Chicago Center - ZAU

STLATCER

Aug 13, 2009
Curious what staffing is like and how the facility is, gonna come take a tour later this year and did not know if any body had any details about the facility.

Thanks

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Curious what staffing is like and how the facility is, gonna come take a tour later this year and did not know if any body had any details about the facility.

Thanks
Staffing is pretty light in several areas, with more retirements to come. This has been the case for awhile now and it hasn't had any noticeable effect on hiring. We've had the same trainees for awhile now in my area. This is how stupid it has gotten...there are two ZAU guys in OKC now who were supposed to come to my area if they graduate, however the higher ups decided that we're so short in my area that we don't have the ability to train anyone so they are going to another area lol

So somehow we'll magically get more people by not training anyone because we don't have the resources to train them in the area

STLATCER

Aug 13, 2009
Staffing is pretty light in several areas, with more retirements to come. This has been the case for awhile now and it hasn't had any noticeable effect on hiring. We've had the same trainees for awhile now in my area. This is how stupid it has gotten...there are two ZAU guys in OKC now who were supposed to come to my area if they graduate, however the higher ups decided that we're so short in my area that we don't have the ability to train anyone so they are going to another area lol

So somehow we'll magically get more people by not training anyone because we don't have the resources to train them in the area

Thanks for the info, I'm a CPC at a Tracon, and hope to get their in the near future...

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Thanks for the info, I'm a CPC at a Tracon, and hope to get their in the near future...
Unfortunately there is a freeze on everything at the center, including ERRs. But once that comes to an end they'd probably be happy to pick you up.

Ryan86

Apr 6, 2012

I'm just curious, do some areas handle more traffic than others per year? Does the center try to keep those fully staffed first or do they assign people evenly?

dub11

Rookie
Sep 11, 2012
I have a TOL for ZAU and am curious about the wash-out rate, staffing, cost of living in area etc.??

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I have a TOL for ZAU and am curious about the wash-out rate, staffing, cost of living in area etc.??
They barely wash anyone out. Staffing is so poor we can't afford to lose anyone. Cost of living is pretty good. The Illinois housing market took a HUGE hit when everything crashed. We just bought a nice ass house for about 57% of the cost when it was new in 2004. :lol:

Some of the surrounding areas are still very expensive, but there's plenty of reasonable housing to be had at a good price at this time. Rent is fairly high though. Even a two bedroom apartment anywhere in the area is going to run close to $1k unless it's in the ghetto, and there's plenty of ghetto around.

mgcb

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2011
Delaware
yeah here in warrenton i live in a ghetto blaster 1 bedroom the size of a closet and thats 1 grand. nice

dub11

Rookie
Sep 11, 2012
just wondering where you guys found this info? so we basically are on the backend of the list?

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
just wondering where you guys found this info? so we basically are on the backend of the list?
I work there and those are the numbers the FAA gave our local NATCA leadership as the amount of people they can expect to be starting this year.

Ryan86

Apr 6, 2012
Dub11, basically the only way we will go this FY is A) they up the number of new hires. B) people ahead of us get redirects, creating spots for us. C) clearances were not renewed or D) people turn the offer down.

So really what we need is luck to get an offer this year....very discouraging

dub11

Rookie
Sep 11, 2012
I made a few calls to some controllers over there to ask what they have heard...ill keep you updated