Clearance to Ground to Tower for flight following

breadwild

Newcomer
Feb 16, 2013
Wheaton IL
www.highgatecross.com
Let's say I'm at a Class C airport and I call clearance delivery for VFR flight following (of course it's VFR :eek: ) they usually respond with a departure freq, squawk code, and instructions. When ready to taxi, I call ground as usual, then later the tower.

My question: should I repeat my request for flight following at any other point than that initial call to clearance delivery? In other words, does that initial call get me into the system until terminated (assuming they grant my original request)?

Thanks.

{B}

Hairball

Newcomer
Nov 20, 2010
There's no need to repeat your request. Once you're in the system, a strip is either computer-generated or hand-written, and it is passed from clearance, to ground, to local, and onto departure (and points beyond, if the controller puts you into the NAS). There should be no surprises from the other controllers; everything you've requested is (should) be on the flight progress strip.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
It doesn't really matter. If the departure controller tries to terminate you, at that point you'd bring up again that you want to continue flight following.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
B,

The only thing that I can add is if you want VFR flight following to your destination, then you should state that. More often than not most pilots just want flight following out of the Class "C".

So when you call clearance delivery for VFR flight following, just state, "request VFR flight following to my destination (airport), at (altitiude). The controller should input your request into the NAS which will allow the approach controller to hand you off to the next facility.

dshortone

May 4, 2009
USA
MikeATC brings up a very good point. At our airport, there are three basic non-turbine departures. At the very least we always need a destination.

If you get anything but a 1200 code, for the most part, you should be good to go.

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
Kinda. If they assigned you a locally based code, that indicates they're probably planning on terminating you once you exit the charlie outer area.

I don't know how pilots would be able to know which is which, so just be specific in your request.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Question on the locally-assigned codes: Is there ever a situation where a target squawking a local code could be handed off to another facility without having to change the target to a NAS code, or is that absolutely never going to happen? Is it dependent on the radar systems installed at each facility, for example CARTS vs. STARS vs. HOST?

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
That can happen, yes, and it is based on what radar system is used. STARs has the ability to hand off to other STARs facilities without having flight data in the NAS. Only the callsign is transferred to the receiving facility's data tag, so type aircraft and scratchpad/destination would need to be coordinated verbally, but it can be done. It's only marginally useful at my facility, we mostly do it with locally based military aircraft that have permanent local beacon codes. Everyone else just gets put into the NAS.

Jan 23, 2009
Iowa
One other quick point to add... At some towers, even if you specifically ask for flight following to your destination; if your requested altitude is not at least 3,000 (yes, I know VFR is 035, 045, etc...) some controllers (not all, mind you, but some) will still only assign you a local code instead of putting you into the NAS and will still attempt to terminate you at 20 miles out. This is because if you are going from point A to point B and only going at 2,000 or 2,500, you're likely to fall below the floor of radar/radio coverage.

So, either be proactive and request a higher altitude (weather permitting), or just know that you MAY be terminated when you leave the class C outer area. Just a friendly heads-up to all the pilots from a fellow controller. :)

TerminallyIll

Rookie
Mar 1, 2013
Slightly off topic, but a question for you radar guys. Lets assume all or most of the FCT's go dark, you all get furloughed and workload increases because of this mess. Will flight following be denied with greater frequency? I've been a pilot for 20 years and cannot recall a single time i have been denied FF. Nor can i remember hearing of denials to other VFR folks. I know many pilots rely heavily on on this service, but perhaps soon work. load won't permit

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
It's possible but hard to say. As it stands, our facility has negotiated the furlough process well enough that we should still be able to split sectors when necessary. As long as facilities don't have to keep busy sectors combined due to staffing, pilots shouldn't see much change. If a facility does have to keep things more combined to comply with the furlough, then you might see additional services denied due to workload.

Sorry for the non-answer. I don't think any of us will know exactly how the furloughs will affect service until we actually start taking days off.