Cleveland Center - ZOB

JM0127

Newcomer
Dec 17, 2015
Does anyone have the HR fax # for ZOB or just the NGL region really? I have called their HR office and emailed multiple times with no response.. You'd think I'd learn to have patience being an FAA employee..

c11anderson

May 6, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
So I have heard down here at the academy that there are quite a few guys or gals retiring or leaving cleveland this month or next month.. can anybody confirm or disprove this?

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Yup. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's well into the double digits.

Apparently, we're still low on the list for new hires though, and aren't scheduled to get any the rest of this year. Things are constantly changing though, and I find it hard to believe that no new hires will be walking through our doors for the next 6 months.

Pelfreyn

Newcomer
Jun 14, 2016
Cleveland
Any chance I can get some information to setup a tour for a high school student who is interested in being an ATC? He's debating whether to go Air Force or Kent State...and wanted to "shadow" someone for a few days to determine if this is something he wants to follow through with.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
I'm at a level 6 up/down but am from the great state of Ohio. How successful are terminal transfers? Ildes anyone have any insight about the transition from terminal to en route? Thanks!

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Probably goes without saying, but the biggest obstacle is the equipment, terminal people really struggle at first with this. As with anything though, practice makes perfect! At least having ATC experience, you're over mic fright, you shouldn't be bashful about having to coordinate or crank the hell out of someone for spacing or conflicts, drawing maps, etc.

Certainly an adjustment period, but completely doable!

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
Does ZOB have a history of picking up any terminal ERRs? I'm seriously thinking about putting one in. I do worry about how I will like the En Route environment because I really enjoy working in the terminal environment, especially in the TRACON.

Does NATCA and management have a good relationship at ZOB? What are the shifts like?

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
We certainly do! In my area alone, we have people from Scranton, PA (Wilkes-Barre) Toledo, Akron-Canton, Mansfield, and SoCal TRACON. Elsewhere in the facility, off the top of my head; KCLE, KCMH, Detroit TRACON, Atlanta TRACON, Charleston, WV, Reading, PA, more from KCAK, and probably a bunch that I'm forgetting or don't know the people.

From what I hear elsewhere in the FAA, how things work in other facilities, we have a great relationship with management! Our FACREP really knows his stuff, and has a great passion for what he does. He was even selected as part of the contract team!

Shifts are all over the boards really, just depends on your seniority, or if you have any special requests. i.e.- 4 evenings and a day, or 2 days and 3 mids, or 5 mids, etc. You can make the request to your area rep and/or the person building the schedules for the next year, then if they can accommodate you, they'll build your line into the new schedule. Only problem with that is, someone above you can pick it before it falls to you, so beware.

But,the typical schedules are 2 nights, 2 days, and a mid, or 2 evenings, and 3 days, or 3 evenings and 2 days. I have the least seniority shift there is at ZOB, Friday 3-11, Saturday 2-10, Sunday 7-3, Monday 6-2, back in Monday night at 10:30pm for the mid, get off at 6:30am, then Wednesday/Thursday off.

Have you ever taken a tour? Do you get back to Ohio often? That would be the best way to go about it...get in here, see what we do, and decide if it's something you want to try and put in for.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
Yeah have been 2 times. I know someone in area 4 and one in area 8. I also know a few developmentals from college that are there. I haven't visited in a few years though so I should come again. Sounds like a really solid facility. I might have to put in my papers.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Yea, my mother just retired after 30 years here, so I've been visiting this facility my whole life. lol

It didn't really sink in and click though until after I graduated CCBC, and even more when I got here after OKC.

Sounds like you already know what to do!

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Sup Josh ��

I went to Clevleand from a small up/down, and it seemed to work out fine. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box by any means, but for me the typing was one of the hardest parts. I know they have picked up numerous controllers from towers, just like Josh said, even some FLMs who had never seen a radar scope....put the paperwork in, visit the facility, and you should be good!

Cheers,
Yeti

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
Yeah I'm at a small up/down but from OH. I really want to go to CLE but with a possible downgrade, I just don't know. Level 8 pay is a huge difference from level 12 lol.

I'm also nervous I won't like the En Route environment because I'm a big Terminal guy.

m57

Mar 22, 2014
Yeah I'm at a small up/down but from OH. I really want to go to CLE but with a possible downgrade, I just don't know. Level 8 pay is a huge difference from level 12 lol.

I'm also nervous I won't like the En Route environment because I'm a big Terminal guy.
I'm in a similar spot of being from NE Ohio and wanting to get back home. CLE staffing just doesn't look promising unless they have a massive wave of retirements (or a massive influx of traffic haha). They are at like 110% right now and like you said are going to get downgraded soon. They still have the staffing for a 10 but are running 8 traffic. I'm at a 9 now and really don't have any interest in downgrading to places like YNG, TOL, ERI, (CAK and MFD are about to be swallowed up by CLE). I think ZOB is the best/realistic chance. CMH also looks to be well staffed too considering they swallowed up DAY not too long ago.

NE Ohio is one of the best kept secrets in the country for quality of life/cost of living. I'm in an area that has Rest of US locality (Southern US) and it is much more expensive to live here than it was in Ohio.

Last edited:

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Sup Josh ��
Hey buddy! Miss you...xoxo

Maybe you could mitigate your likes by asking for an area with low altitude sectors. It's always hilarious when we get these terminal transfers in, and they get placed in areas that only have highs...never issuing an altimeter setting again! Ask ^ j_time, he'll tell you all about it! hahaha

I like the complexity of my area. We're probably in the bottom 3 in the facility as far as traffic count goes, but we only have 2 high altitude sectors. Areas with 4 highs, or all highs have substantially more traffic than us by default.

We have a good mix of everything in my area though. We have a feeder sector into DTW that gets pretty crazy. We get fed 3 lines into a sector that's 45-50 miles wide, 3 way tie after 3 way tie, 10 or 15 miles in trail at the fix, 250kts depending on which runway DTW is using, strong winds out of the NW, overflights and satellite landers gumming up the works....it can take you down a peg or 2!

Busy departure pushes out of DTW, spacing for ORD and YYZ (Toronto) in our highs, a portion of non-radar in one of our sectors, clearances off uncontrolled airports, VFR pop ups, Oshkosh week, and we take over Saginaw, Flint, and Selfridge ANGB airspaces in the mids, so we run approaches into there and give departure clearances to the airlines in the morning before the towers open back up.

Keeps it interesting!

I'm in a similar spot of being from NE Ohio and wanting to get back home. CLE staffing just doesn't look promising unless they have a massive wave of retirements (or a massive influx of traffic haha). They are at like 110% right now and like you said are going to get downgraded soon. They still have the staffing for a 10 but are running 8 traffic. I'm at a 9 now and really don't have any interest in downgrading to places like YNG, TOL, ERI, (CAK and MFD are about to be swallowed up by CLE). I think ZOB is the best/realistic chance. CMH also looks to be well staffed too considering they swallowed up DAY not too long ago.

NE Ohio is one of the best kept secrets in the country for quality of life/cost of living. I'm in an area that has Rest of US locality (Southern US) and it is much more expensive to live here than it was in Ohio.
I think CLE is in fact going to have a wave of retirements in the next few years, not sure if that will open the flood gates to the dozens and dozens of people who want to get there though? Popular spot!!

And I agree, NE Ohio is a great place to live and work, especially on level 12 pay! I can't believe what some people have to pay for the same amount of house I have, or less, elsewhere in the country. And we have it pretty tame with weather. No hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, nothing. Brutal winters every now and then, but it makes you appreciate the summers that much more. I actually can't stand the heat that much, I'm ready for cooler temps and hoodie weather!

m57

Mar 22, 2014
You west-siders don't know what a brutal winter is haha. No lake effect snow in Oberlin.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Haha, nope...thank god!

Although I did get a sweet snowblower last year that I only got to use once, it's got tracks instead of wheels...thing's a tank!

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
I don't have the link to the document, but on an NCEPT projection sheet CLE was the most well-staffed facility in the FAA, like 140.1% I think.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
CLE is#12 on the list at 110.3%. BWI is #1 at 140.9% Right now I have ERRs into CMH who is at 102.4% and CLE. Chances are not looking good lol

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
A friend of mine at work is from Columbus, and has been trying to get there for 2 years now. It's either been ZOB not being able to release him at the time, then they're able to release him, but CMH couldn't take him, back and forth, back and forth this whole time. Not looking too good there either!