Chicago TRACON - C90

RADAR88

Rookie
Sep 27, 2010
www.facebook.com
How apt are they to grab someone from an ERR? Coming from a low level tower (5), despite having radar experience, is mine likely to get tossed? Or are they hurting bad enough that they're looking to take whoever can make the move?

markz

Rookie
May 24, 2014
The release dates don't seem too extravagant. I'm curious: why the question on a cross thread post?

Last edited:

mknatr1386

Rookie
Dec 2, 2009
Hey, level 10 ARTCC here and looking to get into C90. I understand there is a pre-assessment and things to do to get there. But, I'm curious how tough it actually is for Center controllers to make the transition. Any info on success rates of someone like me and any other info would be appreciated.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I don't know about C90, but here at N90 center controllers have a history of struggling. It's just so different than center that many have trouble adjusting. In fact in my class of 4, the only person who washed was a transfer from ZAU. Didn't make it out of the lab.

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
IMO, biggest thing... you go from searching for the problem to everyone is a problem. Center is more strategery where TRACON is more tactical. Constant, precise timing is critical for vectoring to final and keeping exacting gaps to fill, whereas in the center you have time to pre-plan, investigate options, complain to the supe how TMU is screwing you, double-check your work, and give lots of thought to decision-making (I know, broad strokes... Not universal, there are certainly time-sensitive, tactical situations in the center too).

Also, C90 in particular... there are no IFR overflights allowed. If/when you get there, you'll quickly see why. Just too many chances for those aircraft to muck up the existing congestion.

Last edited:

mknatr1386

Rookie
Dec 2, 2009
I don't know about C90, but here at N90 center controllers have a history of struggling. It's just so different than center that many have trouble adjusting. In fact in my class of 4, the only person who washed was a transfer from ZAU. Didn't make it out of the lab.
Thanks for the reply. Curious what were your classmates prior experience.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
We all had prior radar experience in the military, and the ZAU person had 10 years or so at ZAU and prior radar in the AF before that. Wasn't saying this to try and discourage you. I think if you want to do it then you should do it. Worse that happens is you wash and go back to your center.

Last edited: