Cleveland Center - ZOB

rewgupko

Sep 11, 2008
America
If anyone is familiar with ZOB, what are the facilities like? Is there a nice break room, gym/workout room, etc.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
I've been to Cleveland Center numerous times. I can't tell you much about the "inner workings" of the facility though, just cause I didn't really notice or remember it. I went past the break room/cafeteria once, and.....it looked like a cafeteria. haha

The building itself is very old though, as are most ARTCC's.

rewgupko

Sep 11, 2008
America
Honestly I don't know how that got changed to Oakland Center because I definately wrote Cleveland Center. Weird.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Honestly I don't know how that got changed to Oakland Center because I definately wrote Cleveland Center. Weird.
Got it fixed. One of the mods, possibly me, was watching Parks and Rec while moving the thread and wasn't paying close enough attention.

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
Parents work there and i've been there a million times the work out room is down in the basement pretty nice, the building is old yes , but they have all new equipment in the control room which is amazing! During break there's a few things you can do depending on if your a guy a girl....girls either go smoke or go hang out in the bathroom and knit. the guys play world of war craft on their computers or go smoke. Of course there are other things to do like go workout but that's what i've mostly seen... but great place to work!!

zobwannabe

Newcomer
May 4, 2009
Ohio
there is a workout room at cleveland center? sweet! I'm coming from a place that yelled at me if i went to the gym off hours so that is so awesome!

MZ2009

May 30, 2009
anyone have any more info on ZOB like standard work week, washout rate, staffing, training time, morale/work environment etc...etc... thanks in advance!!

ouflyboy9

Rookie
Jun 25, 2009
anyone have any more info on ZOB like standard work week, washout rate, staffing, training time, morale/work environment etc...etc... thanks in advance!!
I toured this facility about a month ago - I asked about the standard week - and it sounds like you bid for your days off once a year. the trainees only bid against each other. I also asked about the washout rate, they said it was pretty low - i couldn't get a solid answer - but didn't wasnt to push the issue. trianing is about 2 years give or take a few months depending how fast you learn - they guys that gave me the tour said ot took him about 2 years. staffing- I have no idea
morale - everyone seemed ok - but I was only there for a few hours

MZ2009

May 30, 2009
who did you get in contact with to arrange a tour?? i would like to do the same...i am from that area and currently in the USAF as a controller, would like to get on board there when i get out (fingers crossed). thanks in advance!!

ouflyboy9

Rookie
Jun 25, 2009
who did you get in contact with to arrange a tour?? i would like to do the same...i am from that area and currently in the USAF as a controller, would like to get on board there when i get out (fingers crossed). thanks in advance!!
sorry for the tardy reply - A friend of mine set me up with a friend of his. I'll look around to seee what i can find

flyingwriter

I toured this facility about a month ago - I asked about the standard week - and it sounds like you bid for your days off once a year. the trainees only bid against each other. I also asked about the washout rate, they said it was pretty low - i couldn't get a solid answer - but didn't wasnt to push the issue. trianing is about 2 years give or take a few months depending how fast you learn - they guys that gave me the tour said ot took him about 2 years. staffing- I have no idea
This sounds good. I might be interested in going to Cleveland Center. I'm a Michigan guy but enroute really intrigues me. It's really the only center I'd be interested in.

baseballguy

Oct 25, 2009
Amherst
sorry kind of off topic...but what do ATCs do while in retirement? I know some are consultants...in NJ and washington...what else do they do? thanks!

baseballguy

Oct 25, 2009
Amherst

i talked with my dad (he was a controller at ZOB for 15 years) and he believes that 2 years in a row...they won an award for being 100% pass rate..not sure how long ago that was.

STLATCER

Aug 13, 2009
I just got redirected to ZOB and was told it would prob be about a year before a class date. I am VRA and was given a TOL in March of 09 to a tracon and got redirected about 2 weeks ago.

I am looking forward to coming to work there eventually, I am DOD right now. Dont know much about the area but I am from the midwest.

SdN

Mar 23, 2010
I've just received an invitation for an interview for a position at ZOB. Any information about the center and the surrounding area would be great as I've never been to that part of the country. I don't have any specific questions just curious what it's like there. From the replies in the thread so far it sounds like a good place to work.