Chicago Center - ZAU

Royaldane

Newcomer
Nov 23, 2009
Chicago
Any of you ZAU bound guys/ girls, whats the best way to be selected at the Chicago center? If not, could I possibly stay enroute, and xfer when there is an opening?

foxtrotlimaalpha6

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2010
USA
This post has been at the bottom for a while! Anyone out there working at or heading to ZAU?

Recently met with a facility manager at another center and he showed me the hiring numbers for all the artcc's for FY2012. ZAU was at the top for the year was trying to get some inside information to see how accurate this seems.

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
If that's true, which I HOPE it is, that is great news. However, why would a facility mgr already know FY12 hiring numbers, when our HR reps say it will be at least Aug before they come out? I sure hope there is some validity to it though. I have had a TOL for 2 years to ZAU.

foxtrotlimaalpha6

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2010
USA
First let me correct myself as I put incorrect information. It was the Training Manager at Jax Center whom I met with and when we sat down discussing hiring for the next year. He grabbed the paper for me showing me every center's projected hiring. It actually had exact numbers on it which I don't remember just the order of the first few: Chicago Center, Kansas City Center, Indianapolis Center.

mscutty77

Newcomer
Dec 15, 2008
South Holland,IL
Rumor has it that ZAU is supposed to be hiring 50 new controllers the next FY. Supposedly, none of them will be OTS. That's the latest we've been hearing on the floor at ZAU. I'll try and keep you guys posted on anything else I hear. Wish you the best!

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
I spoke with HR to see if they knew anything. Although they do not have numbers yet.. I was told they doubted that was true, because they could never meet the hiring quota of that magnitude with the people they have waiting right now, basically they would have to have multiple more selections to get enough VRA/CTI to fill the spots. I guess a lot of the people currently still waiting for ZAU are OTS, and they would have to re-direct them. HR did say that the facility did have the right/authority to request no more OTS, but doubted that they would at this time.....FWIW!

NovemberLima

Rookie
Jan 20, 2011
I spoke with the same training manager at ZJX, and also saw 63. However I keep in touch, and the numbers he receives are just projections, which are subect to change. The 63 did dwindle down to 40's last tme I checked. ZNY, However had a large 49 spots ; may be less now, but still with the top facilties in dire need for controllers for fy12... good luck!

airtikki

Newcomer
Mar 4, 2010
I just recieved my email for ZAU interview....anyone have any information on what the time frame or wait is for someone going to ZAU and being sent to OKC?

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
I've had a TOL for 2.5 years . They are supposed to take up to 48 this year.. If you are not in that group.. Hypothetically, you could end up waiting a long time like myself and others have had to do.. They seem to take a bunch at one time.. Then wait a couple years and take a bunch more.. We missed the cut last time they took a bunch and have held out waiting for several years now... check out the ZAU dates thread..

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I just recieved my email for ZAU interview....anyone have any information on what the time frame or wait is for someone going to ZAU and being sent to OKC?
If past performance is any indication plan on waiting 2-3 years. Hopefully things turn around for you guys, but I haven't seen any increase yet.

astats87

Oct 11, 2010
I'm right here
I had my interview at ZAU today. The guy I interviewed with said they plan on starting the people they hired this fiscal year... meaning at least by October 2012

astats87

Oct 11, 2010
I'm right here
I've had a TOL for 2.5 years . They are supposed to take up to 48 this year.. If you are not in that group.. Hypothetically, you could end up waiting a long time like myself and others have had to do.. They seem to take a bunch at one time.. Then wait a couple years and take a bunch more.. We missed the cut last time they took a bunch and have held out waiting for several years now... check out the ZAU dates thread..
When was the last group sent to okc? and how big was that group?

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
We got here on Feb 22nd. There are 11 in my class slated for ZAU. There are 6 in the class in front of ours.. And I know of at least a couple that are in basics right now.... So approx 20 here right now for ZAU

Charlie_Foxtrot

Trusted Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
We got here on Feb 22nd. There are 11 in my class slated for ZAU. There are 6 in the class in front of ours.. And I know of at least a couple that are in basics right now.... So approx 20 here right now for ZAU
so is it safe to say they get a bunch of zau people together for class dates every 3 or 4 months?

EDIT: astats87 doesn't know how to log out of my account before posting. I don't really care about ZAU, no offense. :)

Last edited: