Chicago Center - ZAU

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
How are the staffing levels there? Just trying to get a feel for what they are doing.... I thought they would be sending quite a few through for each center but maybe not.
Staffing in some areas is very low. A few close to what would be considered critical. Unfortunately they use the building numbers to justify staffing needs. So even though my area is about 15 short of what we're supposed to have, they can't get any more hires because the building as a whole is 'overstaffed'.

sherv64

Newcomer
Jul 3, 2009
Ft Laudy
Anyone a ZAU know where the SSR antenna is located? I have a friend who works for Honeywell and they are trying to find a fix or lat long close to over fly and test a TCAS module. Thanks

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009
Anyone a ZAU know where the SSR antenna is located? I have a friend who works for Honeywell and they are trying to find a fix or lat long close to over fly and test a TCAS module. Thanks

Sorry, shouldn't they get this from the facility instead of and internet forum like stuckmic? Sometimes these questions baffle me. I wouldn't go on a pilot internet forum and ask what the approach mins are to Airport X and then blindly trust it. For something like that I would go open the pubs.

I'm sure a much more reliable source would be to call the facility itself...

Ztroller

Newcomer
Jul 2, 2012
Alaska
Do you pronounce your “friends” name with more than an ounce of phlegm???

CPC2008

Newcomer
Feb 9, 2014
Any ZAU CPC's out there who can answer a few questions from a CPC looking to ERR from another Center?

sherv64

Newcomer
Jul 3, 2009
Ft Laudy
I was just trying to help some on out with a quick answer instead of going thru the typical govt BS and ask 20 people with no answer game.
Guess u haven't been in the FAA long enough to figure that out.

eagetal96

Feb 9, 2009
Where do most of the newcomers stay, is there a preferred apartment that's tried and true or is it just a shot in the dark. That place across the street looks like it would be cheap, and a short commute.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Oh it's cheap, you may also get shot too. The few apartment buildings around the center are not nice at all. There's some decent complexes throughout Aurora but rentals are very pricy out here. 2 bedroom will be at least $1,200. The nice ones closer to $1,500. I found a 3 bed 3 bath duplex to rent from someone at the center. Not even $1,200/month and way nicer than any apartment. Full fenced in yard and garage too which you definitely don't get in an apartment

eagetal96

Feb 9, 2009
That is a really good deal. Everything I've looked at is really spendy. We stopped by on Monday and I picked up some study material and we also looked around at the towns. I liked Oswego and sandwhich. My wife liked the Naperville area....LOL.

Dwarf

Newcomer
Oct 23, 2008
Used to live at City View at the Highlands Apartments in Lombard, IL 60148 in Lombard, about 20 to 25 minutes to ZAU just off I-88. Website shows pricey, but they do a ton of discounts. I believe I was paying about 1200 a month. Really nice apartment for young professionals. Gym, outdoor pool, etc. Across from a nice mall and some decent chain restaurants. Lived there for two years and really liked it.

devoixmr

Oct 28, 2011
Can anyone shed some light on FY 15 hiring at ZAU? I am a 2014 OTS Applicant from neighboring suburbs around Aurora,slated for April-June to start the academy. I know that I have no say where I am going, and I am aware I need to graduate the academy first. Thanks in advance.

devoixmr

Oct 28, 2011
bump
Can anyone shed some light on FY 15 hiring at ZAU? I am a 2014 OTS Applicant from neighboring suburbs around Aurora,slated for April-June to start the academy. I know that I have no say where I am going, and I am aware I need to graduate the academy first. Thanks in advance.

eagetal96

Feb 9, 2009
I am looking to see if anyone currently at Zau or going in the near future is seeking a roommate. Send me a message, I will be there Nov 3.