Chicago TRACON - C90

meatasaurusx

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2008
Chi-town
I just got my tol at the chicago pepc for this location. just wanted to see if anyone works here and what it is like. i hope these next 4-6 weeks goes by fast!

JetJammer

Newcomer
Jun 14, 2008
Don't even bother going!!

If I were you I would not even bother showing up at C90. You have virtually no chance of checking out there off the street, out of the CTI program or coming out of the military. You will be wasting everyone's time and your money by moving up there. You may get reply's that say with a good attitude and work ethic you can make it, but that is simply not true. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
Damn JetJammer, I have a close friend there that said the same thing. He has been there for 2 years and have seen a bunch of trainees leave for various reasons. Meat, even if there is a 1% chance of making it go for it because you never know. Besides you have a better chance being sent to another facility instead of waiting for another offer which will be way longer than usual. Every year the hiring process will get somewhat longer due to students being in training. Miami Center is already backed up along with a couple others. Since April there have not been any referrel lists come out. I say get in where you fit in and figure out the rest later. peace dizzle

SRQ

Jul 25, 2008
Sarasota/Indianapolis
Looks like you may already live in Chicago meatasaurusx. If you don't try it, you will always wonder if you could have done it. Who knows, you might be the 1 in 25 who makes it.

archie_league

Jun 17, 2008
Chicago
I just got my tol at the chicago pepc for this location. just wanted to see if anyone works here and what it is like. i hope these next 4-6 weeks goes by fast!
I don't work there but being that they feed us and vice versa I do know a few people there. Give it a shot and see what happens. I will say that the odds are not in your favor. Good Luck and Congrats!

meatasaurusx

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2008
Chi-town
well, i will definately work my ass of to make sure that i won't be one of the ones who doesn't make it. i already live in the chicago area, so i'm not moving to a new location. i do appreciate everyones honesty in this though. i think it is much better going to a facility and knowing what you are up against instead of having a false sense of security. it also gives me that much more motivation to be successful. thanks for the help everyone.

A

Adam

check out the blogs, right beside the usercp at the top of the page and start blogging about your experience at chicago TRACON.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Re: Don't even bother going!!

If I were you I would not even bother showing up at C90. You have virtually no chance of checking out there off the street, out of the CTI program or coming out of the military. You will be wasting everyone's time and your money by moving up there. You may get reply's that say with a good attitude and work ethic you can make it, but that is simply not true. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
jesus! lol, talk about getting dreams CRUSHED! Question, say you got c90, washed out.... whats next in life for you? South Bend Indiana approach or a new career??

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008

jesus! lol, talk about getting dreams CRUSHED! Question, say you got c90, washed out.... whats next in life for you? South Bend Indiana approach or a new career??
The vast majority of the time, you have to find another career...

archie_league

Jun 17, 2008
Chicago

The last time I talked to someone there they had just washed a bunch of people and gave them all a chance elsewhere. Everyone that washes from ORD has been given the option to go somewhere slower.

Sep 19, 2008
Dover, Delaware
Yo, I got C90 also. So you're not in it alone man. I'm prior military but I've never worked radar before so it's going to be completely new for me as well. And to everyone out there who says it's impossible...like the commercial says...impossible is nothing. haha. Peace F-ers!

Butters Stotch

Newcomer
Mar 19, 2009
In general all the super busy TRACONs are washing people out right and left. Fortunately you generally get a chance to ERR somewhere else, and then you can somewhat get your choice of where to go instead of your initial take this one place or leave it. Getting your foot in the door is the big thing. Then go to your facility, so your best, and know that even though your chances suck of making it at a level 12 TRACON, you'll still have the ability to go somewhere slower, get checked out, and then work your way back up if you so desire.

DutchFSU

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Yo, I got C90 also. So you're not in it alone man. I'm prior military but I've never worked radar before so it's going to be completely new for me as well. And to everyone out there who says it's impossible...like the commercial says...impossible is nothing. haha. Peace F-ers!
Hey, I know a guy named Bobby! He was a huge dork, though. I met him at the academy. I think he was going somewhere near Chicago, but I'm not sure. All I know is that he likes to FREAK OUT about his training program... I wonder where he got the bad idea from?

Dork. Go Army ATC! WOOT!

ATCinWI

Feb 17, 2009
Illinois
How's the morale here? Lot of potential retirees getting ready to head out? How is it working with Raytheon in the classroom and ETG labs? How are the developmentals and CPC-ITs treated? Is one "class" of people lower than another? Are new people ignored? Ridiculed? How hard is it for someone to stay under the radar?

ATCinWI

Feb 17, 2009
Illinois
bump . . . anyone? I just got picked up on a paid move to C90 and would appreciate any information on the place before I show up in October.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Real deal on C90: (edited for some content like names and personal messages)
So the CTI's here don't do that well, but honestly it is hit or miss even with people from other busy facilities. Anyway, there is a CTI that will be the first CTI to check out in the history of C90. He is an exception and he does really well for a CTI. There is one other CTI doing decent but he still has to make it through arrival. So many people have washed out I can't even count...most of them believe it or not are VRA's and people from other FAA facilities. We've had people from Midway tower, Phoenix tracon, Milwaukee...etc with years of experience wash out. Some people never make it out on the the floor--they'll wash out in the first week of academics or the lab. THe labs are no joke either. But others have washed out on their first position on the floor. No one has ever made it through training here off the street. It's really not fair to them. You will see. So the pay is great tho fo sho. Esp. holiday and overtime. The best advice I can give you is to keep it professional. Not uptight, but professional. Play the "trainee game." Know your place and take it serious. Don't trust anyone, even if they seem cool. Not even after you've been there a while. I've seen people get thrown under the bus so to speak and they had no idea it was coming. Don't say anything stupid or they will make fun of you forever. Literally. Hope and pray that the nickname you get isn't too unbearable. lol If you can get any info before you get to your facility, like a disc or something you should study the basics and have them down before you get there. Callsigns at least. But I don't know how your facility will be b/c every facility is really different. Like (a mutual friend) she got a month to learn all the academics. (I) got about a week, pass or fail balls to the wall! And then plug into position in the lab and just do it. It's crazy for real.

HerLK

Newcomer
Mar 23, 2010
I'm very interested in this facility as I am from Illinois. I'm leaving the military in a year and just want to see if anyone had anymore insight on this facility. I need a positive outlook :)

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Hey, I know a guy named Bobby! He was a huge dork, though. I met him at the academy. I think he was going somewhere near Chicago, but I'm not sure. All I know is that he likes to FREAK OUT about his training program... I wonder where he got the bad idea from?

Dork. Go Army ATC! WOOT!
sidenote: he got washed out

CtoA

Newcomer
Feb 13, 2011
i am happy to say that an off the street can certify at C90 and now has. Keep your head up. You can do it. I know I did.