you're at ZAU, but I am a PUBNAT1 applicant, went to the Chicago PEPC and I am still waiting to get to OKC for training (I'm also ZAU bound). My HR rep told me to expect a class date between March and June. If you are heading to the LA PEPC in Jan, I'm guessing you'll be heading to OKC around the same time.

Underd0g

Rookie
Feb 17, 2009
Chicago
anbservers.com

I got my FOL 3 weeks ago. I will start training in OKC 3/4/09. Once done I will be heading out to ZAU. Anyone else selected there/currently there or heading there soon?

formula357

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2009

Im staying in the Highland Point Appts (corporate housing solutions). I was going to stay at the citadel, but went here for the gym. Im leaving Sunday, maybe Monday if I decide to drive strait through. I will catch up with ya when were down there.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Any board members actually at ZAU yet? Got a PEPC invite for ZAU, so I certainly hope to start working there in the future. Anybody have feedback on the place?

flygirl_79

Newcomer
May 27, 2009
FAA Enroute---Chicago (ZAU)

Does anyone have any advice fior newcommers to ZAU? Is this site as stressful as some have said?

queeno

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2009
Re: FAA Enroute---Chicago (ZAU)

i spent 20 years in that shit hole, my advice is buy a lot of lube.

fly747

Jun 18, 2008

Quenno, would you recommend moving out of Illinois to go to a better center, such as ZMP? Just wondering, cause I have heard nothing but bad from ZAU heh.

queeno

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2009

i dont think it will matter where you live will make you chances better getting somewhere else.

Freshie

Newcomer
Jul 10, 2009
Anybody have info on working conditions, current staffing levels, or any other nice to know information? Thanks!

ineedatc

Trusted Contributor
Dec 14, 2008
Chi-town
Anybody have info on working conditions, current staffing levels, or any other nice to know information? Thanks!
I had the chance to visit the facility.

Working conditions seem fine, but hard to tell because they stated to me that it was not busy yet (I visited at 9 am, it apparently does not get busy until 10am.)

Current staffing: There were two trainees in the area that I had the chance to sit in on. Everything was really laid back. There were people all over the place. What they all did/do..I have no idea.

I would suggest visiting the facility. I am thinking of going again in the next few weeks. Now that I have done a lot more of my own research, I can finally ask questions instead of being a lump on log. Everyone was so nice to me while I was there. Everyone is really bright and welcome questions.

To the person that says you have to have to invest in lube to work there. You made it 20 years...that says a lot. I listen to others opinions about a situation, but I can't define my view of it based on some elses experiences. Besides, I work for a company that allows lube as a part of its cafeteria plan. Moreover there is a six foot long threshold of the shit before you walk in the door. Trust me. if its bad it can get worse. According to jobvent.com. JD Power and Associates, FORBES, FORTUNE Magazine and yours truly, I currently work for one of the top 3 worse employers (with 500 or more employees) in the nation right now. :svengo:

As to learning the job; eh...I guess we will see.

ZAU news letter:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/artcc/chicago/information/media/NL.pdf

ZAU Welcome

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/artcc/chicago/information/media/WelcomeGuide.pdf

ZAU coverage area (now my avatar..lol)

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/artcc/chicago/information/media/ZAU-Area.jpg

mscutty77

Newcomer
Dec 15, 2008
South Holland,IL
I'm currently training at ZAU and so far I like the place. Everyone is friendly and very helpful. I never anything negative about ZAU while I was in OKC, unlike all of the 'horror' stories I heard about other centers! Some of my OKC classmates wish that they were at ZAU!

bag1953

Newcomer
Apr 26, 2009
I spent my entire career as a controller (for the FAA) at ZAU. The last few years before retiring were almost unbearable. I couldn't imagine being a controller for the FAA again, and no way in hell would I do it for a 30% pay cut. I've observed most trainees are overlooking little things that will drive them crazy a few years after making CPC. It's always rosy at the beginning.

SpinningHat

Mr. Hat
Jun 4, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
A friend of mine is CPC at ZAU.. He likes it there, but says one of the Sups in his area works them 2hrs on, 25-30 off most of the time.. Says many others work the breaks much better, but enjoys what he does, but wants to come back home to MN and work at ZMP.